.22hornet

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
pigeonbasher1

.22hornet

Postby pigeonbasher1 » 25 May 2017, 07:36

love my hornet but would like a shorter barrel, any recomendations as to what is considered the best, ie shortest/

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: .22hornet

Postby phoenix » 25 May 2017, 11:52

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15085&hilit=hornet
Clive's Weihrauch works fine with a 14 1/2" barrel
More 22 Hornet stuff here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16799&p=137857&hilit=hornet#p137857
I'm waiting on a variation coming through for a Weihrauch HW66 in 22 Hornet with a 16 1/2" barrel.
I had a Weihrauch HW66 in 17HMR with a 14" barrel which was a beautiful little gun that, combined with any of the many types of ammunition I put through it, wouldn't group worth a s**t.
Fortunately my local RFD had an almost new Weihrauch HW66 in 22Hornet in his "for sale" rack so I traded the HMR for the Hornet and, because they use the same stock he agreed to swapping the stocks so that I could keep the much nicer wood that was on the HMR.
Here's hoping the Hornet will do better in the accuracy stakes than the HMR.
I think you have to reload for the Hornet for it to make economic sense and Clive's find of those H&N 45 grain bullets from Germany costing about 6 p each make a huge difference to the cost of reloading

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 25 May 2017, 16:26

pigeonbasher1 wrote:love my hornet but would like a shorter barrel, any recomendations as to what is considered the best, ie shortest/

The .22 Hornet shortens very well without loosing as much velocity as a larger chambered centre-fire because of the expansion ratio (volume of chamber vs. volume of barrel) is very large.

If you have a strong action such as the HW66 or CZ527 then you can mitigate any speed loss by choosing a fast burning powder like H110 and adjusting the load to suit.

The loss of some muzzle velocity and the sort of bullets the Hornet uses aren't going to make a massive difference in trajectory or downrange performance at the distances the Hornet is used for anyway. 8-)

I would say chop it down as short as you can to suit your chosen moderator (as long as it stays over legal length for barrel and overall). Then it's up to you if you want to keep it a bit longer just in case you want to fit a different moderator at a later date or have some spare length for re-crowns, etc. :thumbup:

On the moderator front, when you do get short the muzzle pressure increases quite considerably so where an old Parker Hale would have worked on a 22-24" barrel, it won't be up to it on a short barrel.

Cheers

Clive

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 25 May 2017, 16:41

phoenix wrote:Fortunately my local RFD had an almost new Weihrauch HW66 in 22Hornet in his "for sale" rack so I traded the HMR for the Hornet and, because they use the same stock he agreed to swapping the stocks so that I could keep the much nicer wood that was on the HMR.
Here's hoping the Hornet will do better in the accuracy stakes than the HMR.

Welcome to the club Bruce! :thumbup:

You should find with a bit of load fiddling it will be a true half minute gun out to 200 yards. Pretty much all factory ammunition has shot fine through mine as well.

The best cases I have found have been Winchester.

Any help you need with load data, etc. just let me know. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Thanks for that

Postby phoenix » 25 May 2017, 17:22

Clive
Thanks for that.
OK, 3 quick questions:

Which powder, and why -LilGun or H110 (or any other)
Small pistol primers or small rifle primers
Crimping - is it beneficial? (I have a set of Lee dies which can do a roll crimp)

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

22-250jock

Postby 22-250jock » 25 May 2017, 18:40

watcha Bruce

not sure how fussy the hornet is on neck tension, but i found using a Lee factory Crimp Die really tightened up the groups on my .17 Fireball....made them more consistant and stopped that odd flier that i always seemed to get when working up loads.

sure Clive can advise on this :thumbup:

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Re: Thanks for that

Postby cliveward » 26 May 2017, 10:07

phoenix wrote:Clive
Thanks for that.
OK, 3 quick questions:

Which powder, and why -LilGun or H110 (or any other)
Small pistol primers or small rifle primers
Crimping - is it beneficial? (I have a set of Lee dies which can do a roll crimp)

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

No problem at all.

H110 is my preference especially in a shorter barrel because of it's faster burn and higher velocities.

I use small pistol primers in mine.

I use the Lee factory crimp die. http://leeprecision.com/factory-crimp-d ... ornet.html This is a collet type die that crimps and generates it's own crimp groove in the bullet as it does so. It improved consistency and accuracy in my 45 grain H&N load quite noticeably. I've not crimped the 35 grain V-max yet because they have always been 'good enough'.

The theory is that the .22 Hornet has very low neck tension so in an un-crimped reload the primer detonation pushes the bullet into the rifling by a variable amount before the main charge ignites, sending it on it's way. Using pistol primers to reduce the initial expansion and crimping the bullet in place seem to make the release of the bullet from the case, far more consistent. That's the theory anyway and in my limited tests small pistol primers improved accuracy, with crimping improving it further in the case of the 45 grain H&N load. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

sauer

Postby sauer » 29 May 2017, 21:59

Not hornet but centrefire I've always crimped

Paul

Return to “Rifles and Ammo”