Clives drone replacement.

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Clives drone replacement.

Post by phoenix » 30 May 2018, 16:31

jackal1 wrote:
30 May 2018, 15:43
Kevgun wrote:
10 May 2018, 14:47
Maybe we should just wait and see what the full spec is, i'm sure Clive Knows the Drone x10 is the one to beat or at least equal, all will be revealed in good time i'm sure, as long as it work reliably and holds zero an area where the Drone is weak, then it wont be too bad. Not giving my 2 Drones up yet though :D

You don't need the full spec to know that in it's current form this scope isn't going to equal let alone better the Drone. From the sparse information released on the specifications you can see that 8x magnification isn't "equal to" 10x magnification nor is an oled screen "equal to" an amoled screen.
Please enlighten us as to why an "AMOLED" display is better than an an "OLED" display

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 30 May 2018, 16:57

As i understand it the active matrix part of amoled speeds up the activation of the pixels, is this not the case?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 30 May 2018, 20:01

There are 2 types of OLED display - Active matrix OLED (AMOLED) and Passive matrix OLED (PMOLED)

https://www.oled-info.com/pmoled-vs-amo ... difference

PMOLEDs are not suited to being made into near eye displays of the type used in NV and thermal kit, so when a near eye display is said to be "OLED" then you can be sure it's actually an AMOLED display.
Therefore, I believe Clive's new NV scope will have a display using the same technology as the Drone pro.
W'ell have to see the final product of course, but a base optical magnification of x8 sounds fine to me if the scope also has even x2 digital magnification.
If that's the case, then the wider field of view that comes with a slightly lower magnification will make target aquisition slightly easier, and when the target is seen in the scope, if more magnification is needed, it can be easily applied.
I think most people using thermal scopes - all of which have significantly lower optical magnifications than x8 use the base magnification to aquire the target and then use digital zoom to get the target big enough (but not necessarily particulalry sharp around the edges) to take the shot.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 30 May 2018, 20:45

I don’t see x 8 mag being a problem either, more important that it holds zero, I was testing a Pulsar N355 last evening, and that’s x 3.5 optical and then zooms to x 7 then x14 ok it was crappy at x 14 but useable, not sure if Clive is going to have digital magnification on it, but x8 then doubled to 16 would be plenty enough I would think.

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 31 May 2018, 00:13

Kevgun wrote:
30 May 2018, 20:45
I don’t see x 8 mag being a problem either, more important that it holds zero, I was testing a Pulsar N355 last evening, and that’s x 3.5 optical and then zooms to x 7 then x14 ok it was crappy at x 14 but useable, not sure if Clive is going to have digital magnification on it, but x8 then doubled to 16 would be plenty enough I would think.
I am just in the process of trying a N355 as well, You getting any POI shift and what IR`s have you tried please ?

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 31 May 2018, 08:21

Can't comment on poi shift, because it was my mate's however he has had it on a 243 for 2 months with no problems.

The reason I was there, was he wanted to test which torch worked best, he had a Nightmaster Viper on it
Which was not that special, we tested everything I had and found that a Sunranger 3×42 suited it best this was a Normal SFH4715AS pill and not the Ruby one. The Ruby didn't suit the camera for some reason it was way to bright.
We could see clearly out to 650+ yards, but you would never be able to ID anything at that distance, it is a 200yard sight which in most situations is plenty.

For the price of it though, I would wait it out for a 2nd hand Drone.

Kevgun

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 31 May 2018, 09:06

Kevgun wrote:
30 May 2018, 20:45
Holding zero is incredibly important, without it you may as well not bother. My Drone on a Mckillop mount on a Tikka T3 supervarmint is exceptionally stable and doesn't move poi at all. That is because i have bypassed the crap Drone QR mounts. There are other methods of securing the Drone to different rifles as you know. Having said that i would still want 10x magnification and wouldn't really be interested in digital magnification at all, who really wants lego foxes to shoot at?
I really hope this new scope is going to be good so that it will give people the chance of something decent now that the Drone is discontinued. Clives opening gambit on this unit when it was announced the Drone wouldn't be produced any longer was along the lines of, "we have been working on something to produce if the Drone doesn't alter in spec". This to me at the time insinuated that whatever it was would be better than the Drone, Time will tell if that is the case.

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 31 May 2018, 10:29

As we know, as do most of the manufacturer's that the Drone is a tough act to follow and when one is working correctly there is no reason to want anything else.

But time and progress moves on, so someone will see there's a void in the market and hopefully fill it with an equal product.

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 31 May 2018, 10:49

Kevgun wrote:
31 May 2018, 08:21
Can't comment on poi shift, because it was my mate's however he has had it on a 243 for 2 months with no problems.

The reason I was there, was he wanted to test which torch worked best, he had a Nightmaster Viper on it
Which was not that special, we tested everything I had and found that a Sunranger 3×42 suited it best this was a Normal SFH4715AS pill and not the Ruby one. The Ruby didn't suit the camera for some reason it was way to bright.
We could see clearly out to 650+ yards, but you would never be able to ID anything at that distance, it is a 200yard sight which in most situations is plenty.

For the price of it though, I would wait it out for a 2nd hand Drone.

Kevgun
Thanks for the info Kev.

Sussexsteve

Post by Sussexsteve » 01 Jun 2018, 15:56

I looked through it last night and it’s the mutts nuts 👏