Duff Browning A bolt

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
Spudgun

Duff Browning A bolt

Post by Spudgun » 20 Aug 2018, 08:01

Well, it's taken me 12 years to realise I've been done. I've struggled with this rifle since brought it's POI moves left and right when you shoot closer or further away from your original zero position, basically it's got some serious crossover going on. I've tried different ammo, scopes, mounts etc. Anyway it's had some quality mounts on for some time (10 years) and in that time I've had several hundred foxes and deer but always around 100 yds. Last year I stuck on a rail and things were going really bad. Zero at 100, go back to 200 and POI has moved 3" left. To shorten the story a bit, the rear two mount holes in the receiver are a off center, causing the rail to move off the line when tightened. My theory is swarf behind the receiver when the mounting holes were drilled.
I'm currently using leupold mounts, the rear is wind age adjustable, sort of works but the recoil from the .243 is loosening it.
Would Browning be interested in this? Would they do owt after 12 years. At the moment the rifle is completely unusable.
Any help you kind people can give me will be much appreciated.
Regards
Dave

Ps I have contacted browning last night and I eagerly look forward to their response.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

jackal1

Re: Duff Browning A bolt

Post by jackal1 » 21 Aug 2018, 12:09

I suspect Browning wouldn't be interested in it after 12 hours never mind 12 years. Why did you keep it so long?

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 21 Aug 2018, 12:09

I suspect Browning wouldn't be interested in it after 12 hours never mind 12 years. Why did you keep it so long?

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » 21 Aug 2018, 19:41

I've wondered for a while now why I kept it. But to be honest when it had the original leupold mounts it wasn't that bad. Then the rail went on and it turned into a pig.
Then we realised after hundreds of rounds, numerous scopes, etc.
So my only course of action is to put the leupold mounts back on but with some form of locktite on the threads.
Center the scopes windage, then zero with the rear mounts.
The dealer I got the rifle off isn't interested (not surprising).
Browning hasn't got back to me yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

Simples

C.J

Post by C.J » 21 Aug 2018, 20:14

Sounds like my Winchester 70 - it came s/h with Hilver mounts which are windage adjustable.

When I fitted a rail, I had to file the holes oval,file the edges on the concave (under the rail )and twist the rail as I tightened up the screws.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » 22 Aug 2018, 06:41

C.J wrote:Sounds like my Winchester 70 - it came s/h with Hilver mounts which are windage adjustable.

When I fitted a rail, I had to file the holes oval,file the edges on the concave (under the rail )and twist the rail as I tightened up the screws.
I thought about filing the holes on the rail, but I've got a steel rail (probably hardened) so I'm thinking no!
I'm going to get some ammo today and some locktite, will take photos of said browning balls up just for the record.
Cheers

Ttocs

Post by Ttocs » 26 Aug 2018, 23:20

Hi, have you considered Burris signature mounts, they’re a world apart from Loopy mounts. The Burris mounts have plastic insert/ring inside the mount that protects the scope tube and negates the need for lapping the ringjust like Sako/Tikka Optilocks. However, more significantly, you can purchase 5, 10 and 20 degree plastic offset inserts/rings for Burris signature rings. Burris produced these so a scope can be roughly zeroed without moving the turrets thus optimising the optical properties of the scope. They can also be used to allign a scope where the mounts are not ‘true’ as in your case. Once setup, the rings won’t move at all; it’s a great system and it works.
Now having said all that, I have a set of 1” Burris Signature Z steel rings + adjustment inserts for sale on the Stalking Directort and on e-bay if you’re interested.
Ttocs

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » 28 Aug 2018, 05:45

Ttocs wrote:Hi, have you considered Burris signature mounts, they’re a world apart from Loopy mounts. The Burris mounts have plastic insert/ring inside the mount that protects the scope tube and negates the need for lapping the ringjust like Sako/Tikka Optilocks. However, more significantly, you can purchase 5, 10 and 20 degree plastic offset inserts/rings for Burris signature rings. Burris produced these so a scope can be roughly zeroed without moving the turrets thus optimising the optical properties of the scope. They can also be used to allign a scope where the mounts are not ‘true’ as in your case. Once setup, the rings won’t move at all; it’s a great system and it works.
Now having said all that, I have a set of 1” Burris Signature Z steel rings + adjustment inserts for sale on the Stalking Directort and on e-bay if you’re interested.
Ttocs
Thanks for that Ttocs, the Burris mounts sound spot on. Unfortunately monies tight and all that, I've got some new thread lock (the other thread lock I had might have degraded over the years) I've centred the scope reticle. Completely degreased all scope to rifle threads, a dab here and there, zeroed mounts and left to cure for a couple of days. And it now shoots spot on, the bottom hole on the picture is the one that is out, but the picture might not show it very well. Thanks to all for your advice.
Cheers Image

Ttocs

Post by Ttocs » 29 Aug 2018, 23:31

Glad to sorted. I always locktite my screws and use a couple of dots of bearing fix/retaining compound when attaching rails to the action. Though some dislike using anything other than screws I’ve found it makes all the difference and rifles hold zero much better.
Cheers
Ttocs