Warden Adder v WDV

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
RELOADER54

Re: Warden Adder v WDV

Post by RELOADER54 » 13 Jun 2018, 14:19

weathers turned out nice again ,today, :yawn:

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 15 Jun 2018, 11:11

Hi Muskett,

Drop in for a chat when you are passing and have a look. :thumbup:

The Adder with it's 2x built in magnification means that you can use scopes that have 50m bottom end on the PA or even fixed as long as you keep the magnification sensible. I've used one on a 3-12x50 S&B fixed focus and even that was very useable.

You're correct about choice of supplier. We've spent a good deal of time and money sorting the specification of the Adder and in fact have some further improvements on the incoming batch from the factory.

Ignoring the boring differences in performance, user experience and product support. The most important issue for us though is product safety. We know (because we have tested them now) that the standard Chinese offering falls well below safety standards and should not even be imported, let alone sold in Europe! :roll:

Cheers

Clive

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 17 Jun 2018, 09:08

cliveward wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:11
Hi Muskett,

Drop in for a chat when you are passing and have a look. :thumbup:

The Adder with it's 2x built in magnification means that you can use scopes that have 50m bottom end on the PA or even fixed as long as you keep the magnification sensible. I've used one on a 3-12x50 S&B fixed focus and even that was very useable.

You're correct about choice of supplier. We've spent a good deal of time and money sorting the specification of the Adder and in fact have some further improvements on the incoming batch from the factory.

Ignoring the boring differences in performance, user experience and product support. The most important issue for us though is product safety. We know (because we have tested them now) that the standard Chinese offering falls well below safety standards and should not even be imported, let alone sold in Europe! :roll:

Cheers

What exactly is unsafe about the Chinese offerings?

Have they got a spring loaded metal spike that shoots into your eye when you spot a fox or something? :lol:

Clive

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 17 Jun 2018, 10:53

I am sure Clive will give the answer, and I don't work for Clive, but I suspect its the charger and battery.
A good friend of mine's farm office went up in flames because of his Laptop going up in flames when left on charge overnight. In fact any rechargeable device, and the charger unit, if made badly can cause a fire. I presume Clive has specified higher quality battery and charger units.

Doesn't the Warden have a laser designator thing? There are laser safe specifications now.

There may well be something else.

Clive has made the effort to ensure he can provide a British Compliant safe unit, well to his satisfaction. He also has the expertise to open the units up and check. Service the units in house even. Frankly that to me has value.
Its your money and if you want to chance something else then no one is stopping you buying what looks the same off ebay. Your money your call.

Of a more interesting note I've just tried my new Bushnell Legend Ultra 4-15-24x44 with my WDV. The scope is a better day scope than my trusted MTC Mamba Lite, and gives as good a WDV performance at night.
NV wise the Bushnell Legend Ultra gets a crisp image to 18m at full magnification. It also gives a shooting range at full mag out to 280m with a Ruby. Backstop is a whole lot further.
Considering its a 1" tube 44 objective, its a whole lot more compact unit to say my 30mm tubed 50 objective Hawke Sidewinder, and giving almost the same NV performance. The Sidewinder is less head position critical but is a bit of a lump, its a bigger mousetrap all together.
There is little difference between all these three scopes when it comes to ir coatings conflict. They all are giving really good WDV on screen picture quality. Anything more is atmospherics on the night.

The Sidewinder does have all the toys and great reticule. My Ultra has the milldot but in truth I'd be happy with a simple plex as milldots really are not much use to me; I prefer hold over on target points of my own. For heavier rifles then the Sidewinder is a sound choice. For more sporting weight rifles then the Ultra is my new favourite choice being slim and elegant; just about perfect for an Annie 1517 .17HMR or .22LR. Lovely bright daylight picture and crisp WDV add on NV picture too. I expect it would compliment a Warden Adder too, with the bonus that the WA's onboard ir would be enough for rabbit ranges for these rimfires.
I think a Bushnel and Adder might blow away the dedicated Photons for pure performance both day and night. What an add on should be able to do.

Anyhow makes it all that much more interesting with even more choices. What fun!

i