Pill Life

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
badsworth

Pill Life

Post by badsworth » 05 Apr 2018, 18:58

I have a Telary T67Magic Shine illuminator with the standard 850nm IR pill. I have had it for about two years, and not had the chance to use it for a few months due to work commitments.

I wanted to use it last night, and charged the two (Torchy) batteries in my Nitecore charger until they showed as fully charged. I put them in the unit but it was completely dead. I tried the batteries in a nearby torch and they were completely dead, despite the readings on the charger.

I tried the illuminator with two other tested batteries that I had available and the illuminator was still completely dead.

As far as I am aware I did not store the illuminator whilst it was switched on - but who knows!

My question for the forum is;

1. Do 'pills' have a working life, and can they fail?
2. Are they susceptible to being dropped? I don't remember doing so but wonder if this may be the cause.
3. If I did mistakenly store the unit 'switched on' could that have caused damage to the pill and the two batteries?

4. Can anyone think of any other reason why the illuminator may have failed.

5. Does anyone know if the pill in this particular unit is left or right-handed thread?

I am not particularly techy, and as far as I can see the pill is the only potentially sensitive part of the torch that could lead to failure.

Can anyone please advise me?

Badsworth

reindeer

Re: Pill Life

Post by reindeer » 09 Apr 2018, 11:08

Leaving an IR illuminator switched on in high mode while stored away is almost a guarantee for failure. I have had this happen with a few 4715AS pills. The heat generated by the LED is not dispersed properly, causing the driver to overheat and fry. The LED though is probably still in working order. You can check this by taking out the pill and soldering a wire between the - connection of the pill and the brass pill body. In this way you divert the driver and the LED gets full power from the battery. You might notice that the light and heat emission will be higher than before. You can now still use your illuminator, be it in just one (high) mode
No fence is too tall.......

badsworth

Post by badsworth » 09 Apr 2018, 16:58

Thank you so much - I don't remember leaving it on - but the 'on button' is so exposed that I could easily have hit it. I think in future it will be a case of 'batteries out' when the unit is put away.

It sounds like a new pill is in order - probably one of the higher spec ones advertised by some of the folks on here.

Badsworth

oaken8

Pill Life

Post by oaken8 » 11 Apr 2018, 07:15

Have a care for which pil you get as some need to run with a SINGLE battery. 2 in series doubles the voltage.
Also 18650 batteries can be bought with or without pcb which can prevent over charge/discharge and potentially extend the life of the battery.

badsworth

Post by badsworth » 13 Apr 2018, 14:43

How do I tell which is the -ve connection of the pill?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question!

Badsworth

andy66

Post by andy66 » 13 Apr 2018, 19:18

The spring or centre piece on the back of the pill (driver) is normally positive. What pill do you have and are you using a 1 or 2 battery torch?

badsworth

Post by badsworth » 14 Apr 2018, 10:05

I don't know which pill I have - it is not marked.

It is a two battery set up.

Does this help?

badsworth

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 14 Apr 2018, 10:57

You'll be lucky if anyone on here has such a thing, niether Google nor ebay produces a result on a quick search. Might be useful if you give some more information and photo's about the pill (ideally) or the torch.

Spare pills are unlikely to be readily avaialable for such a rare torch - and most recent torches and pills we use would be single cell one's - older ones were mostly two cell.

You might prefer to cut to the chase and buy something more mainstream and recent which will have spare pills widely available. A custom made pill for your would likely cost more than an up to date torch.

andy66

Post by andy66 » 15 Apr 2018, 18:33

badsworth wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 10:05
I don't know which pill I have - it is not marked.

It is a two battery set up.

Does this help?

badsworth
Sorry to put a downer on things but the 2 battery torches are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike for NV hunting.

What sort of NV setup are you using, giving as much detail as possible we can then assist you in getting the correct Ir torch for your needs?

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 16 Apr 2018, 09:15

- is black wire, + is red wire.
No fence is too tall.......