Drone Pro zero

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Ttocs

Re: Drone Pro zero

Post by Ttocs » 30 Jun 2018, 13:42

That’s good to hear, I need all the positive encouragement I can get. I’m getting to the point where I look at foxes 70 to 80 yards away and think that’s too far. Before I fitted the Drone I had a Photon 6x50 on my 204 and was confident out to over 200yards. The Photon only moved off zero once and that was my fault for knocking the rifle over in the dark whilst it was on the bipod. My Drone Mount has recessed hex nuts fitted so I’ll see how the bolts work with those when they arrive. I’ve gon for 12.9 high tensile black steel cap heads with black steel washers. I’ve ordered some black m4 grade 8 nuts just in case.
Can I ask what length bolt is needed for the ‘third’ mount screw.
I stil can’t believe I’m having all this trouble with something that cost so much to buy.
Cheers
Ttocs

Davesniper

Post by Davesniper » 30 Jun 2018, 15:07

Good question I bought some that were 14mm long but I thought they were to long..but found a stainles one in my bag of bits and that was a smidge smaller but I still used a washer...so I cant be sure of correct lengh but if poppy mae is reading this he will jump in.
All very anoying this isint it I have never had a night vision scope that can hold zero like a day scope but a lot of gadgetry inside digital scopes ...my mate has had 3 pulsar scopes sent back before one would hold zero?
My confidents is slowly come back though ..it is just when you look at you paper zero targets and looks awfull
due for another target session more nerveues about that than sighting up on a fox🤣

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 01 Jul 2018, 11:20

I have my Drone x 10 on a mckillop mount and to be honest it is always spot on. I don't treat it with kid gloves in fact just the opposite, it gets bounced and jarred in the truck but is always right when i take a shot.

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 01 Jul 2018, 16:14

Ttocs wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 13:42
That’s good to hear, I need all the positive encouragement I can get. I’m getting to the point where I look at foxes 70 to 80 yards away and think that’s too far. Before I fitted the Drone I had a Photon 6x50 on my 204 and was confident out to over 200yards. The Photon only moved off zero once and that was my fault for knocking the rifle over in the dark whilst it was on the bipod. My Drone Mount has recessed hex nuts fitted so I’ll see how the bolts work with those when they arrive. I’ve gon for 12.9 high tensile black steel cap heads with black steel washers. I’ve ordered some black m4 grade 8 nuts just in case.
Can I ask what length bolt is needed for the ‘third’ mount screw.
I stil can’t believe I’m having all this trouble with something that cost so much to buy.
Cheers
Ttocs
If your Drone is in the forward position you carn't get that 3rd/middle bolt in as there is no hole in line with it.
You can only use the 3bolt hole if the drone is in the rear ward position, and this gives LESS SUPPORT.
The replacement bolts want to be high tensile, with niloc nuts, make sure you push the Drone forward until it touches the weaver rail lugs then tighten, make sure all torch rails are loctited on, keep the illuminator small and you dont want a loose torch head swinging about.

Are you sure the rifle is grouping well ?

Dave (warbucks)

poppy mae

Post by poppy mae » 01 Jul 2018, 18:40

Dave ,on the two Drones ive got in the front position ( two fastening bolts furthest apart ) the middle hole lines up with the drones mounting rail , dont know if it actually makes any difference , but a 3rd bolt wouldnt harm.

les302p

Post by les302p » 01 Jul 2018, 19:43

Mine struggled with zero.I took the bolts out that hold the quick release mount to the drone. The slot on the mount which fits to the rail on the drone was loose. I put silver baking foil in the slot to take up the play and then refitted to the mount. I haven't had any problems with holding zero since.

hope this helps

Les

Ttocs

Post by Ttocs » 01 Jul 2018, 23:04

Hi Les, are you talking about the joint between the ‘pyramid mount’ (I think that’s what it’s called) atttached to the base of the scope and grove in the QR mount.
Ttocs

Ttocs

Post by Ttocs » 03 Jul 2018, 11:20

Quick update, the m4 Allen bolts and washers arrived today. So Drone off; first thing I discovered was the ‘semi captive’ nuts on the QR are not std M4. Checking them with a set of calipers revealled they are rectangular section 4.9mm x 5.15mm with what must be an imperial or metric fine thread of around 4mm. Whatever, the socket bolts were way too small for the holes, a rattling fit. The heads are also marginal for pull through.

So I’ve abandoned that idea.

Whilst the drone was off I checked the joint of QR mount to Pyramid mount. With the screws removed, the mount is solid as I’d used locktite during assembly. I did however notice rub marks on the base of the QR mount where it contacted the rail. This, I can only assume, must be due to a tiny bit of movement during recoil. This could well be my problem. If there’s movement, there must be some play. What I wanted to do was loctite the QR to the rail but that may not have been wise. What I decided to do was use 2 layers of tin foil between the mount and rail. Hopefully that’ll be enough to stabilise things. All I need to do now is waste mor ammunition on paper.

I’m not sure what else I can do.

Ttocs

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 03 Jul 2018, 14:09

Ttocs wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 11:20
Quick update, the m4 Allen bolts and washers arrived today. So Drone off; first thing I discovered was the ‘semi captive’ nuts on the QR are not std M4. Checking them with a set of calipers revealled they are rectangular section 4.9mm x 5.15mm with what must be an imperial or metric fine thread of around 4mm. Whatever, the socket bolts were way too small for the holes, a rattling fit. The heads are also marginal for pull through.

So I’ve abandoned that idea.

Whilst the drone was off I checked the joint of QR mount to Pyramid mount. With the screws removed, the mount is solid as I’d used locktite during assembly. I did however notice rub marks on the base of the QR mount where it contacted the rail. This, I can only assume, must be due to a tiny bit of movement during recoil. This could well be my problem. If there’s movement, there must be some play. What I wanted to do was loctite the QR to the rail but that may not have been wise. What I decided to do was use 2 layers of tin foil between the mount and rail. Hopefully that’ll be enough to stabilise things. All I need to do now is waste mor ammunition on paper.

I’m not sure what else I can do.

Ttocs
Can you not just move the unit forward until stop in the pic rail as the recoil should try to move it forward, that is what I did with my Dronepro.

Ttocs

Post by Ttocs » 03 Jul 2018, 16:09

Thanks for the reply and advice. Yes, I’ve pushed it forward as I’ve tightened the QR levers. There doesn’t appear to be any movement as the square pins are a tight fit in the rail grooves. However, the marks on the bottom of the QR mount suggest otherwise. Any way, I’ve pushed it forward as you’ve suggested, hopefully this time it’ll hold zero.
Ttocs