Digital night vision

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Richard Griffith

Digital night vision

Post by Richard Griffith » 09 Aug 2018, 11:08

Hello Gents.Im after some help in going further down the digital route and looking for real world performance data from people that actually use gear and not from the sellers website.Having tried a photon xt and a Vulpine add on I have not been impressed by the quality of the images and am wondering as regards the performance of the Addonlight and its clones and the Ward 800.I have a nikko sterling scope which parallaxes down to 10yards and a Nightmaster 800 with a Clive Ward black sun ir pill.I cannot justify spending in excess of 1k so the Digiceptor is out.Required for foxing so require shooting distances up to 300 yards.Any reccomendations/advice would be very welcome.Richard .

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Re: Digital night vision

Post by cliveward » 09 Aug 2018, 11:33

Hi Richard,

For the best chance of success I would suggest our Ward D Vision 800L and one of our Black Sun Ruby pills in your nightmaster.

This combination will give you pretty much the best range and indeed image clarity at range of any of the digital night vision add ons available.

The 800L uses the same camera as the Vulpine, but a much better lens system. The 800L also has a higher resolution 800x600 display.

Here's some video of actual real world foxing but using a smaller 38mm Black Sun Ruby IR. The view through the display is quite a lot better than the captured video.

Other advantages of the 800 series are the ergonomics (it doesn't affect your shooting position), 8 hour run time, it's very rugged construction, 3 year warranty and availability of upgrades to newer technology as and when it's available.

Cheers

Clive

Richard Griffith

Post by Richard Griffith » 09 Aug 2018, 12:41

Thanks for the reply Clive.Will mull over your comments and probably go with your reccomendations.Richard

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 10 Aug 2018, 09:22

Hi Richard.

If you have tried the Vulpine and your not happy with it, "i would think" you wont be happy with the Wardy 800L, but if you want to try one do so.
If you are wanting up to 300 yds for fox with ANY ADD ON you need to pick your night and background (which you carn't always do) by this i mean good n/v background, and nights with low water content, the difference between how the n/v add on performs up to 10pm, and how it performs at 2 am can be massive, as soon as you start to get condensation forming on the car the n/v picture will get worse, ive had a lot of these's nights on rabbits with my Wardy 700 L, some nights it will struggle at 100 yds, other nights it will do 300 yds, -----------if you buy any add on this is what you will have to work round.
Looking at some of your other posts you have a thermal spotter, if you had asked me before you bought this that you had £2500 to spend on n/v and spotting of spotting foxes to shoot up to 300 yds, the first thing i would have suggested is buying a Drone pro 10x (the new Digiceptor might be ok also), the DP is head and shoulders a better foxing sight than all the add on's, it will allow you to still shoot foxes at range when you would be going back home with an add on, if funds are restricted the thermal spotter is the LAST thing to purchase.
I do have a thermal spotter but i dont use it all the time, it far easier to spot with the red torch OVER LONG PERIODS OF TIME or whilst driving and spotting, however if i do know that the fox there is lamp shy then its the thermal.
This might be not what you are wanting to hear, but ive gained this knowledge through spending thousands of pounds on equipment and around 20 night time hrs per week all year round.

Dave (warbucks)

Coling

Post by Coling » 10 Aug 2018, 10:18

Richard
I totally agree with what Dave says if your not getting the performance you desire then for me I would go down the the second hand drone or the dicifer but the latter could be a wait and needs to be proven yet .
You could always put a post on here for you to look at someones drone ect I would definitely try before you buy before you invest more of your hard earned.

whitehackle

Post by whitehackle » 10 Aug 2018, 21:28

I would disagree about the thermal spotter being the last thing to buy. I shot for years with a thermal spotter and red torch for the shot. If you can not detect your target, you can not shoot it. Any amout of having to scan through a scope attached to a rifle is hard work.

I have moved on to a ward d 700, but there was nothing wrong with shooting with a light.

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 11 Aug 2018, 08:50

whitehackle wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 21:28
I would disagree about the thermal spotter being the last thing to buy. I shot for years with a thermal spotter and red torch for the shot. If you can not detect your target, you can not shoot it. Any amout of having to scan through a scope attached to a rifle is hard work.

I have moved on to a ward d 700, but there was nothing wrong with shooting with a light.
Why have you moved to n/v if you were shooting ok with a light?

Lights are fine until you get lamp shy foxes on your patch!

whitehackle

Post by whitehackle » 11 Aug 2018, 09:57

Yes having the nv on the scope does help, but not as much as the thermal spotter. That is what I was trying to say

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 11 Aug 2018, 11:41

Richard has said on another post that he has a thermal spotter xq38 ? already, he then says he cannot justify spending over £1000 on n/v for up to 300 yd foxes.
So he is spending is AROUND £3000.
If i only had £3000 to spend for the above, first purchase would be the Drone Pro 10x or equal ?, second purchase would be a red T20/50 multi power torch, and remaining money ? would be spent on a n/v spotter ----------here's WHY
9 out of 10 foxes can be spotted with CAREFUL use of the red torch, by careful i mean having the torch on them for less than a second, all you need to know at this stage is there is some thing FOX LIKE there (fox cat owl) once you know you can then check out what it is while your getting your n/v cross hairs on it, the benefits on doing it this way is in most situations (fox/rabbits) that as soon as the torch come off them, they feel safe and will carry on with their business, clear n/v picture for me is priority.
The problem with spotting with thermal, then shooting under the lamp is the lamp is on the fox longer this way as you first have to re find the fox with the scope/lamp, then place your crosshairs exactly, this takes time for which a lot of foxes wont allow you.
A torch can be used while walking, driving, easier to use than thermal when foxing over bait for periods of over 4 hrs, with the torch you can see without having to put it to your eye, in the 4 hr example doing thermal once every minute would be 240 lifting it to your eye either leaving it on all the time (recalibrating its self) or on/off.
OK some foxes will be lamp and i/r shy, thats because some one has had a go at them and missed (done it myself) here thermal will help, but as ive said it needs to be the last purchase because of the cost.

Dave (warbucks)

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 11 Aug 2018, 13:36

Dave I'm the opposite, if I could only own one thing related to hunting it would be a Thermal. I'd rather have a thermal spotter with a rifle mounted torch if funds were tight, with torch light or NV you can very easily miss things, for me anyway, If I was purely after foxes, I'd spot with thermal and get into position with rifle looking through thermal at rough area, scope already on low mag, torch on, then mag up if required.

Best combination as we already now is Thermal and NV, but sometimes we all don't have that luxury.