How much IR can foxes see ?

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
Trackerman

Re: How much IR can foxes see ?

Post by Trackerman » 28 Nov 2017, 16:59

rodp wrote:Personally, I'm convinced a fox can tell the difference between an electronic call and a natural distress call. He probably doesn't realise it's artificial but does know "it's not right", after a couple of near misses or his mates going missing in action he then equates this with danger.
Thought this for a long time, after all, their hearing is far more sesetive than ours.

I suspect this is correct, my caller has several sounds (GC350) which I can use on different nights.
I'm going out with a 'mirror and polystyrene' caller this week so I'll see how that draws them in, I suspect the better manual control of the mirror caller will allow me to 'teese' the fox in closer... the electronic caller works but it's not very dynamic, especially when charlie is close.

Cheers
Tracker

Clunge

Post by Clunge » 28 Nov 2017, 19:54

Trackerman wrote:
Could it just be that the pills emit a mix of 850 and lower frequency also, and the fox is seeing these ?
No.

If that were so, then putting a low cut 850nm filter (that cuts the wavelengths less than 850nm) would render the illuminator invisible, or virtually invisible, to us as well.

But it doesn't. It makes very little difference.

But the same filter DOES render a red torch invisible, thus demonstrating that the filters do do what they say they do.

You (and Charlie and Peter rabbit) can see IR illuminators because they are very very bright (see Clive Ward's post).

For this reason, Some Bloke's advice - use minimal IR, and don't flash it about like a beacon or lighthouse - is well founded.

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 29 Nov 2017, 20:33

deleted my earlier post, was intended for another thread!

yes perhaps the foxes I spook are getting spooked by other factors like sound of even spotting me, the permission I have is saturated with city light pollution from about 1 mile away, the fields are never really dark.. so charlie may see me standing with the tripod.

I will have to develop an even stealthier mode of operation in that case!

I'll give it a go this weekend.

Cheers lads

Davesniper

Post by Davesniper » 30 Nov 2017, 22:30

A lot of my foxing when I am on my own is sitting and waiting I have a small foldable chair strapped to my back pack with a tripod and pig saddle so I am hands free with my thermal...so I spot them before they spot me,I ither let them come in to range or call them if they come tanking in I simply spin the rifle in there direction and only then turn the IR on when it is in range and eight times out of ten they will stop.
If I decide to not call and let it work it self into range then hit the IR it is totally unaware of my IR as it is not looking in my direction there is no noise from me and no movement of flashing around.

Dave.

Davesniper

Post by Davesniper » 02 Dec 2017, 13:04

Just had to add some more info just waching a TV program Called (operation snow Tiger) filmed in Russia Syberia they are trying to film the very difficult Tiger..they had 30 trail cams on the go and one of them caught some footage at night ...It was clear by the Tigers behavior that it could see the IR when it was triggerd they also had some daytime footage where it just went about is buissness..animals cam see IR no problem.

oaken8

Post by oaken8 » 03 Dec 2017, 01:15

Interesting thread. I have found the use of a t67 with 850 pil set to a tight beam does spook the foxes around here. I find that, rather than turn the power down, if I widen the beam it doesn't bother them so much.
I did a little test last weekend. I walked to about 150yds from my buddy and got him to shine his ir spotter at me. As I expected the tight beam "flashed" whereas the broad beam just glows with a much more gradual transition as it passes.
I will be using full power wide spread whenever possible now.

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 03 Dec 2017, 11:03

oaken8 wrote:Interesting thread. I have found the use of a t67 with 850 pil set to a tight beam does spook the foxes around here. I find that, rather than turn the power down, if I widen the beam it doesn't bother them so much.
I did a little test last weekend. I walked to about 150yds from my buddy and got him to shine his ir spotter at me. As I expected the tight beam "flashed" whereas the broad beam just glows with a much more gradual transition as it passes.
I will be using full power wide spread whenever possible now.

That's an interesting observation, I hadn't considered the flashing effect of the tight beam vs wide beam, but it makes sense.
I have the T20 and it needs to be on tight beam to be effective at my permission due to heavy light pollution.
The T67 is on order so will try using the wide beam with that.

Cheers

oaken8

Post by oaken8 » 04 Dec 2017, 13:41

I don't think you will gain much over the t20 if you use the 67 set wide. I may be wrong but the tighter beam is what the larger lenses are for, they don't produce more light, just focus it better.

Davesniper

Post by Davesniper » 10 Dec 2017, 18:56

What I have noticed if you tighten the beam up that is why you get a big glow from the torch...if you open it up to max you see more of the square pill and no big glow so there for the bigger lense would work better than a smaller lense for distance on open beam..in theroy.

Dave.

bouncer

Post by bouncer » 11 Dec 2017, 19:40

i have had loads of foxes either look up and trot off or they look up and run when I turn the ir on.there is no doubt in my mind that they see ir.