Drone Pro zero

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Ttocs

Drone Pro zero

Post by Ttocs » 23 Jun 2018, 13:01

As a recently new Drone Pro user (10x AMOLED) I have to say I’m very puzzled even though I’ve been following the various threads on the Dron zero issues.
I fitted the Drone to my 204 T3 (TIkka stainless rail) mounted in the rearward position only to find the ‘expected’ zero issue I.e. I couldn’t get a group better than 2” and it would move by several inches during transport. So, I fitted an very nice 10mm thick Apex extended stainless rail (locktite and screwed to receiver) repositioned the Drone in the foreword position (locktite on Pyramid Mount to mount and screws too) and reattached with the QR levers very tight. Groups now back to 1/4”, great. Transported the rifle a couple of times then rechecked zero. 30mm low 10mm to R. Now confused.
My question is, have others solved this by replacing the QR with bolts adding the extra mount bolt etc or is it a problem with some Drones that the optics move? As I say, I’m very puzzled and getting to the point where I don’t have confidence in it. Love the focus the view through the scope etc but not convinced I’ve bought the right NV.
There’s a lot of Drones out there and there’s not loads of used Drones for sale so it can’t be a problem for everyone.
Any and all replies welcome, even if you’re just telling me I’ve bought the wrong NV. :oops:
Cheer
N

Spanner

Re: Drone Pro zero

Post by Spanner » 23 Jun 2018, 18:00

I have 2 one MK1 and one MK2. The MK1 used to reset itself to 0/0 if I used rechargeable AA's in a battery pack but is perfect with integral none rechargeable CR123's. Check the ancillary Weaver rails are solid, they can cause POI issues with heavy IR Torches if they are not rock solid. You haven't made the wrong choice they are superb.

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 23 Jun 2018, 19:25

The illuminators and the weaver rail that they fix to can cause poi problems with the DP.

On my Tikka 223 i would have say 8 clean fox kills, then 3 misses on the trot, in my case it turned out to be that top weaver rail grub screws had started to slowly come loose, this top rail and side rail have now been loctited on along with their fixing screws -------a torch with a loose head is also likely to give problems because of this "sling shot effect".

Torches are best to be kept small (t20 ruby and the like) must be fixed on the exact weaver groove or better still left on all the time
Moving the T20 illuminator from top mounted to side mounted on my 243 has moved the poi 2 1/2" to the right at 100 yds.

Either swop the quick release levers for some nylon lock nuts or replace the bolts again will nylon lock nuts.

Dave (warbucks)

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 23 Jun 2018, 21:12

If you have tightened the QR levers too much you will have stretched them which causes poi issues, best to just replace them with nuts and bolts.

Rammer

Post by Rammer » 24 Jun 2018, 06:43

What torch you running Dave
Lee

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 24 Jun 2018, 12:11

Rammer wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 06:43
What torch you running Dave
Lee
Ludicrious-lumens TR38 820nm, but ive had to modify the head to removed wobble.
If IR lightbuilds are still doing the T20 ruby's this will be good as Ians torches don't have head wobble as he addresses this.

Dave (warbucks)

Ttocs

Post by Ttocs » 24 Jun 2018, 14:26

I’ve got a ludicrous lumens TR38 but with a Yukon head on it (sunranger) very easy conversion and no head wobble at all. However, I’ve found the 850xlr the drone came with as good as the sunranger but with a quieter on off switch.

Davesniper

Post by Davesniper » 24 Jun 2018, 16:30

Since I have changed my quick releases to bolts and moved scope forward because I was haveing the same problems and been advised to zero with the IR mounted by the lads I am doing much better right and left on two cubs last night 140 yds witth no target shooting before hand..bullet placement was bob on...going to be changeing to different bullet soon but saved 2 for testing as it has 3 weeks since the mods.

You do loose eye relife a bit but I managed to fit the rubber eye piece from a pulsar with a bit of tinkering as it made it longer...I lost a bit of the square sreen picture so you have to push your head into it to get it back...ither that or longer rail .

Dave.

Ttocs

Post by Ttocs » 29 Jun 2018, 23:03

Thanks for the replies. Checked my zero again and found it had moved back to where it had been before I re-zeroed last time. Never had that one before with any scope. I’ve ordered some m4 cap heads and nuts to replace the QR levers. I hope that fixes the problem as I’ve run out of things to try.
Can anyone tell me what thread the original QR lever bolts are. I’ve noticed that they have a flat side that fits into the rail groves, do the M4 bolts need modifying in anyway?
Cheers
Ttocs

Davesniper

Post by Davesniper » 30 Jun 2018, 12:37

Since I have moved mine forwad and replaced with stainles bolts and 3 screws in base mount it seem ok at the moment had a 200yds fox last nigh bullet hole was where I put it.. you need M4 40mm long..got mine of flea bay
I used the same nut from the QR £2.69 for 10.