Photon Extreme, which IR?

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Night Ninja

Photon Extreme, which IR?

Post by Night Ninja » 18 Jan 2018, 19:17

Hi there.

This is my first post but I have been a long time lurker. Although not new to the night vision world, I am, like most I suspect, a little bewildered by the range of kit now available.

I started off with a N550 and doubler, expensive and crap, which I sold to get an ATN Night Arrow 4 2nd Gen CGT, not so expensive but still crap, and now I have a 4.2 Photon + doubler, not so expensive and not so crap. These have been backed up by NM400 and NM800 IR torches, with which I have more or less defended mine and my neighbours fields and livestock from marauding rabbit and fox.

I have in the past year or so gone back to the ease of lamping, esp around lambing as I have never found the level of NV I can afford any good. However I have been keeping up with developments via this rather interesting and informative forum.

Anyway this leads me on to my queries, having read most of the posts on here about the replacing Photon's front lens and then receiving a small tax rebate I took the plunge and bought a 135mm and a 55mm Takumar from a well known auction site and an a adapter from SRB. The 135mm is F3.5 and judging by the posts here it would seem that my NM may not have enough oomph.

So could someone lay out the options for the latest illumination?

Do I buy a new unit? If so which is the best for the task, 200+ yard fox with the 135mm on a .204 and 100 yard rabbit with the 55mm on a .22/HMR?

Do I get a Black Sun or a Sun Ranger or a T50, a ruby one, an aspheric one or a lazer and whats the differences between them?

Could I update the NM with a new "pill"?

Could I upgrade the 400 and keep the 800 for spotting with the NA4?

Why shouldn't I use twin batteries with certain heads?

I could go on but I'll stop here.

Any useful info would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

fizzbangwhallop

Re: Photon Extreme, which IR?

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 19 Jan 2018, 12:21

G'morning Ninja,

Welcome to the forum.... :thumbup:

As you've already got a NM800 then your most cost-effective route is to upgrade the pill to one of Clive's Black Sun's at £43.20

http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/black ... 2x17316073

Personally I wouldn't go for the new Ruby pill as this is more visible to your quarry than the straight Black Sun which will give you the distance you need.... In a NM800 upgraded to the 'standard' AS based led and with a 850nm pass filter on the front, I could see enough detail out to well over 300m on my 105mm Pentax based Xtreme so the Black sun will get you further. (I usually have the XT's brightness on about 7).

The 850 pass filter just lets the 850 wavelength ir through and not the the more visible lower wavelengths all 850nm pills put out... not essential but worked for me on a fox that was aware of an unfiltered beam... it will cut your distances down though.

If you want further... then an £28.99 Evo/TR38 torch from Andy/Skany at Ludicrous Lumens and a £36 Ranger lens from microglobe is the simplest/cheapest way to get a SunnRanger. If you're a member on UKVarminting then Skany will give you a 5% code if you pm him (dunno if that offer is still valid though)

https://www.ludicrous-lumens.co.uk/coll ... 8020380487

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/yukon-50mm- ... -8718.html

Haven't gone far enough on microglobe to see if there's p&p on top but there is a best offer button on the linked screen.... they don't make a lot of money on that price but they will come back with their lowest which won't be much below the £36.

If needs be then the place to get your lenses serviced in the the camera repair workshop in Bletchley... tell Dave its for use on a rifle and he'll use a thicker grease than usual. Usually a week to turnaround and very reasonable..... nice bloke too. :thumbup: (Usually takes Fridays off though).

http://www.camerarepairworkshop.co.uk

Whatever you go for, mounting the torch as far back as you can will improve the picture no end. Flare from all torches hitting the moderator or barrel means the camera has to work through those before you see anything. I mount mine using one of these fitted backwards over the rear mount at about the 2 o'clock position...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-1-Rifle ... SwaA5Wjp3G

This is for a 25mm tube but I've used OptimumOutdoors stuff for years so it would be worth asking if he's got any 30mm's due in.

Torch is mounted in one of these..... I've had to shim the torch at the appropriate point in the mount to get it pointed in the right direction but its usually only a single layer of building dpm I had lying around. Means there's no fartarsing around with adjustable mounts!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25mm-Offse ... SwxH1UHFiH

Hows that? :lol:

Cheers

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 19 Jan 2018, 12:25

Forgot....... you run the risk of popping the AS leds if you use two batteries and besides, the longer tube will just poke you in the eye. :lol:

Quality 18650's and a proper charger pay dividends in the long run. I use torchy on eBay. For the XT itself I use Energisers and deffo not the internal IR.

