Newcomer to the forum with Photon questions

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Harleyman

Newcomer to the forum with Photon questions

Post by Harleyman » 17 Jun 2018, 10:04

Morning, new member to the to the forum, but been browsing it for a while. I am in Leeds and have been shooting for about 35 years, shotgun and small and full bore rifles. Got into night vision a couple of years ago, having previously used traditional lamping methods to shoot rabbits and foxes at night. I bought a Pulsar thermal imager which is very useful and then a Photon XT 6. 50. I modified the XT quite quickly with a 55mm Takumar lens and adapter and have been quite pleased with the results and that lives on my Ruger 10/22. I recently bought a 2 week old Photon Rt to put on my. 17hmr, as lots of videos on the Web seemed to show that it was better than the XT with greater detection distance and sharper image. However I was quite disappointed when I tried it out, it has a very grey image lacking in contrast and struggles to make much out at 100yds even with a reasonable illuminator, a t20 with Black Sun 2 pill. So a couple of questions. Is my XT better because of the lens system, will this give better contrast as well as sharper image? Has any body else had similar problems with the RT? Also, I have read about people improving the onboard ir by removing the diffusers and in the case of the XT, refocusing the laser. Anybody able to walk me through how to do it? Thanks.