Opinions on C2R copper and carbon remover

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
Plowboy

Opinions on C2R copper and carbon remover

Post by Plowboy » 03 Aug 2017, 10:33

Hi all! Don't be shocked! 2 kids and one on the way plus a move away from the farm interstate has seen my shooting fall of a virtual cliff! However some light(hopefully IR light) is at the end of the tunnel!

I came across an article on an UK made copper and carbon remover called C2R. And it sounded really good. Non ammonia based is a big tick for me as I have been using them for a lot of years now( I use KG12 for copper and Mpro7 for carbon) and they are great. But KG12 is kind of hard to tell when all of the carbon is gone because it doesn't really have a colour change from copper.

They are also fairly hard to come by in Australia so I have been looking for alternatives. Getting this stuff in from the UK is not easy either but because it does both carbon and copper, it sounds a lot easier to get one product instead of two.

So! Has anyone used it on here and can anyone tell me which is better, C2R or KG12?

Cheers fellas!

AnthonyR

Re: Opinions on C2R copper and carbon remover

Post by AnthonyR » 03 Aug 2017, 11:25

It works really well but is a pain in the arse to use, so I gave up with it

I mainly use Boretech Eliminator on all my rifles, quick, straightforward and does copper and carbon plus it coats the barrel to stop corrosion during storage as well, highly recommended.

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy » 03 Aug 2017, 12:17

Thanks! What was it that made it a pain to use?

AnthonyR

Post by AnthonyR » 03 Aug 2017, 15:48

You have to patch it out with water which means you have to dry and coat the bore after as well, it also takes at least 30 mins to use.

Eliminator can be left in the bore as a protectorant and cleans really well in a lot less time.

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy » 04 Aug 2017, 04:25

Yeah ok thanks. Taking 30mins doesn't bother me as I am never in a hurry to do it. I have been using non ammonia based cleaners so I am not worried about using water based cleaners.

I want to do a comparison between it and the KG12/Mpro7 combo I have been using.

bryn

Post by bryn » 07 Sep 2017, 11:54

I did a before and after bore scope test with tetra copper remover and kg12
The kg12 won hands down. If you google kg12 test/comparison some chap tested several copper cleaners and kg12 was consistently the best. Not sure if your alternative was part of the test but I use both kg12 copper and carbon remover and think them very good.
Bryn