Yukon Ranger RT

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Yukon Ranger RT

Postby sunndog » 07 Jan 2018, 13:19

Got a link to the lamp you have?

You might be as well to convert your t50 or t67 to 12v....or just run them on 18650's

Pics of ranger truck spotters might be buried deep in the forum somewhere. You could try trawing through the d.i.y section in reverse order
oslon black drivers
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

cookey

Postby cookey » 07 Jan 2018, 16:20

The spot lam is from eBay .. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 509653778..
Similar to that one my t50 and t67 have both got ir fitted
But not 12v ...
I’ll have a look on the diy section see what pops up if any thing .

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby sunndog » 07 Jan 2018, 21:34

I think a ranger might be a bit heavy for that. I built a spotter from a remote lamp like that a few years ago and it took a lot of fettling to get it to take the weight, even then the plastic gears would skip every few weeks till it would just freewheel down to the bottom of its travel

The key is to keep the weight back, don't have any of the build hanging off the front, It might well mean cutting the housing to some degree.
By the time you've built all that though the ranger makes for an expansive camera when the preffered E700 camera is only about £60
oslon black drivers

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Postby phoenix » 07 Jan 2018, 23:41

If I was going to build a roof mounted spotter using a Yukon Ranger, I'd simply mount it on Light Force or Deben remote handle either through the roof of the vehicle or with a roof bar.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby sunndog » 08 Jan 2018, 07:15

phoenix wrote:If I was going to build a roof mounted spotter using a Yukon Ranger, I'd simply mount it on Light Force or Deben remote handle either through the roof of the vehicle or with a roof bar.

Cheers

Bruce

Agreed
oslon black drivers

cookey

Postby cookey » 08 Jan 2018, 15:14

Yes I know the e700 is only about €60 but when you add up the rest of the cost of making a spotter I still thing this is viable as I have a spair t65 and have a remote lamp screen will be an iPad .. only cost iv actually put out was the Yukon Ranger RT.
And if it’s not up to scratch I’ll sell it on and start againe ..
As for the lightforce remote I don’t fancy making a hole in my roof for it my poor landrover leaks enough without adding to it lol sun roof :lol: ..
for now I’ll work with what iv got if it works grate if it does not work not so grate .
It will be bk to the drawing board ,,,,,

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby sunndog » 08 Jan 2018, 17:39

Rest of the cost? Other than the camera the only thing you are really using on the ranger is the wifi thing
A screen and a few odds and ends will run you about £20 or so
given you already have an illuminator to use you could convert the roof mounted lamp for under £100

I keep meaning to change the wireless roof spotter i made ages ago (i'll dig a pic out later)
Your lamp should work, just don't hang any weight off the front or the crappy plastic gearing wont cope
oslon black drivers

cookey

Postby cookey » 08 Jan 2018, 20:28

Agh that cheap I was thinking it would be more expensive I may yet go down the root of converting it and mayb not using the ranger as a roof mounted spotter just keep it for bunny spotting and the odd fox ..
any way iv it bought now so I’ll have a play with it .if it’s any good I’ll keep it if not either sell it or install a new ir and camera in it

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby sunndog » 11 Jan 2018, 10:36

Heres the remote spotter i built with a lamp similar to yours

It was fine at first after a lot of fettling but the gears couldn't stand the weight i hung off the front. I built it the way i did so i could easily remove the cam and i.r and have a wireless set up anywhere i wanted

Heres the quick wireless viewer i knocked up......never got beyond prototype cos it worked well enough lol

oslon black drivers

cookey

Postby cookey » 13 Jan 2018, 15:15

I see now what you mean by being top front heavy..
that’s a build that has potential I’d say thanks for the photos it has given me sum ideas ..

Return to “General Nightvision”