First NV kit

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Phill-W

First NV kit

Post by Phill-W » 05 Feb 2018, 10:24

Hi all, joined the forum yesterday, I have a small permission which has a fair few rabbits which the owner wants rid of, I've been out a couple of times through the day to get a feel for the place and had a couple of rabbits bits, also been two evenings and about an hour or so into the dark andamaged to bag a couple more but their running from the torch light, so I was thinking of an NV kit, but hav,nt got £500-£600+ spare at the moment to buy one, so is there a cheaper option to get me started, I shoot sub 12ft/lb air rifles, weihrauch hw100 in .177 and recently purchased a bsa r-10se in .25 calibre, hence pennies are short at the moment... And advice will be much appreciated...

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Re: First NV kit

Post by cliveward » 05 Feb 2018, 10:43

Hi Phil,

The best kit on a budget is one of Dave's (some bloke) on here. :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16309

Cheers

Clive

Phill-W

Post by Phill-W » 05 Feb 2018, 12:21

Cheers Clive, I've had a quick look but I'm working so I,ll have a proper mooch tonight.......

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 05 Feb 2018, 12:44

Hi and welcome to the forum Phillip.

Sounds like the bunnies have become lamp shy which suggests they may have been shot at before or quickly picked up on your light. This is a good time to get using the easy to spot things first before progressively harder devices for them to become wary of.

Is your light white by any chance? Red light is better as an intermediate between regular torch and night vision and as its "only" bunnies on a small permission you don't need much of it. I said "only" in that way because you are only going to be shooting them at 45 to 50 yards maximum with a 12FTLB air rifle but you need to get closer than if you were using bullets. As you get closer they hear and smell you easier so you need to be more covert than if they were further away when you can allow the use of more light smacking their natural night vision to bits because its focused right at them and more active moving about.

Next up is night vision with low power Infra Red illumination: Most IR illuminators now have three power mode settings - low/medium/high. YOU don't get to see that light from behind your rifle but Mr. Bunny and his family will soon learn to see the cigar like glow of the IR torch every time it moves, like when you raise the rifle and scan it about. Try to get into the habit of shouldering the rifle before you turn on the illuminator.

Note also that LED's strike up faster than filament bulbs, so start with using low power if you want to be able to shoot the closer one's. If you can see them real easy they can easily see your IR glow so only use the lowest IR power needed. A silent IR power switch is also better for very close bunnies that have gurt big ears. :angel:

As you are likely to want to use both rifles, an 'ADD ON' type will add onto the back of both scopes - or there are dedicated types that will generally only be used on one rifle.

An example of a home built add on NV will be seen at the bottom of my reply. Clive posted a link to my rig which for air use only needs a 38mm torch lens. It needs user supply batteries and a charger that totals about £300 all in. It also features a silent IR power switch as mentioned above, which with practice is conveniently positioned within thumb reach of the left hand cradling the forestock. 8-)

There are ADD ON's that don't have the 5" monitor above the scope, they have a small viewer at the rear of the scope but they generally cost more than your stated budget. See some of those by clicking the night vision store advert at the top right of the page.

A cheaper option is to build your own which is going to take longer, but it sounds like you may not have time for that.

Phill-W

Post by Phill-W » 06 Feb 2018, 12:21

Thankyou.... (some bloke). Very informative, the torch Im currently using is a crazyfire adjustable zoom with a red bulb/pill whichever... I have the MTC VIPER CONNECT
3-12x32 would the ADD ON NV work on that scope?, as the eye relief is so close, my eyebrow actually touches the scope when shooting....I know you look at the screen what I meant was would the camera work with it having to be so close to the scope lens?, also what kind of distance would it reach with the different torch heads...

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 06 Feb 2018, 13:48

Phill-W wrote:Thankyou.... (some bloke). Very informative, the torch Im currently using is a crazyfire adjustable zoom with a red bulb/pill whichever... I have the MTC VIPER CONNECT
3-12x32 would the ADD ON NV work on that scope?, as the eye relief is so close, my eyebrow actually touches the scope when shooting....I know you look at the screen what I meant was would the camera work with it having to be so close to the scope lens?, also what kind of distance would it reach with the different torch heads...
Ah OK, No sorry.

Mine won't be short enough to focus at almost zero eye relief, and the connect is not very good for NV add on's in general. There was an informative thread about the scope on here recently - I'll try to find it.

Edit: Ere tis: http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic ... CT#p147272

Phill-W

Post by Phill-W » 06 Feb 2018, 13:53

Awwww just my luck, would be good if you could find that thread, my other scope on the bsa is a hawke vantage 3-9x50ao........

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 06 Feb 2018, 14:43

Phill-W wrote:Awwww just my luck, would be good if you could find that thread, my other scope on the bsa is a hawke vantage 3-9x50ao........
Here's the link to that thread: http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic ... CT#p147272 You'll likely find more with the search function.

The other scope is a good contender, especially if you fit a large cable tie to the AO and use your thumb to adjust it like whats shown near the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3T6kZCCnmw

Phill-W

Post by Phill-W » 06 Feb 2018, 17:17

Many thanks (some bloke), will have a think about it, to use the hawke I,d have to swap it onto the hw100, but I quite like the connect on the hw100, good field of view and nice aim points... Decisions decisions..

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 06 Feb 2018, 17:35

Phill-W wrote:Many thanks (some bloke), will have a think about it, to use the hawke I,d have to swap it onto the hw100, but I quite like the connect on the hw100, good field of view and nice aim points... Decisions decisions..
Decisions indeed lol - but for advice (using the Hawke scope)

Most people generally use about 4 to 5 mag for close range NV shots. My default supplied rig has a 16mm lens that adds a bit of image cropping or zoom - so you'd wind the scope mag down to 3 or 4 mag with the rig fitted for air ranges to get better range image size familiarity on the screen as you'd see in your scope. (Night vision has trickier range estimation because it focuses closer than daylight.)

However if reminded I could also supply it with a free 12mm lens which has less zoom so you would see a full width rounded image on the screen.