ADDONIGHT

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
mozie

Re: ADDONIGHT

Post by mozie » 04 Sep 2018, 14:13

sunndog wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 09:58
mozie wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 03:27
The on-board ir of the addonight is very capable of going out well beyong 200 yds with the right scope, on my millets 6x25x56 while out tonight foxing I was viewing hares at around 400yds plus on ir2 using 9x mag on the scope if I went down to 6 I could clearly see hares to the end of the field between 550/600 yds on stubble fields ..

If I use a t50 or t20 even a t38 with the oslon AS chip the image is not as clear as the on-board ir of the addonight, why some people say its only good for 100mtrs is beyong me and need to get another scope even on my Bushnell legend 3x9x50 I get the same results maybe even a little better image quality using the Bushnell
That is something special

What sort of lens is on its on-board or?
It has the 16mm lens on the addonight my spotter has s lens off a gen1 tubed monocular 50mm I believe

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 04 Sep 2018, 16:59

mozie wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 14:13
sunndog wrote:
mozie wrote:
The on-board ir of the addonight is very capable of going out well beyong 200 yds with the right scope, on my millets 6x25x56 while out tonight foxing I was viewing hares at around 400yds plus on ir2 using 9x mag on the scope if I went down to 6 I could clearly see hares to the end of the field between 550/600 yds on stubble fields ..

If I use a t50 or t20 even a t38 with the oslon AS chip the image is not as clear as the on-board ir of the addonight, why some people say its only good for 100mtrs is beyong me and need to get another scope even on my Bushnell legend 3x9x50 I get the same results maybe even a little better image quality using the Bushnell

It has the 16mm lens on the addonight my spotter has s lens off a gen1 tubed monocular 50mm I believe
Can you explain that please? I think the thread is about use on a scope but I'm slightly dyslexic and you lost me lol.

Perhaps you have a great mod we'd like to hear about?
Last edited by some bloke on 04 Sep 2018, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

mozie

Post by mozie » 04 Sep 2018, 19:14

some bloke wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 16:59
mozie wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 14:13
sunndog wrote:

Can you explain that please? I think the thread is about use on a scope but I'm slightly dyslexic and you lost me lol.

Perhaps you have a great mod we'd like to hear about?

You lost me mate asking what lens im using did you mean on the addonight if so it's a 16mm lens

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 04 Sep 2018, 20:22

I was asking what sort of lens is on the built in I.r illuminator.
Although I really was to know what led is in there too because those ranges must be the furthest I've ever heard of with such a small illuminator
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

mozie

Post by mozie » 04 Sep 2018, 21:22

I'm not sure what it is they use mate I know it's 850nm and the lens is a cctv 16mm lens but on my scopes, the on-board ir is far more powerfully then a t50 and t38 with the oslon chip

what I'll do on my next trip out shooting which will be Thursdays night I will record what I was saying about range etc viewing hares at those ranges using on-board ir and also a t50 to prove what I say, I've nothing to gain by claiming those ranges I stated, I was as shocked as my mate I shoot with , he tyres the addonight on his sightron scope and got the same results..

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 04 Sep 2018, 23:12

The LED in the addonight illuminator is de-domed and bonded onto a heatsink.
The surface of the LED looks like it's made up of a bunch of very small point source emitters.
There are 3 wires going to the LED chip so perhaps one for each of the three different power levels
It's not an arrangement I've seen before and as yet, I haven't found out the exact type of LED that's being used
Given that there is usually about 100% difference in output between the best and worst of any LED, it's possible that mozie got one from the top of the pile
When the LED is at it's most tightly focussed position there are speckles of light in the image which i think correspond to the point source emitters on the LED.
Given that the aspheric lens in the illuminator is only about 15mm diameter, it's performance is extremely impressive.
I could just about make out some sheep at around 400 yards with it, but obviously not well enough illuminated to shoot at that range.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

mozie

Post by mozie » 05 Sep 2018, 02:56

Hiya Bruce I have 2 addonight units now and there both the same, ones for 223 calibre and also a 308 calibre version and both perform the same , maybe someone can help me as to why when using the t50 or t20 the range and also image clarity is nowhere near as good as when I use the ir on-board,

As a demonstration of what I mean I was viewing a bale stack which,was at 243yds using on-board ir just beyond them is a line of tall trees prbly between 250 to 260 yds away, it was windy and I could see the leaves clearly rustling in the wind, i turned off the on-board ir and switched to the t50 the image was nowere near as clear I could see the tree but not the leaves rustling like I could using the on-board ir no matter how I tryed , adjusting paralax or tweaking the add-on switch back to on-board ir and bang leaves clear and sharp image again ..

Any ideas .....
Last edited by mozie on 05 Sep 2018, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post by .270 » 05 Sep 2018, 10:38

mozie wrote:

I am now going out to try to find a Millet, 6- 25 x56 Scope to buy. :thumbup:

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 05 Sep 2018, 11:47

phoenix wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 23:12
The LED in the addonight illuminator is de-domed and bonded onto a heatsink.
The surface of the LED looks like it's made up of a bunch of very small point source emitters.
There are 3 wires going to the LED chip so perhaps one for each of the three different power levels
It's not an arrangement I've seen before and as yet, I haven't found out the exact type of LED that's being used
Given that there is usually about 100% difference in output between the best and worst of any LED, it's possible that mozie got one from the top of the pile
When the LED is at it's most tightly focussed position there are speckles of light in the image which i think correspond to the point source emitters on the LED.
Given that the aspheric lens in the illuminator is only about 15mm diameter, it's performance is extremely impressive.
I could just about make out some sheep at around 400 yards with it, but obviously not well enough illuminated to shoot at that range.

Cheers

Bruce

Those are some seriously impressive ranges and an interesting illuminator

Suddenly I want to try one :lol:
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 05 Sep 2018, 14:45

That's tilted my idle curiosity hat Bruce, not that I'll be buying one:

Three point source emitters behind an aspheric lens. :eh: Is there a slight shift of the tight focused emitter pattern POA when changing power settings?

I'm mindfull that some emitters have better patterns than the Oslons we generally use for example.