High end scopes with wardy add on

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Sean223

High end scopes with wardy add on

Post by Sean223 » 30 Nov 2017, 23:19

Hi All. Just joined the form and this is my first post. Been reading the form alot the past while trying to learn a few things about night vision, which isn’t easy. Am thinking about buying a wardy 800L but after reading alot of posts theirs mixed info on high end scopes. Before I buy the wardy I need to know if these scopes work or if anybody has tried or is using any with there add on. Scopes are S&B PM11 5-25x56, Swarovski Z6i 4-16x50 or Zeiss Hensolt 4-16x56. Any advice would be great. Cheers.

scirroco

Re: High end scopes with wardy add on

Post by scirroco » 08 Dec 2017, 13:47

Dropped i to clives hq the other day and put the wardy on the back of a swaro z6i gen 2 hd glass, looked fi e in daytime..the swaro worked excellent with a pvs 14 so can see a prob
Rgds steve

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 08 Dec 2017, 14:01

There are two problems with using a Ward type rear add-on with high end scopes designed primarily for shooting at dawn and dusk.
One is that the coatings on the lenses are optimised for light at the blue end of the spectrum - because that's the predominant colour of daylight at dawn and dusk.
Being optimised for blue light means that they are not particularly good at passing the IR light we use for NV.
There are lots of examples of cheap scopes outperforming high end scopes when used with a rear add-on and an IR illuminator
The second problem is that even if your high end scope has focus adjustment, it's unlikely to go below 50 metres, and in many cases it won't go below 100 metres.
Because IR light comes to a focus at a different point from visible light, the focus control needs to go down to around 10 metres to be able to produce a focussed image when using IR as the source of illumination.
This focus problem becomes worse as scope magnification increases and is probably manageable up to around x6-x8.
The only way to find out is to try the add-on with your different scopes.
Remember that if you buy the add-on, you have 14 days in which to return it for a full refund (assuming you send it back in the same condition you received it)

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

rjudd

Post by rjudd » 08 Dec 2017, 15:30

Hi. I use a swarovski habicht 6-24×50 and an my viper 4-16x50 with my ward 800. Have shot out to 180y with it and spotted foxes to 300 but this is its max.
The mtc I have shot foxes to 260y and can see way way further, with the new ruby pill in a sunranger I can now mag up to 16x at 300y with the mtc and 20x at 220y with the swaro. Also the paralax can be an issue with swaro as it doesn't go bellow 50. I can get a clearer image with the mtc. That said the image on the swaro is still clear just not at closer ranges.
Cheers

weejohn

Post by weejohn » 08 Dec 2017, 18:10

I have a new ward 800L gathering dust in the cupboard as it doesn't work with my march scope , the picture is really pretty rubbish .

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 08 Dec 2017, 20:14

I tried the both the 800 L and the S on one of my Zeiss 6-24*56’s and couldn’t get a good picture... mainly because it only parallaxes down to 50m. :(

Cheers

Fizz
8-)
Image Image

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting....but, heck.....I just like posting. :crazy: :lol:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 08 Dec 2017, 20:32

I don't think any of the "big 3" (Swaro, Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender) make a scope that parallaxes below 50m
March and IOR do have scopes that parallax down below 10m, but someone has already said that their March is poor with IR
I haven't heard from anyone who uses an IOR with a rear add-on
I fancy Sightron and Delta Optical are probably the best compromise between visible and IR performance and which also parallax down to 10m
A shooting buddy is getting a Delta Optical 5-50x56 as chrissy prezzy (lucky ba***rd) so I'll definitely be giving it a try with a Wardy type add-on

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 08 Dec 2017, 20:47

I've just taken off a very nice Zeiss off my .223 to put on a pretty rubbish MTC Mamba Lite.
The Zeiss was unworkable with my WDV, the Mamba works.
I sold a Bushnell 6500, great scope, and bought a Hawke Sidewinder; all to work with the WDV. The Bushnell had the right parallax but a grainy ir look as the coatings were fighting the ir.

I'm still looking for a good day scope that lets ir through well. The Ruby LED should get through some coatings better than 840 or 920nm??? Its all about the coatings and parallax settings.

Bruce, nicely put.

scirroco

Post by scirroco » 08 Dec 2017, 22:13

Swarovski z6i gen 2..2.5-10x56
Paralaxes down to 25 m
Rgds steve

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 08 Dec 2017, 22:47

phoenix wrote:I don't think any of the "big 3" (Swaro, Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender) make a scope that parallaxes below 50m
March and IOR do have scopes that parallax down below 10m, but someone has already said that their March is poor with IR
I haven't heard from anyone who uses an IOR with a rear add-on
I fancy Sightron and Delta Optical are probably the best compromise between visible and IR performance and which also parallax down to 10m
A shooting buddy is getting a Delta Optical 5-50x56 as chrissy prezzy (lucky ba***rd) so I'll definitely be giving it a try with a Wardy type add-on

Cheers

Bruce
I have a 5-50 x 56 Stryker. What a scope it is as well.

I have not used it in anger with the Wardy 700 in the field but I did stick it on quickly and have a squiz out the window with a T20 out to 100ards. Looked pretty good to me. At least on par with an old Hawke and Nikko Stirling that has previously been used to good effect on an HMR. It focuses down to less than 10m and the parallax adjustment is the best I have ever used on any scope in terms of actually being 100% bang on for the indicated ranges. I have high hopes for it and think it appears to be the best compromise scope I have found that will do pretty much everything, albeit with a weight premium. The reticule is beyond delicious. Time will tell when it has had a few months of use but at present, I cannot really fault it.