Cheers

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 21 Jan 2018, 10:56

Ninja...... stop lurking and tell us if that was any use to you..... took me ages to type with 2 fingers. :problem:

Cheers

Fizz

Spanner

Post by Spanner » 21 Jan 2018, 12:01

N550 crap but the Photon isn't, really!!!!!!!!!!

4x4xFar

Post by 4x4xFar » 21 Jan 2018, 13:23

Was beneficial to me Fizz :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers

Chris

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 21 Jan 2018, 14:40

4x4xFar wrote:Was beneficial to me Fizz :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers

Chris

Good stuff Chris :thumbup:

Cheers
Fizz
:lol:

Night Ninja

Post by Night Ninja » 21 Jan 2018, 17:28

Hi Fizz

Thanks for raft of advice, I have been waiting for a bit of peace and quiet where I can sit down and formulate a proper response to your informative reply.

I have gone for both of your suggestions, the reasoning behind this that I can use Sunranger on the Photon and the upgraded 800 on the Night Arrow that I currently use as a spotter. The other reason is that I may get another 4.6 and then have one for the 55mm and one for the 135mm and then I wouldn't have to keep changing stuff about. Also, why have one new toy when you can have two :D.

I have a draw full of torch mounts, varying in quality from ok to down right rubbish, I do use the same rail mount as you suggested though I am using a slightly wobbly adjustable probably from Ant Supplies, but this may well be upgraded in time. I do have some high 34mm rings and I was going to see if one of my spare Burris Pos Align Offset Ring inserts would work. Having the torch mounted far back is something I do any way.

I missed the postie yesterday so I will have to go and collect the lenses from the sorting office tomorrow. :x. Which is bit annoying as I had wanted the weekend to play with it. The upside is the The Long Haired General is away with work till next weekend, on the downside the weather is sh!t with thick fog and rain so I won't be going anywhere, sounds like a good reason to go thermal :thumbup: .

Now if I could only get the lens off the Night Arrow...........any suggestions?

Thanks again.

NN
Last edited by Night Ninja on 21 Jan 2018, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 21 Jan 2018, 20:11

Good stuff... glad I could be of some help. :thumbup:

I’m pretty sure that nearly everybody who’s been into rifles and into NV etc for more than few years has a drawer...or cupboard full of ‘stuff’ that will be useful again one day! :lolno:

As for a torch mount, I managed to get an Optilock ring onto one of the cheap qr ring mount bases from the same eBay seller but have gone back to those offset ring mounts on a couple of scopes as once they’re aligned that’s it. But....Microglobe also do the laserluchs ball-mount the cheapest I’ve seen anywhere.

I struggled to get one of my 105mm Xtremes zeroed on my .20Prac Sako A1 last year so I ended up having to buy a set of Burris XTR signature rings with the posi-align inserts to get me through a month of foxing in Scotland. I moved that scope onto the .22 with a 55mm lense in standard Sportsmatch mounts but had to tilt the camera board in the XT by about a millimetre using thin washers on one side to get it to zero..(....so the Burris XT’s are now in the surplus drawer too :lol: )

As for getting the lens off the Night Arrow I haven’t a clue as I’ve never seen one.

Cheers

Fizz
8-)

Night Ninja

Post by Night Ninja » 21 Jan 2018, 22:07

:lol: I have a draw full of stuff that was useless from the get go! I have a plastic offset ring that not only doesn't fit the rail, it never stays in the same place twice! Still you get what you pay for I guess. I basically adhere to the policy of "pay once, cry once" but some times the internet gets the better of me. :oops:

Currently the Photon is sitting in a set of Sportsmatch adjustable mounts. As these fit dovetails, they are are sat on a dovetail to weaver adapter to sit on my .22. sadly these only sort out elevation not windage, so I have done the clamp mod too.

"A month of foxing in Scotland" sounds a bit Downton Abbey! After that do you winter in the Greek Islands on your yacht? :lolno:

If this all goes to plan I may revisit my "Fox Box" idea. A converted shed on a trailer for lambing/chicken house duties. I was thinking of some kind of IR security light to a screen similar to in a truck, I guess. Any ideas?

NN