Clives drone replacement.

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
jackal1

Re: Clives drone replacement.

Post by jackal1 » 09 May 2018, 14:15

cliveward wrote:
07 May 2018, 13:26
Ah8217bris wrote:
06 May 2018, 18:32
cliveward wrote:
06 May 2018, 17:59

Hi .270

Sorry missed this one with all that's going on.

I'm hoping with some luck and a fair wind this will be ready for launching end of this coming week.

Cheers

Any pre-release news on the price Clive?

Thanks

Clive
Hi there,

Preliminary pricing is:

£1950 for the scope with standard Picatinny mount (we also have options for the MAK Milmont).
£2400 for the scope with LRF and standard mount as a package.
£600 for the LRF unit if you want to buy it later.

General specs are 8x fixed optical mag, fast objective lens, very sensitive sensor and the biggest highlight is the 1024x768 OLED display. 8-)

Cheers

Clive
[/quote
Why only 8 mag when the drone it is supposed to replace is 10x?

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 09 May 2018, 14:46

8 magnification :thumbdown:

Having used a Drone Pro 10x for around 2 1/2 years and shot a little over 600 foxes in this period with it, i would say 8 magnification is a step backwards. IMO with this kind of thing you need to be around the 10 mark, however if there are no more new top speck Drone Pro's then i supposed people have to go with what is available.

Dave (warbucks)

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 09 May 2018, 16:02

Hi Guys,

I get where you are coming from on the magnification.

It may be a perception thing.

We're using a longer lens than the Drone, a slightly bigger sensor which will loose a bit of 'crop' but then that is made back up in the very nice 1024x768 eyepiece OLED.

We'll need to get them side by side to do a proper comparison but I don't think it will be an issue. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 09 May 2018, 16:57

8 mag could raise a useful debate. I've never really understood why people want a 10 mag for hunting TBH. The larger mag Photons seemed about right to my mind. I'll concede most of my shooting is bunny bashing though.

I use about 3 mag for ratting and 4 mag for lamping at subsonic range bunnies to get the FOV right. About 6 mag for HMR and about 8 mag for the 17REM zero'd at 200 yards. Granted its a small CF but I'd still use that if it were a 223.

Sure some people might prefer 10 or 12 for massive calibres but would that really deter anyone from making a purchase?
What was the original drone mag? And the N550?

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 10 May 2018, 00:49

I now shoot far more rabbits head shot, as dealers like them that way and if using the .17HMR it makes a mess. The additional magnification is preferable.
Foxes at range then again magnification helps.

In the old tubed fixed x6 days then I always wished there was more magnification. The DP x10 was a good compromise though the field of view was OK but nothing fantastic. Having said that when using a wide FOV spotter it wasn't a big deal.
With a WDV then again I tend to use x8 or x10 mag, having already spotted. I sometimes wind the magnification right up to check age and condition of rabbit, but thats only from a stable, all the time in the world, platform. x16 magnification has its place in certain situations.

We loved the sparkle the DP gave, and crispness that can be had through a dedicated unit. x8 should be fine, and even a tad more with digital mag if the sensor/screen can handle it.
A x8 might be more parallax/focus friendly???

If the DP had a fault it was probably that it could have been done in a smaller overall package???? Less bulk and weight would always be a plus. With the new Black Sun and Ruby ir then these can bring the whole package down even more. However, even these need a 50 objective to pull it all in.
My practical range doesn't need to be more than 350m with loads of backstop on top. Most work is done at less than 200m, but nice to have that extra reach for rifles that fly flat and far.

Lastly, nice if the dedicated unit will do daylight nicely too; just needs to do day and night the same.

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 10 May 2018, 05:27

I would be more than happy to be proved wrong but I expect it will be based around the the same body as Clive`s thermal units (like the Armasight Zeus and the Dronepro were) so am expecting the same weight/bulk.

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 10 May 2018, 09:54

cliveward wrote:
09 May 2018, 16:02
Hi Guys,

I get where you are coming from on the magnification.

It may be a perception thing.

We're using a longer lens than the Drone, a slightly bigger sensor which will loose a bit of 'crop' but then that is made back up in the very nice 1024x768 eyepiece OLED.

We'll need to get them side by side to do a proper comparison but I don't think it will be an issue. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

Magnification is not a perception, it is either 8x or 10x. The only time a 8x is better than 10x is when the 10x picture is really poor. However we are talking about the Drone pro here and the picture is not poor, in fact it is probably the best of all digital units.

Dave (Somebloke) three and four times mag is ok if you are mincing about with a rimfire shooting rabbits but doesn't cut it if you are carrying out serious fox control. For whatever reason last season i rarely had a shot at fox below two hundred yards and most where around two hundred and fifty. Such shots are difficult enough with 10x so i am afraid 8x is a retrograde step.

Clive i would seriously look at what other lenses are available, or your new unit is certainly not going to be a "Drone replacement" but rather another "also ran". Somewhere between the N870/970s from Pulsar and the ultimate Drone.

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 10 May 2018, 11:10

Jackal isn't mincing his words.

I shoot x8 or x10 with my WDV because its less focus fussy. I can set it up so I walk into focus at 40-50m, which is about as close as rabbits will allow a fox to pass. Off sticks I get my head shots.
For long range foxes I like more mag. When I had a first edition DPx10 the mag was just enough. X16 would have been nice. In fact I upgraded my WDV and sold the DP, because x10 isn't always enough.
I would have got a new DP for my rabbit rifle and set up my fox rifle with a WDV. The WDV may not have the sparkle crispness of the DP but at least it has that high mag. The Ruby ir gets that range. The only limiting factor with the WDV is the scope's coatings that limit pure crispness of picture, which can be voided by using the higher magnification.

If Clives dedicated can give a digital magnification to say x16 without the picture pixilating then its has everything. Smaller objective, practical true x8, with higher mag for when needed. Maybe thats the configuration he is going for. If its going to be at the higher asking price then it needs to give that sparkle viewing experience that we loved so much with the DP; crisp and sharp. I'll have to make an excuse to drop in for my annual cup of tea and chat.
Interesting there is a WDV add on competition now. If you can't beat then then sell them. I suspect the WDV just has the edge in several fields, but its good that there are more options now. Interesting if this new unit does only need parallax at 40m, which is closer to 50 that so many scopes have as their lowest setting.

Looks like 2018 there will be even more toys to talk about. The loss of the DP was rather a depressing start to the year.
Last edited by Muskett on 10 May 2018, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 10 May 2018, 12:33

Darned dyslexia - I had it in mind to add the x2 switchable digital mag bit but forgot PDQ.... darned alz too. :wave:

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 10 May 2018, 14:47

Maybe we should just wait and see what the full spec is, i'm sure Clive Knows the Drone x10 is the one to beat or at least equal, all will be revealed in good time i'm sure, as long as it work reliably and holds zero an area where the Drone is weak, then it wont be too bad. Not giving my 2 Drones up yet though :D