Photon RT or XT

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Huntsman

Photon RT or XT

Postby Huntsman » 03 Dec 2017, 00:30

Hi there,been on here for a while now,but now want to dip my toes into NV.My question is though,as i am putting NV on an air rifle of legal limit,is it worth paying more for the Photon RT over the simpler XT.I don't need recording ability,but the RT has the better sensor plus zoom.Would i be better off with the XT and double it if i felt the need.Should mention that i was going too buy the larger mag model,not the 4.6,any help/opinions welcome lads.Cheers.

villaman

Re: Photon RT or XT

Postby villaman » 03 Dec 2017, 11:56

Neather

philong

Postby philong » 03 Dec 2017, 14:33

6x, xt will do you well for sub 12..best buy additional IR too..

Huntsman

Postby Huntsman » 05 Dec 2017, 20:17

Cheers,i have a Deben F900 that i am buying the ir pill for.Do you know if the RT has a significantly better sensor/image than the XT ?

Villaman,what are you using if not a Photon,is it a home build?

andy66

Postby andy66 » 05 Dec 2017, 20:57

The xt is more than good enough for a sub 12ftlbs air rifle, even the inbuilt ir will be plenty illumination. I was using my mates 4.6 mag fitted to his FAC air rifle and taking turns dropping rabbits out to 60yds. Personally I think the 4.6 mag is better suited for air rifles for the wider field of view for quick acquisition shots.

philong

Postby philong » 05 Dec 2017, 21:39

Huntsman wrote:Cheers,i have a Deben F900 that i am buying the ir pill for.Do you know if the RT has a significantly better sensor/image than the XT ?

From what I've read.. yes it is an Improved sensor on the RT..both good IMO...shop around and xt is available for sub £400.. you've got additional IR...

villaman

Postby villaman » 07 Dec 2017, 20:43

Huntsman wrote:Cheers,i have a Deben F900 that i am buying the ir pill for.Do you know if the RT has a significantly better sensor/image than the XT ?

villaman

Postby villaman » 07 Dec 2017, 20:55

My mate has had two photons the older model and newer one with lens conversion , IMO and his , both of us thought they are awful
I did have Pulsar N550 ,which was a game changer but now i have Pulsar N870 LRF on my airgun . Would have nothing else and nothing on the market to match it either Some go on about DP they may be ok for rimfire or centerfire but not airgun IMO

muntjackdjb

Postby muntjackdjb » 08 Dec 2017, 22:05

Photon xt is very good for the money. For sub 12 they don't need an extra ir. I have used one without extra ir when my torch went flat on my .22lr picture is not as good but I managed

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Huntsman

Postby Huntsman » 11 Dec 2017, 23:23

villaman wrote:

My mate has had two photons the older model and newer one with lens conversion , IMO and his , both of us thought they are awful
I did have Pulsar N550 ,which was a game changer but now i have Pulsar N870 LRF on my airgun . Would have nothing else and nothing on the market to match it either Some go on about DP they may be ok for rimfire or centerfire but not airgun IMO

I really can't justify buying an N870 LRF,although i have looked through a few of the recent models of NV equipment lately.The N870 LRF blew me away,but i don't shoot at night often enough to spend that sort of money.All i want is a sub 12 usable rig,and by the sounds of it,i can get a better,cleaner image with decent ir,and the F900 seems to do well,having spoke to a few lads.As i already have the F900 kit,all i need is the pill and i'm good to go.IT's a first step for me,i'll just see how things go before getting in deeper,but i general it seems the Photon gets mostly positive reviews,it has it's faults,but they seem to be overcome with a bit of thought.

Return to “General Nightvision”