Best way to use a Leica Apo 77 telescope for nighttime intruders

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
FireballXL5

Best way to use a Leica Apo 77 telescope for nighttime intruders

Postby FireballXL5 » 18 Jun 2017, 10:37

Hi.
Anyone suggest the best way to utilise a 77mm Leica Apo telescope for nightvision spotting?
I seem to go around in circles from laser illuminators and infrared cameras to infrared monitors and infrared LED illuminators.
So for spotting intruders at about 300 yards, can my daytime telescope do the business?
Any help, please!
Regards.

Clunge

Re: Best way to use a Leica Apo 77 telescope for nighttime intruders

Postby Clunge » 18 Jun 2017, 13:30

Hi. Firstly, if you use a laser and spot someone, you'll have to immediately turn off your laser, as deliberately shining lasers at people (even if they are intruders) will get you into big trouble.

What actual cameras and IR illuminators have you tried with your telescope so far, and what result did you get?

PS. What magnification did you use, as generally the lower the better?

Radagast
junior librarian

Postby Radagast » 18 Jun 2017, 13:48

You will need an infrared sensitive camera that can mount on the eye piece of the scope and a screen to show you the image. the E700 camera from Sure 24 is the most commonly used by forum members.

A t66, T67 or T74 Infrared LED torch will easily give you that reach, and will not risk burning someones eyes the way a non eye safe infrared laser would. That said they are not safe to look into up close.

If you can't figure out how to mount the camera, torch and screen with the scope, then I suggest you simply buy a bespoke 'spotter' from Some Bloke on here which has a combined torch, camera, lens, handle, screen and battery housing. Tell him the distances you wish to see to and he will provide the necessary size lens and torch head.

FireballXL5

Postby FireballXL5 » 19 Jun 2017, 17:26

Hi,
Thanks for info.

I haven't tried an infrared camera yet. I have a 20-60 eyepiece for the scope.

I wondered about laser safety, but thought that at 300yds and diffused to a spread of about 10 to 20 feet it would be better for me and better for them! Oh well.

The IR LED is probably the way to go.

Really appreciated your time,

Regards.

Radagast
junior librarian

Postby Radagast » 19 Jun 2017, 23:43

The issue is people move, you can't guarantee that someone will not approach the laser.
I have reduced night vision after playing with IR torches, including looking straight into the LED. The iris does not contract and there is no blink reflex with IR, so the eye can be overloaded with energy.
There are eye safe lasers with a filter in the front, but these give a very poor quality image.
Just using a laser or torch with the scope will not work, unless it is in a visible wave length, which defeats the covert capability you are looking for.

Return to “General Nightvision”