.22 WMR

Rimfire and centrefire forum. Show us your setup, talk about ammo, ask advice or simply tell us what you use.
Post Reply
gunnybedford
Posts: 62
Joined: 27 Jan 2018, 15:00
Location: Lympne Kent

.22 WMR

Post by gunnybedford » 24 Sep 2018, 16:48

So finally have my Mauser 201 .22 WMR in a condition that it can shoot/be used for hunting. I am trying to find the right ammo for it now, which is not necessarily an easy task as it's not that common.

It would appear Winchester is no use, for what ever reason seem to get soft strikes with it.

Tried Hornday V max, shoots OK, and in fact zeroed my new scope with it, however seem to get flyers (not my shooting !!) which might suggest these rounds are not the "perfect" match for the rifle.

I'm keen to try the Federal rounds, as well as Remington and CCI

Does anyone else use/did use a .22WMR ? what ammo was your best round ?

P.S. there's a new gun shop/smiths in Faversham Kent gunsmith https://www.kentgunsmiths.co.uk/ which seems to be promising, the owner reckons he can get hold of some of the stuff i want.

cheers
Neil

oaken8
Posts: 20
Joined: 25 May 2017, 17:04
Location: Wiltshire

Re: .22 WMR

Post by oaken8 » 27 Sep 2018, 13:34

I found Winchester superX to be the most accurate and they cycled well in my WMR Remmy 597.
They are also the cheapest 🤪
Don’t know why you would get soft strikes with them.
Have you serviced the bolt?
What does “In a condition that it can shoot” mean?


Sent from the dark side

User avatar
CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER
Posts: 1043
Joined: 21 Feb 2014, 12:39
Location: Medway UK
Contact:

Re: .22 WMR

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 01 Oct 2018, 20:10

gunnybedford wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:48
So finally have my Mauser 201 .22 WMR in a condition that it can shoot/be used for hunting. I am trying to find the right ammo for it now, which is not necessarily an easy task as it's not that common.

It would appear Winchester is no use, for what ever reason seem to get soft strikes with it.

Tried Hornday V max, shoots OK, and in fact zeroed my new scope with it, however seem to get flyers (not my shooting !!) which might suggest these rounds are not the "perfect" match for the rifle.

I'm keen to try the Federal rounds, as well as Remington and CCI

Does anyone else use/did use a .22WMR ? what ammo was your best round ?

P.S. there's a new gun shop/smiths in Faversham Kent gunsmith https://www.kentgunsmiths.co.uk/ which seems to be promising, the owner reckons he can get hold of some of the stuff i want.

cheers
Neil

Hello Neil,

I have recently sold my WMR and have a few different types hanging around, as your in kent you can have them for half price if your willing to collect ?

CRS

gunnybedford
Posts: 62
Joined: 27 Jan 2018, 15:00
Location: Lympne Kent

Re: .22 WMR

Post by gunnybedford » 02 Oct 2018, 20:40

Very kind offer, what types do you have ?
thanks

Neil

gunnybedford
Posts: 62
Joined: 27 Jan 2018, 15:00
Location: Lympne Kent

Re: .22 WMR

Post by gunnybedford » 02 Oct 2018, 20:41

oaken8 wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 13:34
I found Winchester superX to be the most accurate and they cycled well in my WMR Remmy 597.
They are also the cheapest 🤪
Don’t know why you would get soft strikes with them.
Have you serviced the bolt?
What does “In a condition that it can shoot” mean?


Sent from the dark side
When i pull the trigger it goes bang

User avatar
CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER
Posts: 1043
Joined: 21 Feb 2014, 12:39
Location: Medway UK
Contact:

Re: .22 WMR

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 02 Oct 2018, 22:00

gunnybedford wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 20:40
Very kind offer, what types do you have ?
thanks

Neil
hornady
Federal
winchester

oaken8
Posts: 20
Joined: 25 May 2017, 17:04
Location: Wiltshire

Re: .22 WMR

Post by oaken8 » 03 Oct 2018, 12:39

gunnybedford wrote:
oaken8 wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 13:34
I found Winchester superX to be the most accurate and they cycled well in my WMR Remmy 597.
They are also the cheapest 🤪
Don’t know why you would get soft strikes with them.
Have you serviced the bolt?
What does “In a condition that it can shoot” mean?


Sent from the dark side
When i pull the trigger it goes bang
Except, it doesn’t always go bang Image


Sent from the dark side

gunnybedford
Posts: 62
Joined: 27 Jan 2018, 15:00
Location: Lympne Kent

Re: .22 WMR

Post by gunnybedford » 03 Oct 2018, 22:25

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 22:00
gunnybedford wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 20:40
Very kind offer, what types do you have ?
thanks

Neil
hornady
Federal
winchester
Hi i will try the federal, and i assume the hornady is 30gr V max ? if so i will take that as well as that's what i am running at present, will give the winchester a miss thanks as that seems problematic. PM me what dates are best for you for me to come over and i will try and come across, let me know how much you want, thanks for the offer Neil

Post Reply