How important are scope mounts

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
lanerboy

How important are scope mounts

Postby lanerboy » 11 Feb 2018, 16:16

Hi all

How important are good quality scope mounts what happens if cheaper mounts are used on a decent scope with 30mm tube does the scope move ??????

LB

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: How important are scope mounts

Postby phoenix » 11 Feb 2018, 17:32

I think it depends on how much recoil the rifle is producing. On a rimfire or PCP air rifle, where recoil is negligible, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on mounts.
I'd spend more on a centrefire and more again on a hard recoiling centrefire
Spring and gas ram air rifles can recoil quite heavily, so again, a decent set of mounts is worth having.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

lanerboy

Postby lanerboy » 11 Feb 2018, 17:36

Thanks Bruce

This is for a hw 100 for now will be getting another rimfire soon so needs to be good for both of these

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Postby phoenix » 11 Feb 2018, 19:04

So, you've got a pcp air rifle and are hoping to get a rimfire - almost any mounts will do the job OK.
Sportsmatch, Hawke, UTG are all fine. Also have a look at Ant Supplies - he has a great selection https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scope-ring-mounts/

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

lanerboy

Postby lanerboy » 11 Feb 2018, 19:08

Thanks Bruce
Yes using the pcp at the minute as sold my sako finfire 12 months ago (wish I hadnt) got my eye on a cz455 but just waiting for Thursday as things may change will know by then

Brooksy

Postby Brooksy » 12 Feb 2018, 20:53

If you're using a Yukon Photon, fully adjustable mounts like the Sportsmatch ATP66 are pretty essential to get a good zero. The Photon isn't exactly centred correctly or consistent in manufacture.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Return to “Rifles and Ammo”