ADDONIGHT

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: ADDONIGHT

Post by phoenix » 08 Sep 2018, 19:50

some bloke wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 15:30
I've sat back waiting patiently for the proof of pudding videos to come out but think its now time for a Kevlar flack jacket for me. These rigs, in admittedly VERY well thought out professionally moulded housings with VERY decent features and likely decent PCB's too have been around for over two months now, yet mozie's is the fist video I think I've seen from them.

Surely I can't be the only person with a critical eye capable of seeing - or realist enough to say that eyeshine smear suggests a lot of sense up is used? I've watched the video on my desktop PC TV/monitor in full screen as the camera used has high resolution. It works Jim - but not as we know it comes to mind.

Given that it has a built in recording facility I'm amazed there have not been a flood of youtube vidoes showing how brilliant super wonderfull it is to back up all the fuss about it, the only video I've seen shows serious smear. Could someone please clear up if that smear is standard across them all - or down to very poor settings please?

In the absence of anyone else being brave enough to post up a video of its real performance I'm thinking that if the settings were corrected to clear up that eyeshine smear the item looks like it ought to be sold as ideally suited for air ranges. The plain fact is that I've seen better videos from budget home builds using cameras costing less than £20.

We are known for preferring quality cameras and being realistic about NV performance in this forum and are able to speak the truth as we see it without being blocked or censored in any way thanks to admin having no agenda. We're approaching time for Xmas presents: Are we really going to let people buy themselves or family a rig with that sort of image smear thinking its a decent performing 'must have? The video shows it doesn't come close to an E700 rigs image performance.

Lest anyone feels I'm speaking as a rival, I'll have stopped making add on's by about Xmas when I'll have used up my DSA stock and won't be making spotters either when my current batch of boxes are gone. I'm speaking as a critical user only.

I'm honestly open minded - someone please show me I'm mistaken.

Dave,
No need for the flack jacket - I was totally unimpressed with the video claiming long range for the addonight - and I own and use one!!
I'm not into videoing NV shooting simply because it can never convey the complete sensation of the situation.
All of the shooters senses are working flat out, and together they allow the brain to create a picture which is far more detailed than that captured by any video recorder.
I can't agree with mozies assessment of the range capability of the addonight although the image at the range he shot the 2 foxes was perfectly acceptable and pretty much exactly the same as mine at those ranges.
With the inbuilt IR it's really a 100-120 yard device on an average night - maybe out to 150 if the atmospheric conditions are perfect.
If you want to see the target clearly enough for a high confidence shot at more than 150 yards then you need a lot of additional IR - T74 amounts of additional IR or Dragonfly laser amounts of IR (fecks sake, I just hat tipped a laser!!!)

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 08 Sep 2018, 19:58

some bloke wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 19:39
I'm pleased to say I have found some much better imaging results on youtube after searching for 'warden adder', rather than addonight - and one from Ashley too.

The rig seems to be capable of excellent images with only a very minor hint of smear when panning across eyeshine - me tending to be very fussy about that. :geek:

Mozzie - I suspect there is something wrong with your rig - or the way you have it set up, or your editing mate.

Dave,
The addonight automatically goes into sense up mode if there's insufficient IR for it to run at the normal frame rate.
Even on relatively close target such a bunnies at 80 yards it will smear because of sense up at the lowest power setting with the internal IR.
Go up to IR 2 and it's a different beast - as good a sharp, high resolution image as I've ever seen from an NV add-on
Once the camera has enough IR to produce that sharp hi res image, adding more IR doesn't make it any better.
Obviously, as the range increase out beyond about 120-150 yards, the internal IR runs out of legs and an external IR is needed.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 08 Sep 2018, 19:59

(fecks sake, I just hat tipped a laser!!!)

Cheers

Bruce
[/quote]

LMFA right off. :D

mozie

Post by mozie » 08 Sep 2018, 23:22

When I didb the video I used as I said my millets 6x25x56 , it's certainly not the best scope for nv even with my e700 setup on there it needed more ir , alot more ir then I used on my Bushnell scopes ,

When I use it on the Bushnell it's alot better quality picture image and clarity wise, I should have used that scope to do the video my fault, but for the money of the unit it's a great bit of kit and on the correct scope is capable of all my shooting ranges at night, some may say ye but what about being able to make sure what your actually shooting at is what you think it is, well I can because I use a roof mounted spotter to view then at the last minute switch to my rifle and use the ir from that for the kill shot if the fox moves then either my son or my mate follows it with the spotter so I'm 100 % ,,

mozie

Post by mozie » 09 Sep 2018, 01:14

some bloke wrote:
I'm pleased to say I have found some much better imaging results on youtube after searching for 'warden adder', rather than addonight - and one from Ashley too.

