ATN X-sight 4K Pro - Night Videos ??

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: ATN X-sight 4K Pro - Night Videos ??

Post by phoenix » 17 Feb 2018, 16:32

Well, their stand was manned today and it had some thermal kit, the X Sight2 and the new X Sight 4K Pro.
They also had a small dark tunnel maybe 8 metres long at the back of the stand to try out the kit.
I got my hands on an X Sight 4K Pro fitted with an illuminator with the old oslon (I recognised the line down the middle)
I went into the dark tunnel, checked that the illuminator was on max power and looked through the scope.
What did I see?
NOTHING
Only "noise" on the display it was impossible to make out any detail at all.
I had someone else try it in case I had not got it set up properly, but they had the same result as me.
I then got one of the ATN reps to have a look and, in very offhand way, he said that the "software for night vision was not installed" :?:
I also had a look at the biggest thermal they had on display - probably a 75mm lens and it was producing the worst thermal image I have ever seen.
The entire display had a pink tinge, there was a fixed ghost image of some of the roof trusses in the building and behind that the somewhat jerky image of what the scope was actually looking at. I'm pretty certain that the display is FLCOS and not OLED, but even so the image was shocking.
There was another thermal there with a much smaller lens (probably 19mm) and the image on it was much better.
I'll probably be back at the show tomorrow and will try to get another look at the X Sight 4K and have a play with it.
In other news, I heard of someone biying a Pulsar XQ38F at the show for £1800

cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

oldcaisterboy

Post by oldcaisterboy » 17 Feb 2018, 22:38

Well I had a look through both today, and daylight clarity and zoom was pretty good, nighttime performance, impossible to say, looked good in a ten yard tunnel, no lag on the picture when panned fast....... Need some proper you tube night evidence before I'd buy one, I need a new night sight for my. 222, I'm using a drone Pro on my. 17 hornet, so an inferior move in kit is not on the cards.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 17 Feb 2018, 23:12

oldcaisterboy wrote:Well I had a look through both today, and daylight clarity and zoom was pretty good, nighttime performance, impossible to say, looked good in a ten yard tunnel, no lag on the picture when panned fast....... Need some proper you tube night evidence before I'd buy one, I need a new night sight for my. 222, I'm using a drone Pro on my. 17 hornet, so an inferior move in kit is not on the cards.
That's interesting that you got a decent image in the dark tunnel I have to assume that the scope was not in NV mode when I tried it.

Cheers

Bruce

oldcaisterboy

Post by oldcaisterboy » 17 Feb 2018, 23:29

Hi Bruce, well the 5-20 was working in nv mode, but the lower mag version wasn't working in nv mode.

To be fair the images were pretty good, had a disappointment with the original x sight (which was a day scope really), looking at the 4k when I'm running an Atn mars 6 gen 3 and a drone Pro is maybe expecting too much from 900 quid.

But with no more drone pros available there's a big hole in the market at present.

I hope it performs and does what the x sight promised initially.

Mark

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 18 Feb 2018, 21:44

Well guys, I went back to the show today and managed to get hold of a young guy on the ATN stand who seemed to know a little bit about the 4k scope.
When I looked through it in the dark tunnel yesterday it was clearly not in night mode because today, the image in the tunnel with the scope in night mode and with the illuminator on was very very good.
There was no screen flicker and no lag as I panned the scope quickly. I did this both at x5 and at x20 and there was still a very good image x20 with absolutely no pixellation, flicker or lag
I then took the scope outside and the guy switched it to day mode with a single press of a button.
In day mode there was no flicker, no lag and no pixellation at any magnification from x5 right up to x20
Turning a small wheel at the left side of the scope changes the magnification in (I think) x 0.5 increments
The display is widescreen and is actually pretty good. it's not OLED but it is definitely HD given the amount of info displayed and the level of detail shown.
OK, the NV test was in a dark tunnel about 20 feet long, so it's not possible to day how it would perform outside on a dark night
As anyone who has been on this forum for any time will know, I have been a pretty relentless critic of ATN for both their products and their service, but it might just be that they've got it right this time.
Although the scope is mounted to the rifle using standard 30mm rings, it's almost certain that, to get the ocular in the right place for most eyes to be in the correct position, some sort of reversed forward reach mount is going to be needed
The 4k scope is not available until May or June.
I hate to even suggest this, but if this thing really does work in the field as well as I saw it today, we may just have a ready made Drone pro replacement for less than £800
Of course, given ATN's track record, it could turn out to be unreliable, and their back up non existent.
When the original X Sight was announced, I and many others were excited at the prospect of a scope that would work well both during the day and at night. I (stupidly) believed what ATN were claiming and bought one as soon as they came out. When it rapidly became obvious that the X Sight was a really crap NV scope (a point agreed by the young guy on the ATN stand today) I became more than a little disillusioned by ATN and their claims.
My scepticism was still at full blast when Paulham linked to the advertising blurb for the 4k scope.
My scepticism that this thing will actually be what i want it to be is still very strong, but I have to admit to hoping that they are actually going to make it work as one scope does it all for day and night.

Cheers

Bruce

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 19 Feb 2018, 10:51

Bruce.
Did they have the Thermal version there or is that subject to ITAR ?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 19 Feb 2018, 11:38

No, they did not have the thermal version of the 4K Pro, only their OTS thermal scopes.
I didn't look at them again on Sunday. See my earlier post for comments on what i saw of them on Saturday
Basically they have stuck a 384 or 640 thermal core into the body of the 4K Pro and run the signal from the sensor through their obsidian core and are displaying it on a 1280x720 LCD near eye display
The image will probably be reasonable, but x20 mag would be a no no on a 384 core - you'd finish up with an image created from sensor with 19x14 pixels!!
I don't think the thermal 4k Pro would be ITAR restricted. They happily sell their OTS thermal in the UK and it's spec means it could not be exported from the USA under the ITAR rules. ATN get round this by importing them directly into the UK from China, where they are manufactured, and I'm certain the 4K scopes both NV and thermal are also manufactured in China

Cheers

Bruce

Cliff Ray

Post by Cliff Ray » 19 Feb 2018, 14:45

Bruce,

It wouldn't be quite that bad as the digital magnification range is only 4x and at the lowest mag the whole sensor is used.

So a 4.5-18x would give an effective 96 x 72 at 18x, not a nice resolution, but still usable.

Cliff

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 19 Feb 2018, 16:31

Much obliged for the info Bruce.

dogfox1

Post by dogfox1 » 19 Feb 2018, 17:59

Many thanks Bruce for that write up on 4K, I was one of the lads that turned up on Friday to see nothing!! but a rude gentleman late in the afternoon.

Now looks like a trip to Hereford then, hope their manners improve.