Newcomer to the forum with Photon questions

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Harleyman

Newcomer to the forum with Photon questions

Post by Harleyman » 17 Jun 2018, 10:04

Morning, new member to the to the forum, but been browsing it for a while. I am in Leeds and have been shooting for about 35 years, shotgun and small and full bore rifles. Got into night vision a couple of years ago, having previously used traditional lamping methods to shoot rabbits and foxes at night. I bought a Pulsar thermal imager which is very useful and then a Photon XT 6. 50. I modified the XT quite quickly with a 55mm Takumar lens and adapter and have been quite pleased with the results and that lives on my Ruger 10/22. I recently bought a 2 week old Photon Rt to put on my. 17hmr, as lots of videos on the Web seemed to show that it was better than the XT with greater detection distance and sharper image. However I was quite disappointed when I tried it out, it has a very grey image lacking in contrast and struggles to make much out at 100yds even with a reasonable illuminator, a t20 with Black Sun 2 pill. So a couple of questions. Is my XT better because of the lens system, will this give better contrast as well as sharper image? Has any body else had similar problems with the RT? Also, I have read about people improving the onboard ir by removing the diffusers and in the case of the XT, refocusing the laser. Anybody able to walk me through how to do it? Thanks.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Newcomer to the forum with Photon questions

Post by phoenix » 17 Jun 2018, 11:44

All the Photons sold in the UK, both XT and RT are the "S" model and use LED illuminators, not lasers
It's an 810nm LED in the XT and an 850nm in the RT
The "L" model of the XT used a laser, but AFAIK this was never available in the UK through "official channels"

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Harleyman

Post by Harleyman » 17 Jun 2018, 12:11

Thanks for the info Bruce. I have checked, and yes, both scopes are the S versions. Does this mean that nothing can be done to improve the onboard ir? The one on the RT is focus able, I have it screwed just about right out for spot, but even with the locking ring tightened up it is still a bit wobbly and seems rather fragile. Any comments regarding image quality etc on the RT? Thanks.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 17 Jun 2018, 13:44

There's not much you can do with the on board IR. I'd say the external IR you are using is fine for up to around 200 yards.
Other than the better battery pack and the wifi, the main difference between the XT and the RT is the sensor being used.
The XT uses a 1/3 sensor, while the RT uses a 1/2 sensor. With both having the same number of pixels it means that the pixels in the RT are larger and therefore more sensitive.
Lens focal length and quality is going to come into this
You changed the original lens in your XT to a slightly longer focal length (50 up to 55mm)which is going to slightly increase the magnification and the image quality probably improved because the Tacumar is simply a better lens than the Yukon original.
In the RT, the larger sensor combined with the 50mm focal length lens results in the RT having a lower magnification than the XT and it may be that, combined with the poorer quality lens that's giving you the perception of a poorer quality image.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Harleyman

Post by Harleyman » 17 Jun 2018, 14:30

Thanks again Bruce for the wealth of knowledge! As I say though, the RT has a lot less contrast than the XT, much "greyer" and using the same illuminator on both, I can see further more clearly with the XT. With the mag on the RT set at 6x there us not much difference between the magnification if both scopes. I could do with comparing my RT with somebody else's to see if it is the same image quality. As i bought the RT from the first purchaser, I think I would struggle with any warranty, so doing a lens conversion isn't going to worry me in terms of loss of warranty. Just seems like everybody who puts pics on the Web has got a better unit than me! Thanks

Spanner

Post by Spanner » 19 Jun 2018, 17:16

Are you saying one has a doubler and the other doesn't, if so that is your likely answer.

Jeremyv

Post by Jeremyv » 23 Jun 2018, 06:01

I have one of the new photon rt 4.5x scopes and my image was so poor I was about to send it back however I remembered my daytime image wasnt bad at all so I popped out the center section of the lens cap and man that makes a world of difference you can actually get sharp focus now and much better contrast. Idk if this will fix your issue or not. I think the lens design is just not good enough to be used wide open. I'm sure a lens conversion would do wonders.

They can't be spending hardly any money on the lens so it's not a shock to me that it's not great at f1