My version of diy nv made simple

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
marc.postle

My version of diy nv made simple

Post by marc.postle » 23 Jun 2014, 20:29

Hi all,
This is my first post so be kind :lol:
I found this forum a couple of weeks ago and after reading quite a few posts, i placed some orders and got lots of goodies.
While researching this i had a few questions mainly about the wires and connections which i didn't want to bother people with asking so i guessed/ bought more then i needed so i would cover myself if i didn't get what i expected when everything arrived.
For the people who have already built systems like this, sorry for sounding obvious but i am going to write this as simple as possible so a noob like me can follow and understand.

Before i begin i will point out that i am a very impatient person and wanted everything the minute i ordered it so i used parts from uk sellers so my bits didn't need a ride on the slow boat (except for one, my mistake) If you were to copy this on a budget and don't mind waiting a couple of weeks you might be able to save a few quid.

I opted for a day scope add on rather then fixed night vision gun as i do more hunting during the day and i cannot afford a second gun for job.
I also went with the e700 camera as that seems to be the going lens on the forum and after having a play with it, i can second that!

From sure24 i got:

E700 camera £68.34
http://www.sure24.co.uk/kpc-e700pub-16b ... c-internal
Power splitter £3.54
http://www.sure24.co.uk/sure-lddc2pis-2 ... 1-socket-1

From ebay:

4.3" screen £13.19
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171245568616? ... 1497.l2649
Battery pack £21.97
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181424578859? ... 1497.l2649
T20 illuminator £42.00
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201103588700? ... 1497.l2649
Mount for illuminator £7.94
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171245692968? ... 1497.l2649
Mount for the screen (after modifacation) £2.69 I didn't realise this came from china so i'm still waiting for it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331024298130? ... 1497.l2649
Camera housing + dsa £65.00 I struggled to get myself to buy this as theres a lot cheaper ways of doing this but i'm glad i did, it's very well made and looks spot on!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281363286950? ... 1497.l2649

I did buy a few cable adaptors aswell but as i haven't used them i won't bother listing them

The screen came with 2 inputs (white and yellow) and the red 12v in. The while one isn't used so disregard that.
It also included a video lead to connect the screen to camera.

The camera comes with a little plug that has a black 12v in and a yellow video out with a RCA plug
Rather then using the orginal connections that would mean i had about 5m of extention cable inline i cut the plug off the camera and swapped it with one off the extention.

Using the power cable splitter, i connected it to the battery and joined camera and screen to it

The illuminator and mount go together and attach to the rail of the dsa

There wasn't an adaptor in the dsa that fit my scope perfectly so i made my own although a couple of rizlas used as shims would have clamped it tight with the supplied one (My one is on the left)

Like i said, i'm still waiting for the screen mount but when it comes i will attach it upside down using the torch clamp part and remove the barrel clamp part and using the 4 holes in the clamp, drill the screen mount to suite it and bolt it on.
I saw this tip on another diy post but i can't find it now to credit the poster or show a picture to help understand how it goes but as soon as mine comes i will take some pictures and put them up.

I've had a quick play with it in the garden and it's absolutely brilliant, the quality and detail is much more then i expected.
I can make out individual leaves on trees at 150 yds and i'm sure it will work much further then that.
Unfortunately, i'm on the wrong shift this week to do some midnight hunting but next week, its game on!
The only thing i would change if i did it again would be to use a screen with some sort of record function in it but i might still add a recorder inline this one if i find anything suitable.

All this was £224.67 but i recon i could have done it £50 cheaper if i have made the camera mount and got all the bits from china but as far as i'm concerned, it's still a lot cheaper then a bought night vision.

I hope this helps someone else with there built and if you have any questions, don't ask me because i don't know nothing :lol:

22-250jock

Re: My version of diy nv made simple

Post by 22-250jock » 23 Jun 2014, 20:37

welcome to the forum Marc :thumbup:

great first post there mate :clap: :clap: looks like you're well and truly hooked :lol: :lol:

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 23 Jun 2014, 20:39

Good first post and excellent first build fella, it shows this forum is the place to be, to learn and to produce quality night vision builds. Well done. :thumbup:

Toni

gypo

Post by gypo » 23 Jun 2014, 20:47

Well done mate, looks nice and neat. Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
G

michael40

Post by michael40 » 23 Jun 2014, 22:03

looking good mate, well done. :thumbup:

welcome to the forum

Atb, mike

blueeyes

Post by blueeyes » 24 Jun 2014, 06:24

Well done that man just what we want pic pic and more pics welcome to the forum :thumbup:

marc.postle

Post by marc.postle » 24 Jun 2014, 15:21

Thanks for the comments, i'm glad i did it right and nobody has said 'you don't want to do it like that'

I came home from work to find a package from sitting on my door step so i have how finished the install.

As i said earlier, i have turned the mount upside down and mounted the torch part to my scope

I lost the clamp part of the barrel clamp and replaced it with the foot of the screen

Then i have mounted it all up and tested. i found i needed to space the screen away from the gun abit so i can turn the screen and not catch the gun. I will make a new foot when i get a change so it looks neater.

I finished setting up in my living room with the gun on my lap and when i switched it on this is what i saw

All i can say is thats a very lucky pigeon for choosing the neighbors roof and not my garden.

Finished set up:

The pouch is my old satnav case, i've ordered some velcro strapping to fix it to the stock.

Omni

Post by Omni » 29 Jun 2014, 18:29

Well done and great build :clap:

How long do you get out of the 1800mah battery running the screen and camera?

Also what scope are you running?

Thanks.

marc.postle

Post by marc.postle » 29 Jun 2014, 19:21

I have no idea about the battery life as I have only used it to mess around with in the garden but I'm going out tonight so I will see how well it does.
The scope is a hawke eclipse 3-12x50

Omni

Post by Omni » 29 Jun 2014, 19:51

marc.postle wrote:I have no idea about the battery life as I have only used it to mess around with in the garden but I'm going out tonight so I will see how well it does.
The scope is a hawke eclipse 3-12x50
i thought it was a hawke :)

Have a good hunt and let me know how long it lasts please? My kit should be here by Tuesday (waiting for my screen from China) :( Then I will be getting on with my build :)