Back into shooting but which rifle to use ????

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
lanerboy

Back into shooting but which rifle to use ????

Post by lanerboy » 15 Jan 2018, 20:28

Hi All

Been off line for a while as stopped shooting for a few years due to one thing and another, worst thing I did was sell my gun a Sako Finfire Varmint heavy barrel 22lr it was the first 22lr I had had and I really enjoyed it and shot a lot of rabbits with it.

The thing is what should I buy now I loved the Finfire but I fancy a change and wanted to know what you recommend I could buy for rabbits, I would also like to fit a NV kit to it.

Cheers LB

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Back into shooting but which rifle to use ????

Post by phoenix » 15 Jan 2018, 21:36

Weihrauch HW66 or HW60J
Better build quality than new Finfire II, the best trigger in the business and a lot cheaper than an Anschutz.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

andy66

Post by andy66 » 15 Jan 2018, 21:50

If your after a cheap work horse that will deliver 1/4 inch groups at 100yds all day long a CZ455 with a £!5 trigger kit is the way to go. Plenty of stock choices available for them too.

lanerboy

Post by lanerboy » 16 Jan 2018, 07:24

Many thanks for that I will look At all of the above

LB

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 17 Jan 2018, 14:38

LB,

Welcome back. :thumbup:

I love a .22 LR. Awesome for rabbiting and sensible foxing.

The HW66 Production with a short barrel (14") would make an excellent rifle and is what I would buy if I didn't already have an Anschutz.

Cheers

Clive

muntjackdjb

Post by muntjackdjb » 17 Jan 2018, 19:23

+ 1 for anschutz. Great rifles. My dad has had his over 20 years and it has had thousands of rounds through it.
I had a Cz and hated it. Guess I was spoilt by anschutz.
Regards Dan

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

lanerboy

Post by lanerboy » 18 Jan 2018, 18:04

Clive

I have been looking at the HW66 production and reading the reviews and I am very impressed and may buy this model, would you go for the thumb hole walnut stock or standard also what difference will it make if its not got the 14" barrel

Just need to find one now at right money

LB

andy66

Post by andy66 » 19 Jan 2018, 13:41

I personally like thumb hole stocks as they are easier to hold the rifle one handed when reaching into pockets etc and like the pistol grip shape. 14'' barrel is great for shooting from a vehicle. Though my mate had a 14'' barrel cz 22lr and it wouldn't stabilise any high velocity ammo. Anyone else experienced this issue from a short barrel using HV?

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 21 Jan 2018, 20:14

lanerboy wrote:Clive

I have been looking at the HW66 production and reading the reviews and I am very impressed and may buy this model, would you go for the thumb hole walnut stock or standard also what difference will it make if its not got the 14" barrel

Just need to find one now at right money

LB
Hi LB,

I think the stock is a personal preference. I like the vertical grip on my HW66 Jagd Match. That is a vertical pistol grip that is handed. The thumbhole configuration is an easy way to make this ambidextrous.

For subsonics I think after 14-16" depending on the barrel, velocities reduce due to drag. Not massively though.

The short rifle is just very light and handy.

Cheers

Clive

Nightowl

Post by Nightowl » 23 Jan 2018, 00:19

cliveward wrote:LB,

Welcome back. :thumbup:

I love a .22 LR. Awesome for rabbiting and sensible foxing.

The HW66 Production with a short barrel (14") would make an excellent rifle and is what I would buy if I didn't already have an Anschutz.

Cheers

Clive
You cannot beat a Anschutz Clive , thats why i have x3 x2 bolt action and a semi/auto
all .22lr,s all used with NV i will have to get round to one of your addons shortly,
atb brian