CRS Addonight

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
jdk1

Re: CRS Addonight

Post by jdk1 » 05 Sep 2018, 08:32

Harleyman wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 07:43
Hi, i have had another play with the Addonight last night and now that i have got a bit more used to the controls and have played around with the settings, i am impressed with it. Just with the onboard ir 100yds is no problem and the image is pretty clear. You can actually see much much further, maybe 300 over open ground. I have yet to try it with an external ir, and would like to see how it looks using a different scope with side focus, so i am still looking for a used hawke. I still find the shooting position very uncomfortable though, even with a 1inch extension on the butt, i think more would improve it. Also, i find that the bolt on my cz 452 catches on the scope adapter and makes ejection of the spent case a bit hit and miss. A bit of filing should sort that out. All in all a good bit of kit in my opinion.
Try putting the adapter with the screws on the other side of the gun if that's where it is hitting.

Lloyd90

Post by Lloyd90 » 05 Sep 2018, 10:27

Is there genuinely a difference between the 223 and 308 model though?

Other places selling the same type of scope don't have 2 separate models ... genuinely curious?

Harleyman

Post by Harleyman » 05 Sep 2018, 12:18

I shoot left handed, so the adapter screws are on the other side to the bolt, just there is not much clearance between the bolt handle and the scope eyepiece, the thickness of the adapter just makes that difference and the bolt catches on the edge of it. I'll file a bit of a chamfer on the edge where it hits so that it doesn't catch so much.
As for the other post regarding the two versions, i have the "308" version but i can't see what the difference is between the two apart from a higher price! As i have said before i don't think i would fancy putting my eye against the eyepiece if i fitted it to my 308 stalking rifle, and letting the recoil from firing a 150gn bullet smash it back into my eyebrow. I saw the result when my friend did exactly that.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 05 Sep 2018, 12:37

Lloyd90 wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 10:27

Other places selling the same type of scope don't have 2 separate models ... genuinely curious?
Custom riflescopes give you 3 choices:
The 223 version in 16mm or 25mm lens
The 308 version with 16mm lens

The Night vision store only offers one model and does not specify lens focal length or recoil rating

Ludicrous lumens only offer one model - for 308, but no lens focal length mentioned (it will be 16mm because i understand 25mm on the 308 version is a special order only)

Perhaps Customriflescopes simply want to give their customers a wider choice of product more closely suited to their needs.

I bought the 223 version with 16mm lens and it's great, but if I was buying again I'd go for the 25mm lens option because it will a better spotter than the 16mm version

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

angrybear

Post by angrybear » 07 Sep 2018, 19:13

Lloyd90 wrote:

Can't remember where I read it, but saw somewhere that the 308 version the internals are set in resin to hold them secure.
No idea if it's true or not. ;)

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 07 Sep 2018, 22:00

I regret getting rid of my Eotech now, sticking one of these behind it with a 25mm lens and in built magnification would have made a damned good all round unit.
Missed the boat again.
The tool driving this vehicle is removed at night. Sometimes.

Harleyman

Post by Harleyman » 13 Sep 2018, 07:47

Any suggestions regarding a good ir illuminator for the Addonight? The built in ir on the unit is actually better than my little deben tracer with Black Sun 2 pill.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 13 Sep 2018, 08:01

phoenix wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 12:37
Lloyd90 wrote:

Custom riflescopes give you 3 choices:
The 223 version in 16mm or 25mm lens
The 308 version with 16mm lens

The Night vision store only offers one model and does not specify lens focal length or recoil rating

Ludicrous lumens only offer one model - for 308, but no lens focal length mentioned (it will be 16mm because i understand 25mm on the 308 version is a special order only)

Perhaps Customriflescopes simply want to give their customers a wider choice of product more closely suited to their needs.

I bought the 223 version with 16mm lens and it's great, but if I was buying again I'd go for the 25mm lens option because it will a better spotter than the 16mm version

Cheers

Bruce
Bruce,

No one talks about eye relief... Can you tell approximate what is eye relief of this unit, and would you feel safe to use it with .308 plus calibers.

Thanks.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 13 Sep 2018, 09:27

Lightmesser,
The eye relief is only around 1 inch.
I tried it with the rubber eyecup on and off, but in both cases the eye needs to be about 1 inch away from the ocular lens to be able to see all of the screen clearly.
The rubber eyecup is quite thick and soft and does a good job of absorbing recoil.
As usual, every shooter "feels" recoil differently, so it's not possible for me to say how it would "feel"on 308 plus calibres.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 13 Sep 2018, 14:39

phoenix wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 09:27
Lightmesser,
The eye relief is only around 1 inch.
I tried it with the rubber eyecup on and off, but in both cases the eye needs to be about 1 inch away from the ocular lens to be able to see all of the screen clearly.
The rubber eyecup is quite thick and soft and does a good job of absorbing recoil.
As usual, every shooter "feels" recoil differently, so it's not possible for me to say how it would "feel"on 308 plus calibres.

Cheers

Bruce
Thanks,

Yes plenty of guys could comment that 1" is not enough but I think it should not be any problems especially if one have habit to shoulder serious centerfire rifle very firmly. But however there are all kinds of hunters and some of them actually prefer "gentle" rifle shouldering for better rifle float action upon shot. Well in that case eye kick could happen but then that rubber eyecup protects from injury.