Sightron 2.5-17.5x56 with Ward 800

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
JCS1993

Sightron 2.5-17.5x56 with Ward 800

Postby JCS1993 » 19 Jan 2018, 13:45

I Have just bought a sightron s-tac 2.5-17.5x56 to use with a ward 800l as I thought it would work great... only problem is i can not get a clear picture with it at all on anything past 10 mag?? :crazy:
I have used the 800l on my nikko stirling previously and have no problem identidying things past 300 yards on 18x.
Also i am using a sunranger with black sun ruby pill.
Does anyone have any ideas, would be appreciated!

Jon

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Sightron 2.5-17.5x56 with Ward 800

Postby phoenix » 19 Jan 2018, 15:24

Maybe you've already done this so my apologies, but this is the best sequence to set up a scope with a rear add-on
1. Fit the add-on and check the sharpness of the scope reticle in the add-on display
2. If necessary, adjust the ocular on the scope to produce a sharp image of the reticle on the add-on display. it's quite possible that the setting of the ocular will be different for day use and for use at night with the add-on.
3. Once you have a sharp image of the reticle in the add-on display adjust the side focus of the scope to bring the target into focus.
4. Run the scope through it's full range of magnifications to check that the reticle remain in focus throughout the full range of magnifications.
5. if it does not stay in focus throughout the full range of magnifications, then set the magnification at what you most commonly use to take the shot and adjust the ocular to get the reticle sharp at that magnification. it should stay sharp for a fair range of magnifications both higher and lower than what you set it for.

If you want the add-on to give a sharp image of the reticle at the same ocular setting as used for daylight use, then you'd probably have to open up the add-on and adjust the position of the camera lens

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

warbucks

Postby warbucks » 19 Jan 2018, 15:33

Hi Jon.
I could be light spillage
Was you using this same i/r with the nikko sterling, with the beam on the same setting ?
Is there any way you could aim the torch in front of the scope so that no light spillage on the rifle at all, then mag up, if it will then go all the way to 17.5 it confirms its light spillage ?
If it is this then you need to get the torch as far back and as low as possible so the scope its self blocks some of this spilled light, adding a sun shade also help's, you also want the beam tightened so its just inside the scope view to reduce this spillage.

Tubed add on's suffer from the above with these's led torches, lasers dont spill the light like led torches
Do you know anyone that has a dragonfly laser to try, this might also sort your problem if its light spillage

Might be none of the above -----we don't usually hear bad reports on the S-tac---------what i will say is mate and i had a night dedicated to testing scopes, i/r's with the Wardy 700, and pvs 14, the S-tac worked better with the pvs 14 but no better with the Wardy than mamba-lite, mtc viper, hawke side winder AGS 3-12x44.------the 4-16x50 hawke side winder is about the best all rounder.

Dave (warbucks)

JCS1993

Postby JCS1993 » 19 Jan 2018, 16:40

Thank you Bruce and Dave,

I think I have tried most of what you have said apart from experimenting with the position of the IR torch, will have another play over the weekend to see if i can get a better result. If not there the scope will be up for sale as its going on a rifle i only use at night so pointless keeping it otherwise! :lol:

Thanks again
Jon

Muskett

Postby Muskett » 19 Jan 2018, 22:24

I know its obvious but check with the WDV800i that you have the screen on bright!

Ensure the WDV is butted tight to the ocular, so nothing gets in from the back end.
Then there is ir spill coming off the moderator which makes the sensor adjust down. Sunshade helps here.

The Ruby is powerful and too much most of the time when focused tight. I'm still playing but at under 150m the beam is too strong even for the 700 to tame. (Xsearcher torch which is a pain to change to flood). Must go and play more.

A 56 objective is going to drag in loads more than say a 50.
Coatings wise its more about clarity fuzz, strafe, than brightness.

I test off a hill so nothing is in the way.

Tell us how you get on.

JCS1993

Postby JCS1993 » 20 Jan 2018, 19:12

I believe i owe sightron an apology for this ! :lolno:

Just had another play with the scope off the rifle, and with a FULLY charged ir battery , it is fantastic.
Was looking at a small tree which i have ranged at 312 yards on 14-15 mag and had a very clear picture, and could see well enough to spot with for atleast 80-100 yards further than that.

It does deteriate quite badly on full mag, but that is not an issue for me.

Just hope optics warehouse will let me swap it for the model with covered turrets now as i ordered the exposed turrets by mistake!

Its a 10/10 from me :thumbup:

Return to “General Nightvision”