Winchester 42 grain Subsonic

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
2011 fawcett

Winchester 42 grain Subsonic

Post by 2011 fawcett » 17 Nov 2017, 09:13

Very pleased with these but seem to be getting a lot of 'definitely not subsonic' shots lately, five in a row last night, literally echoing off adjacent hillsides and woodland. The sixth shot went of with the usual 'phut' and the louder noise of the bullet strike. The outfit is a CZ455 Varmint with a Zak moderator topped off with a Ward 700 and T20. Anyone else experiencing the same with the 42 grain ammo?

Cottis

Re: Winchester 42 grain Subsonic

Post by Cottis » 17 Nov 2017, 21:48

I have heard plenty of people say they use and like Winchester subs but in all the .22lr's I have seen, they have been crap. Not only do they produce crackers like you mention but I have found those crackers especially fly high and when headshooting rabbits, that is enough to result in a miss or a winger. Even the rounds that are subsonic have not been accurate in my guns or my friends rifles. LIterally scattergun everywhere.

Obvs different rifles have their fave ammo. I have always stuck with RWS HP and Eley Subs. A good batch of Eley just wins but the RWS are more consistent between batches IMO, so I tend to use them. I also hate the Eley packets. Very annoying.

Lately I have been shooting a fair bit of RWS 50 under bench rest conditions at 100yards. It is impressive stuff and whilst costly, is way less than HMR ammo and extends effective rabbit range from 70yds to 100yds while still keeping noise to a minimum. Even with this quality match grade ammo, you still get the odd cracker. Rimfire ammo is just inherently inconsistent in its nature.

2011 fawcett

Post by 2011 fawcett » 18 Nov 2017, 09:57

Thank you for information. Quite honestly I bought the CZ some years ago and the rfd gave me a box of Winchester subs with the comment' you'll happy with those' and so I, and the CZ, have been. The 40 grain produced good groups and the 42 grain slightly better with no adjustments required. I was about half way through my first box of 500 of the 42 when the crackers, as you put it, started to happen usually with the first shot of the session.

blueeyes

Post by blueeyes » 18 Nov 2017, 15:47

I have a Brno mod 2 eh (CZ 452) and have always had good results using the 40g winnies, but my last visit for ammo got some 42g and was wondering if I would have to re zero have not tried them yet so cant say if any problems, but I head shoot all my reabbits fro 25-65 yds and always bang on with the 40g using my Extremed Photon XT :thumbup:

2011 fawcett

Post by 2011 fawcett » 22 Nov 2017, 10:12

My shooting companion uses a Brno with the Win 40's and has always been satisfied with them. I went out last night and everything was faultless with the Win 42's so I think it's a case of ' if it aint broke don't fix it'..........oh and stop watching Youtube.

Paddlers

Post by Paddlers » 28 Nov 2017, 20:16

I get though a fair few Winchester Subs each week and there's definitely something going badly wrong with the quality. I have a CZ 452 & Meopta with a Sak moderator and a CZ 455 with a photon and a Wildcat Panther mod. Both are 16" barrels and group very well but there's definitely been an increase in bullets going off with a real crack. They're stored in my cabinet as always so there's no variety at my end. Possibly 1 or 2 per 100 have done this where it would be in 500 previously. It's a genuinely loud crack too but apart from making me jump hasn't had any negative effect other than making the rabbits look up !!

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 06 Feb 2018, 14:03

I used to use Winchester Subs all the time until I found the superior accuracy of the Eley Subsonics.

I had a play with some Eley Match last night and these are a bit quicker and flatter than the Subsonics. They certainly get out there with some decent accuracy, but due to the temperature they were not quite subsonic last night giving a slight crack on firing.

It will be interesting to try them once the air temperature gets above 8ish degrees where they should be subsonic again. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 06 Feb 2018, 14:22

I also used 40 grain winni subs with great satisfaction and found they had better smack down performance than anything else I'd tried.

Although all shots weren't totally bang on target the large hole in the projectile allowed for more tolerance with regard to range estimation and produced a brilliant wound channel and a satisfying twhump as it connected.

Not being able to get them last time I tried some RWS hollow point subs: Big waste of time because although they were impressively more accurate, almost everything I shot with them ran. On carefull examination the hollow point hole is so small its pointless and doesnt allow the bullet to expand in my experience with rats and bunnies if the range was slightly miscalculated and I mised the kill zone.

I'm keen to try something else with bigger holes if anyone knows of a reliable contender. If not I might just dump the .22LR.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 06 Feb 2018, 16:54

Anyone tried Fiocchi .22LR ammo? Google images suggest the hole seems a decent size to allow good expansion.

Case290

Post by Case290 » 08 Feb 2018, 19:48

500 Winchester 42 that's what they had in stock . constantly out of a group of 5 there's 2 flyers no good for anybody that. Driving me mad. Yes big hole in bullet and good take down of bunnys but miss a lot due to Range estimationand and flyers be glad when they have all gone .