Scopeless DIY market research and development

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Scopeless DIY market research and development

Post by some bloke » 24 Jan 2014, 01:58

A bit of research digging please chaps for a broader spectrum opinion and eyesight than mine alone.

Question 1 : Those of you with 2.5" screen DVR's, can you focus your eye on them clearly if they are positioned just above the breech of your rifle, with your head in it's usual position as per a day scope?

Question 2: Has anyone tried the EJ230, E700 or that smaller bullet cam for night and day use with the filter left on?
Last edited by some bloke on 31 Jan 2014, 02:57, edited 2 times in total.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Market research questions

Post by some bloke » 25 Jan 2014, 05:02

This week will do. :P

snu

Post by snu » 25 Jan 2014, 08:57

The EJ230 looses a bit of colour during daylight without the filter in place but still usable, so mind telling us what your up to :idea:

kev1299

Post by kev1299 » 25 Jan 2014, 10:29

1) I use an angel eye dvr but, no matter where it was, I wouldn't be able to focus on it without reading glasses. As I don't like to wear them shooting I made a system using a magnifier. Just updated it with an E700 and Pulsar DSA.

URL=http://s972.photobucket.com/user/firekd ... 5.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 25 Jan 2014, 18:09

Cheers lads.
Snu - in the fullness of time mate.
Kev, similar to me then thanks.

Still looking for more information about focusing on the screen if it is near the breech of your rifle. I'm sure it's not too hard to guestimate that distance but I need to be confident normal sighted people can focus on it there.

Also the filter, surely someone tried it out of curiosity before removing the filter. :crazy:

I'm talking scopeless mode - like wot CCTV is designed to do, not the rear add on mode which is fighting beyond it's design parameters.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 25 Jan 2014, 19:00

i'll have a look tomorrow mate

we'll have to start calling you somenitehunterbloke
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 27 Jan 2014, 13:03

I realise this should actually be in the DIY section - because it's you guys who will be DIY fitting your bits to the project. Perhaps it could be moved?

More R&D. As a mount for a potential plastic moulded flip out DVR carrier plate for the longer version - is this too bulky being as it would be prohibitive to custom mould something smaller for our niche little market. Its a steam pipe clamp - costing about a fiver with the stand -off plates.

If anyone has any more compact ideas I'd need to see it PDQ because I'm looking at ten weeks or so to get the mould tool and DVR carrier plate made.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 27 Jan 2014, 17:21

I personally think the above is too agricultural for most of you. I might delete that post.

I found this nice dinky ikkle thing and can see the potential if we use 10mm thick black perspex plate to carry the DVR. A bolt hole can be drilled down one side of the perspex then face off about half of it to leave about 5mm thick perspex to fit the DVR to;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380655400842

Ideas welcome chaps because this is primarily a project where I will machine the awkward bits that will be difficult for DIY builders at a price that makes it worth my while to do that rather than make the whole thing. The overall price will be good if you source and fit your own parts to it so I won't be making a profit on those. I anticipate a DIY scope-less build for £200~£250 with a DVR, an iris and user choice of lens/mag instead of retro fitting a doubler. :angel:

Budget about £50 for the tube with a CS mount thread at the front: I'll have to buy a milling machine to cut a tidy cable exit slot and/or an OSD access hole in the side behind the EJ230 camera, and to reliably get a bolt hole down through the section of perspex or whatever we come up with without bursting out the side. In fact I think a moulded flip out will be better.

I need to see some interaction before I commit to spending my hard earned on anything meaningful though so for the moment its still research.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Scopeless DIY market research questions

Post by sunndog » 27 Jan 2014, 21:14

some bloke wrote:Question 1 : Those of you with 2.5" screen DVR's, can you focus your eye on them clearly if they are positioned just above the breech of your rifle, with your head in it's usual position as per a day scope?
had a look at this earlier mate.
i found that 8-9" away from me eyeball was about as close as was comfortable focus wise
which put the dvr between the adjustment turrets and the rear scope mount

i don't wear glasses or owt
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Scopeless DIY market research questions

Post by some bloke » 27 Jan 2014, 21:18

Cheers my me old beauty.

Any more for any more - roll up roll up any old irons yada yada.