airmax scope

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
phillip

airmax scope

Post by phillip » 03 Apr 2017, 06:43

Hi all, well I'm starting to think that iv bought the wrong scope back last year for my hw100, the problem Is I would luk to go down the add on nv route but I got a Hawke airmax with the illuminated ret switch at the back that sticks out, has any one found it to be ok ,same set uo etc ,thanks In advance,phil

Cottis

Re: airmax scope

Post by Cottis » 03 Apr 2017, 15:24

I don't have an Airmax and not sure exactly what model you have but I had a quick look online and the IR adjustment knob looks to be far enough forward for something like a Wardy 700 to fit on no probs.

To get a sharp crisp picture of the crosshairs due to the proximity of the camera to the rear lens, the ocular adjustment has to be screwed out approx half way (on my various scopes anyway, one of which is an old Hawke Eclipse) so guessing yours would be the same. This means the Wardy sits ever further back giving even more relief from the IR adj knob.

I would post a pic but I cannot be bothered with photobucket and my stupid slow rural BB connection.

I just measured the Wardy's internal gapping from camera lens cover to wear it would sit on the back of a scope. Any relief over 25mm from the most rearward point of the IR adj know and the back edge of the ocular lens once screwed out approx halfway will/should be fine.

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 03 Apr 2017, 15:25

wear? WTF. Where is what I meant.

Awful spelling.

phillip

Post by phillip » 03 Apr 2017, 17:01

Hi cottis, thanks for that, so basically as long as there's 25mm from the rheostat knob,to end of scope I should be fine ,and more if the ocular is turned out a few mm, so basically hope is not lost, for a dsa, ,thanks again

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 03 Apr 2017, 17:18

Cottis makes a good point - and I had it mind when I expressed concern about my DSA possibly not sliding onto the eyebell all the way to the tapered end stop inside. Both the Hawke scopes I have tried needed the ocular adjuster about half way out for my eyes.

I'm not 100% certain it would suit so rather than boldly assure you it does fit I'd rather make it known it may not. My DSA is likely to need about 32mm from the rear of the ocular wheel to the module - and if you remind me I can make a short ring so it would meet your ocular at a shorter distance in case its needed.

I just took another look at some photo's and I see the module is indeed further forwards than many - and the base of it is not as large as some others I have seen. I am therefore much more confident it will be suitable. :angel:

phillip

Post by phillip » 03 Apr 2017, 18:01

Brill ,thanks some bloke, I just measured the distance from ocular and rheostat is 30 mm and 37 mm half way turned out, so ,ill take your advice and reminde about the shorter thread , thanks both and top forum

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 03 Apr 2017, 18:05

:angel:

pete65

Post by pete65 » 03 Apr 2017, 18:27

I had a threaded dsa on my add on for an air max scope. The thread is m38 0.6 if it helps anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 03 Apr 2017, 18:32

pete65 wrote:I had a threaded dsa on my add on for an air max scope. The thread is m38 0.6 if it helps anyone

One of these? although I had some made I'm not overly keen on using them with the ocular adjuster wheel unscrewed about half way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGB_nFx_KIU&t=9s

pete65

airmax scope

Post by pete65 » 03 Apr 2017, 19:10

Similar. For the life of me I'm trying to remember where I got it! The thread was separate to the tube, held in place with 3 screws so you could screw it in, adjust the ocular then orientate the camera