Calibre question?

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Calibre question?

Postby phoenix » 10 Oct 2017, 21:04

I agree that not all the powder is burned in a 20" barrel and (because it's only used at night) flames are visible when the rifle is fired.
24 or 25 inches might be a good barrel length for a 22-250 if you're on the range or are in a high seat, but try to use a rifle with a 24 or 25 inch barrel with a sound moderator on the end of it when shooting from inside a vehicle and you'll soon realise that a short barrel does have it's advantages.
With 42gn of RS60 powder and a 50gn VMax bullet, the muzzle velocity from my 20" barrel Tikka T3 22-250 is 3800 ft/sec (1157m/s) and a muzzle energy of 1650 ftlbs (2237 joules) - which is more than enough for any fox.
In darkness, and using a thermal spotter to detect foxes and a thermal riflescope to shoot them, the biggest problem is range estimation - you can't easily use a laser rangefinder in the dark.
Therefore I use a calibre that (within reason) fires a bullet with the flattest trajectory possible , and which is heavy enough to ensure a clean kill.
Both 222 and 223 are perfectly good calibres for shooting foxes, but at extended ranges their bullets drop more than a 22-250 making it necessary to apply some "Arkansas Elevation"
As for the 22-250 and 243 being "barrel killers" - that depends rather more on the rate of fire rather than actual number of rounds being fired.
Each round fired puts a certain amount of heat into the barrel and between shots, the barrel loses heat to it's surroundings.
If shots are fired at a rate such that the heat going into barrel exceeds the rate at which heat can leave the barrel, then the barrel can overheat and be damaged
if I go to the range and fire 50 rounds in an hour, and do that regularly, then there's a good chance that the barrel life will be short.
But if I'm out shooting foxes and fire 3 or 4 rounds in a session lasting 4 or 5 hours, then the barrel life will not be compromised.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Wild-Boar

Re: Calibre question?

Postby Wild-Boar » 10 Oct 2017, 22:22

In darkness, and using a thermal spotter to detect foxes and a thermal riflescope to shoot them, the biggest problem is range estimation

It is possible to make a privacy masking reticle like the russian scope https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Distance_meas.png/220px-Distance_meas.png for foxes.
I agree that short barrels are easier to handle.
Therefore I use a calibre that (within reason) fires a bullet with the flattest trajectory possible , and which is heavy enough to ensure a clean kill.

Thats right too. But today you can use brass bullets and have the same result with more moderate cartridges. For example this 223 http://lutzmoeller.net/1/5,6-mm/223-Rem.php something around 4 inch drop at 300 yards!

Cheers
Stefan

Return to “Rifles and Ammo”