Clives digiceptor

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Barmyfarmer

Re: Clives digiceptor

Post by Barmyfarmer » 26 Sep 2018, 19:05

Any updates blueroll?

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 27 Sep 2018, 04:13

Barmyfarmer wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 19:05
Any updates blueroll?
YES.
I will be keeping the LRF as it is very difficult to see the CRS rangefinder splash in the image, although it is also difficult to see the Digiceptor LRF splash as well. I did manage it in the end though and once you lay the box on the base of the splash (as per the instruction) it works well and there is a handy little remote pad that you can Velcro to the stock.
As for the actual image, I did manage 2 foxes together on Tuesday night at a lasered 163m on ploughed stubble, in full moonlight, so you can draw your own conclusions to that, but I am still waiting for a dark night to test the contrast and play with the screen brightness.
One other interesting point, and others may be aware of this ( I am a laser IR novice) is that as it got misty in the cold valley bottoms at 3am the SRX on spot seemed to cut through it and allowed me to ID a Badger at 186m, although it was new ground for me and the mist could have been effecting the range reading. In good visibility conditions the SRX on spot is way to much and total white out.

smb64

Post by smb64 » 28 Sep 2018, 15:25

Hi all
Just got my digiceptor from Clive.
Will be zeroing the rifle this weekend hopefully .
Can anyone recommend an optimum zeroing range for the following.
.17 Winchester super magnum
3000 FPS
20 grain bullet
3” scope height
I’m thinking 100yds , but not sure because of scope height.
Cheers
Steve

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 28 Sep 2018, 16:24

Steve.
I went on the Hornady website ballistic calculator to give me some idea with my 243, and in practice the actual did reflect the theory off a 75 and 200 zero and only climbing to 1.6" at 150yds.

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 28 Sep 2018, 18:13

blueroll wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 04:13
Barmyfarmer wrote:
Any updates blueroll?
YES.
I will be keeping the LRF as it is very difficult to see the CRS rangefinder splash in the image, although it is also difficult to see the Digiceptor LRF splash as well. I did manage it in the end though and once you lay the box on the base of the splash (as per the instruction) it works well and there is a handy little remote pad that you can Velcro to the stock.
As for the actual image, I did manage 2 foxes together on Tuesday night at a lasered 163m on ploughed stubble, in full moonlight, so you can draw your own conclusions to that, but I am still waiting for a dark night to test the contrast and play with the screen brightness.
One other interesting point, and others may be aware of this ( I am a laser IR novice) is that as it got misty in the cold valley bottoms at 3am the SRX on spot seemed to cut through it and allowed me to ID a Badger at 186m, although it was new ground for me and the mist could have been effecting the range reading. In good visibility conditions the SRX on spot is way to much and total white out.

This tells me that the camera in the digiceptor is not as good as the one in the drone. No matter what laser i use whether the Dragonfly or DFK the drone copes with it instantly, i have never seen whiteout with a drone .

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 28 Sep 2018, 19:30

smb64 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 15:25
Hi all
3000 FPS
20 grain bullet
3” scope height
Cheers
Steve
The Hawke calculator will give you some idea, it has WSM listed in presets.
https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/x-act.html
The tool driving this vehicle is removed at night. Sometimes.

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 28 Sep 2018, 20:16

jackal1 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 18:13
blueroll wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 04:13
Barmyfarmer wrote:
Any updates blueroll?
YES.

This tells me that the camera in the digiceptor is not as good as the one in the drone. No matter what laser i use whether the Dragonfly or DFK the drone copes with it instantly, i have never seen whiteout with a drone .
As a side note I have used the add on laser range finders extensively with rear add ons were the multiple layers of glass can reduce the output of the laser splash on high mags dimming it down, fitting one to a drone the laser splash is VERY bright out to 500yds+, which would tell me they are very sensitive as most dedicated units should be, Photon is the same.

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 28 Sep 2018, 20:16

smb64

Post by smb64 » 28 Sep 2018, 23:41

chas wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 19:30
smb64 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 15:25
Hi all
3000 FPS
20 grain bullet
3” scope height
Cheers
Steve
Thanks
But I’m over 50 so can you send me the actual WSM link cause I can’t find i5 !
The Hawke calculator will give you some idea, it has WSM listed in presets.
https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/x-act.html

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 29 Sep 2018, 13:22

jackal1 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 18:13

It's actually an extremely high performing camera in the Digiceptor. For best results the IR should be set so that it fills the field of view, if you choke it down to a spot then it will white out even at extremely long range due to the sensitivity. If the IR fills the field of view then it won't, even at 10 yards and the auto exposure will work as it should. 8-)

To give an indication a 38mm Black Sun Ruby T20 will give full illumination (as in the camera isn't doing any processing work to improve the exposure) at 300m, A Black Sunnranger Ruby will do the same at 600m! No frame integration, no grain, no gain ramping, nothing.

The LRF splash visibility, isn't an indicator of performance either. The Digiceptor has a LWIR cut filter so that it ca be used during the day without special lens caps and other faffing. The filter wavelength is beyond IR illuminator wavelengths, but obviously cuts some LRF IR laser radiation which can be into the 1500nm range. ;)

Cheers

Clive