Best IR For Drone pro

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Davesniper

Best IR For Drone pro

Post by Davesniper » 10 Jun 2018, 18:56

A up, did some tests last night on the Drone for best picture at long range 380 yds focused on a fence post with 2 different torches first up T20 black sun 2 pill ..not to bad although a lot of pollen in the air... second up was the night master 800 B2pill again better good alrounder...then put the Xsercher head on but only by a margin did think it was better defenition...It seemed to me tighter the beam better it got..just wondering would a ruby pill give better picture I know they are brighter but would it give the picture more defentition.
Dave.
Last edited by Davesniper on 10 Jun 2018, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

jackal1

Re: Best IR For Drone pro

Post by jackal1 » 10 Jun 2018, 20:27

I have tried a ruby pill in one of my xsearchers and it was a decent picture out to good range but the red signature it gave off put me right off it. Because a lamp shy fox would leg it straight away as soon as it saw it.

The best for me is still a good dragonfly because of the punch it gives and the very tiny red signature it gives off. The two drawbacks are they are dangerous and you need to be careful with them and getting a good one is pot luck as starlights quality control is none existent.

Davesniper

Post by Davesniper » 10 Jun 2018, 21:19

Right ok...that is what I thought about the ruby did not want anything brighter..to be honest will just stay with the nightmaster as most of my shots are under 200yds.
Dave.

poppy mae

Post by poppy mae » 10 Jun 2018, 21:38

Dave , how did you get on with your zero problem ? solved ? My take on i.r , not used a ruby so carnt comment , i use a black sun 2 pills in a T20 body with a 75mm aspheric lens , tried a sunranger in all lenses , t20 ,t50 ,t67 & a nm800 , the 75mm lens knocks them all into touch . The Drone handles it really well , weather dependant ! You can see further than you want to shoot , it fills the screen , no diamond visable , just a nice bright clear picture

Coling

Post by Coling » 10 Jun 2018, 21:56

I’ve got to agree with jackal1 about the dragonfly it is outstanding on the drone and the ruby if you don’t mind the red glow then that has to fall in second place .
I use a dragonfly on my 243 and if I get a tricky fox I use the ruby that sits on my 223 and I think warbucks will Ecco this as well as he uses the ruby full time to great effect

Davesniper

Post by Davesniper » 10 Jun 2018, 23:57

A up poppy, not had chance to zero it yet went out Friday night with mate so decided to put day time scopes on as no time to play with Drone ...they have leuapold quick release on them and were set uo last summer so I thougt this would be a good test...and it was mate called a fox from 400yds away at about 8pm so well light, anyway stoped at 180yds my mate mutterd when your ready bud kerr boom, right on the button.

Well I thought why cant the bloody drone do that ..so will let you know soon and thanks guys for letting me know your thought .
Dave.

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 11 Jun 2018, 12:12

Im using the TR38 from Ludicrous Lumens which is a 820nm/ruby type illuminator on my drone pro, id recommend the ruby or ruby/type up to 50mm for the Drone Pro.

Spooking foxes
These's don't spook foxes unless they have been shot at before, when the foxes have been shot at and missed you get "about" two chance's then they wise up and it doesn't matter what I/R your using in the850nm range, they will spook-------but given time they will slip up.

Illuminator size/weight.
The Drone pro can have poi issue's, IMO you need to keep all weight "added to the DP" to a minimum as it all has a sling shot effect, i have gone down from a T66 on my 223 to this "Ruby type on the 243, the more recoil of the rifle the worse can be the problem-------i can still check edges for foxes at 500 yds with this Tr38----maybe if i was buying again id have gone Tr50 (tighter beam/less spill).

On my 243 ive just changed the quick release levers for 4mm high tensile bolts with niloc nuts,
Top and side weaver torch rail have been loctited on with loctite on all the screws, if you don't they will eventually vibrate loose, when they do it does effect poi, this gave me weeks of "greef" before i found out what was causing the problem.

Dave (warbucks)

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 11 Jun 2018, 13:50

Hi All,

Not quite apples for apples but I've sttled on a 38mm Aspheric BR20 Black Sun Ruby for use with the 8x dedicated Digiceptor.

Very small and light, but has plenty of legs for shooting and indeed seeing well beyond 300m. 8-)

For a Drone a 50mm Aspheric. Either a Black Sun Ruby BR501 or a Ruby pill for a standard NM800 would be optimum I would have thought due to the smaller field of view.

I've been using the Ruby for quite some time (unsurprisingly) and don't have any problem at all with anything being spooked by it. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 11 Jun 2018, 16:50

What I have found from using visible IR like the Ruby is they throw further than the standard AS pills, but the are less contrasty and look a bit washed out.

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 11 Jun 2018, 17:13

Mini Magnum wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 16:50
What I have found from using visible IR like the Ruby is they throw further than the standard AS pills, but the are less contrasty and look a bit washed out.
I know what you mean about a bit washed out but think that is purely the extra power. I have turned my NM800/Ruby pill to full flood and now gives a full sight picture on the Ward/day scope at 4x, also the Pulsar N355 and still gives enough for 200+ yds for mag up, in good conditions.
There is no doubt that a fox can be spooked by it, a couple of nights ago I was doing some rat`s with the air rifle and 2 foxes showed up in the field beyond at 100ish yds. One looked and trotted off, the other looked and carried on searching for any tasty morsels.