The rig seems to be capable of excellent images with only a very minor hint of smear when panning across eyeshine - me tending to be very fussy about that. :geek:

Mozzie - I suspect there is something wrong with your rig - or the way you have it set up, or your editing, or your scope is not ideal or a mixture mate.
The scope mate is not the best for nv even with an e700 setup it needed more light on my Bushnell it's alot better then the millets as you say things are clearer, what you see from those foxes coming in I could have altered paralax but it was moving fast and when stopped it was still clear enough to shoot so to save messing when the fox was in sight I shot it , you also get some slight delay when 'recording onscreen so tha5s doesn't help, when not recording it's fine

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 09 Sep 2018, 11:51

mozie wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 01:14
some bloke wrote:

Mozzie - I suspect there is something wrong with your rig - or the way you have it set up, or your editing, or your scope is not ideal or a mixture mate.
The scope mate is not the best for nv even with an e700 setup it needed more light on my Bushnell it's alot better then the millets as you say things are clearer, what you see from those foxes coming in I could have altered paralax but it was moving fast and when stopped it was still clear enough to shoot so to save messing when the fox was in sight I shot it , you also get some slight delay when 'recording onscreen so tha5s doesn't help, when not recording it's fine
Better suited scope for you then mate. :thumbup:

Seems the scope minimum mag is bigger than ideal too when the unit has a fair bit of zoom already built in. I have an old Tasco 1.5 - 5 x 42 that sounds ideal for my mainly rimfire ranges if I ever get one, but thats unlikely because I can't seem to use near eye units without getting serious amounts of eye sting. I tried someone's thermal a couple years ago that immediately made me want to throw up, and have had someone else tell me they get it too - says he has vertigo.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 09 Sep 2018, 12:00

Well I just Googled vertigo and whadayaknow? :eh:

"Vertigo is a symptom where a person feels as if they or the objects around them are moving when they are not.[1] Often it feels like a spinning or swaying movement.[1][2] This may be associated with nausea, vomiting, sweating, or difficulties walking.[2] It is typically worse when the head is moved.[2] Vertigo is the most common type of dizziness."

HUH - I remember having to hold onto the gate I was looking over to avoid falling down. :o

Silent Shooter
FOUNDER

Post by Silent Shooter » 09 Sep 2018, 12:05

Well I just Googled vertigo and whadayaknow? :eh:

Think it means were past our sell by date Dave :silent:
Geoff

owl

Post by owl » 09 Sep 2018, 12:10

some bloke wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 12:00

"Vertigo is a symptom where a person feels as if they or the objects around them are moving when they are not.[1] Often it feels like a spinning or swaying movement.[1][2] This may be associated with nausea, vomiting, sweating, or difficulties walking.[2] It is typically worse when the head is moved, especially after the liberal consumption of alcohol .[2] Vertigo is the most common type of dizziness.”
:think:

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 09 Sep 2018, 19:06

phoenix wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 09:42
Lightmesser,
You're right, with the Warden adder type add-on there's really no need for anyone to be building their own NV kit.
The days when a DIYer could build something substantially better than was available commercially and for a lot less money, are now pretty much gone.
Of course, if someone is motivated simply by the pleasure and knowledge gained by building a DIY NV set up then they should go straight ahead, and if they need help with that, they only need to ask.
But for the majority, who simply want to shoot using NV, the the adder and it's clones make life much simpler.
Having said that, it was DIY NV and IR builds that really made this forum and led to the huge knowledge base that still exists here.
Although we don't see nearly as many DIY projects as before (photobucket charging a monthly fee didn't help) I think that when new kit comes onto the market, the reviews and opinions expressed here have much more value than those seen in magazines, facebook groups, YoutTube videos etc

Cheers

Bruce
Yes... This device is tha BOMB! Especially with 25mm lenses... All in one device. Spotter/Addon/DVR device and top battery as I predicted in early phase of my diy builds(no one wanted to recommend anything but el wirecraft batteries, and I have been asking why not 18650? :lol: ) it certainly has most powerful and standardized battery setup - 18650 battery.

Diy? Yes... I can only qute you again "The days when a DIYer could build something substantially better than was available commercially and for a lot less money, are now pretty much gone".