New Solaris laser

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
NigeB

Re: New Solaris laser

Postby NigeB » 09 May 2017, 11:41

Looks like your looking at the surface of a golf ball :wtf:

warbucks

Postby warbucks » 09 May 2017, 11:44

I personally welcome anyone bringing new night vision products to the market.
With item's like this, people have an informed choice as to weather to buy or not, sure care has to be taken, but this would probably be on the rifle not the spotter, just follow the same rules as the rifle, dont point it at owt living you dont intend to shoot at.

IMO digital add on' and dedicated are well catered for with the A S pilled torches, but for anyone out there using a tubed add on some thing like this or the dragonfly will give you top performance.

Iv'e just nicely sold my pvs14 pinnicle, for which i had for about 5 years, the best performing i/r i owned to use with this as an add on was the n1000 ap laser, this set up when maged up wasn't a 300 yd shooter, the "Wardy 700 is better, the Drone Pro p***es all over it, the n1000 doesn't last, the head get where it wont hold position, and the diode's dont last either, iv'e had two go on me, some of the other lasers out there are ridiculously expensive with S**te performance
IMO there is the need for a good laser out there, weather this one's it ?, but at least they have tried £120, milti powered, tried to clean the blemishes, good luck to the man i say.

Dave (warbucks)

weejohn

Postby weejohn » 09 May 2017, 13:13

Trevor has made a great quality product but compared to the dragonfly the beam is quite "dirty" and as others have said it sometimes looks like a golf ball.
At the moment I feel I haven't given it a good enough play with to judge it yet , but I really want to like it due to of all its plus points .

rabbitman1

Postby rabbitman1 » 09 May 2017, 14:36

As stated the idea is great and there are some definite improvements over the Dragonfly but the image its producing is quite frankly shite!
The Dragonfly still wins at the moment.

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 09 May 2017, 16:17

Do these high powered lasers also damage the eyes of such as horses / cattle etc? You see a few video's of folk illuminating the eyes of various animals with gay abandon, so, just how long (if at all) would you have to shine it directly into the eyes of a horse / sheep / cow to cause damage (and at what range)?
I can just see the farmer being over the moon with his prize bull as blind as a bat and crashing around off the fences etc. :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby sunndog » 09 May 2017, 16:21

Their youtube vid looks crap. LED clarity my arse
oslon black drivers
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Darren.R

Postby Darren.R » 21 May 2017, 07:47

rodp wrote:Do these high powered lasers also damage the eyes of such as horses / cattle etc? You see a few video's of folk illuminating the eyes of various animals with gay abandon, so, just how long (if at all) would you have to shine it directly into the eyes of a horse / sheep / cow to cause damage (and at what range)?
I can just see the farmer being over the moon with his prize bull as blind as a bat and crashing around off the fences etc. :lol:

That's what I've been thinking.

This type of powerful laser must present a hazard to all animals down range for a certain distance. I don't use a laser for my NV, but I do keep a couple of horses on a farm where the Foxing boys use them with their tubed kit.

Maybe one of our laser savvy members has a formula to calculate eye-safe distance based on the laser power and focal arrangements?

Darren.R

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 21 May 2017, 11:02

Hi Darren,

It is a big concern. The safe exposure has been researched and published for human beings and these lasers around 500-1000mW are a significant hazard even in normal careful use.

I'm not a veterinary expert but I would imagine any species with a larger night adapted pupil diameter than a human being would be at increased risk as they can capture more of the laser radiation on the cornea and retina.

Cheers

Clive

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 22 May 2017, 22:10

cliveward wrote:Hi Darren,

It is a big concern. The safe exposure has been researched and published for human beings and these lasers around 500-1000mW are a significant hazard even in normal careful use.

I'm not a veterinary expert but I would imagine any species with a larger night adapted pupil diameter than a human being would be at increased risk as they can capture more of the laser radiation on the cornea and retina.

Cheers

Clive

You are so right... And the greatest issue that it is not fool proof like led and mostly the guy who does not know a thing about illumination will buy it because he heard somewhere that it is the furthest throwing one and then he will check beam visibility/invisibility with eye method test shining to his own or other eyes or it will just peak a bit over a house or car window etc :)

That thing needs to be banned imho or you have to got special license for that (like for chainsaw for example).

Darren.R

Postby Darren.R » 23 May 2017, 11:52

lightmesser wrote:
cliveward wrote:Hi Darren,

Cheers

Clive

You are so right... And the greatest issue that it is not fool proof like led and mostly the guy who does not know a thing about illumination will buy it because he heard somewhere that it is the furthest throwing one and then he will check beam visibility/invisibility with eye method test shining to his own or other eyes or it will just peak a bit over a house or car window etc :)

That thing needs to be banned imho or you have to got special license for that (like for chainsaw for example).

I asked Julian at Starlight the following question...

"Given that high powered IR lasers (like the Dragonfly) present a hazard to animal's eyes (down range) for a certain distance; do you have a formula to calculate eye-safe distance based on laser power and focal arrangements?"

Julian kindly provided the following answer (for his product)...

"Hi,
They are supplied with diffusers to make them class 0. With a defocused beam that’s not collimated they become eyesafe very quickly."

Atb,
Darren.
Last edited by Darren.R on 23 May 2017, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Illumination”