Proof House tests on reloaded cartridges/ammunition ?

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
hairyyoda

Proof House tests on reloaded cartridges/ammunition ?

Postby hairyyoda » 06 Jul 2017, 00:51

Proof House tests on reloaded cartridges or c/f ammunition or powder ?.
Has anyone submitted any reloaded shotgun cartridges or centre-fire ammunition or powder to either the London or Birmingham Proof Houses for ballistic data tests. I understand that they will supply a data print out for a 10 batch ballistic test ?
Google is not being helpful to find out the charges and details ?
Thanks
Phil

Farmer

Re: Proof House tests on reloaded cartridges/ammunition ?

Postby Farmer » 07 Jul 2017, 08:40

yes i have sent 10g shotgun homeloads to birmingham years ago, now i mainly take them to Claygame as thay can do 12g which is all i use now , In steel and copper shot .

Yes they supply you with a printed report sheet . What loads are you wanting testing ?

hairyyoda

Postby hairyyoda » 07 Jul 2017, 11:40

Thank you Farmer.
This might be a classed as a odd situation ? I have a contact who has been given what is left of a 8lb jug of Hodgdons number 8 powder that has had a half teaspoon of Graphite added to it when first opened ? and has been given the remaining 6lbs of powder from the original NOW DEAD owners family.
The logic behind the addition of the Graphite by the original owner was to help the flow of the Hodgdon through the powder measuring bar because the Hodgdon sometimes used to stick.
The dilution rate of half a teaspoonful of Graphite into the original 8lb of powder is more than a ratio of one part into/per fifteen hundred parts.
With Graphite being a harmless dry flaked lubricant "I am of a opinion that the remaining 6lb is useable ? for reloading some 12 bore shotgun cartridges "after some trailed 12 bore cartridges have been fully tested"
I don't see a huge problem but would not rush in without checking etc.
Thoughts and any opinions ?
Thanks
Phil

Farmer

Postby Farmer » 07 Jul 2017, 22:32

I have know someone who used this with Hodgons powder not sure on the ratio but it apparently flowed better and shot just fine, but i think with the modern Hodgons powder are fine and meter well.

Return to “Rifles and Ammo”