How much IR can foxes see ?

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
Davesniper

Re: How much IR can foxes see ?

Post by Davesniper » 12 Dec 2017, 00:18

I also belive rabbits and rats can see it as well on heavy infestations first visits as you know are always the best then it tapers off as I would expect anyway... but they are more twichy or run off on later visits...viewing through thermal spotter they are natural behavior and going about the buissnes.

This is the only time I think about thermal scopes..lol

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 12 Dec 2017, 18:07

Thermal and tubed (without ir aid) are passive which is why the military use them.
Digital with massive ir is active.
Ir can't be seen, but at massive intensity can be felt at closer ranges. Might not see the light but feel the power on the retinas, but won't understand why. However, shot over regularly and all their mates disappearing then they might get educated over a "feeling". Lasers are even harsher on the retinas. Don't hold the beam directly on the eyes for too long, just for taking the shot (and don't take all night about it).

Then we have the ir jewel effect from the torch itself. Red/brown/something flashing about in the middle of no where. Add gun truck noises and the odd humanoid smell, then it all adds up to something odd, especially when overly shot. In the old white light lamping days we gave it two weeks between visits. The attitude now is twice a week with NV; thats heavy patrolling.

Play the game, switch approaches as and when necessary. NV is not an excuse to be lazy, fieldcraft does matter. Use the minimum ir you can get away with and the least focused down within reason. Keep that jewel static whenever possible, and not flashed about like some dervish.

In ambush with the wind in the right direction, all nice and quiet, then I've watched the world go about its business with the area flooded in ir. The critters are looking out for danger, anything new; just don't give them a reason to think something is up. They are not stupid, give them some respect.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 12 Dec 2017, 18:13

Muskett wrote:Thermal and tubed (without ir aid) are passive which is why the military use them.
Ir can't be seen, but at massive intensity can be felt at closer ranges. Might not see the light but feel the power on the retinas, but won't understand why. However, shot over regularly and all their mates disappearing then they might get educated over a "feeling". Lasers are even harsher on the retinas. Don't hold the beam directly on the eyes for too long, just for taking the shot (and don't take all night about it).

Then we have the ir jewel effect from the torch itself. Red/brown/something flashing about in the middle of no where. Add gun truck noises and the odd humanoid smell, then it all adds up to something odd, especially when overly shot. In the old white light lamping days we gave it two weeks between visits. The attitude now is twice a week with NV; thats heavy patrolling.

Play the game, switch approaches as and when necessary. NV is not an excuse to be lazy, fieldcraft does matter. Use the minimum ir you can get away with and the least focused down within reason. Keep that jewel static whenever possible, and not flashed about like some dervish.

In ambush with the wind in the right direction, all nice and quiet, then I've watched the world go about its business with the area flooded in ir. The critters are looking out for danger, anything new; just don't give them a reason to think something is up. They are not stupid, give them some respect.

Probably one of the best posts i'v read on this subject.....100% agree with every word mate, spot on
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

blueeyes

Post by blueeyes » 13 Dec 2017, 15:13

sunndog wrote:
Muskett wrote:Thermal and tubed (without ir aid) are passive which is why the military use them.

Probably one of the best posts i'v read on this subject.....100% agree with every word mate, spot on
+2 spot on bud :thumbup:

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 13 Dec 2017, 18:30

Cheers! That really sums it up well.

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 14 Dec 2017, 12:22

blueeyes wrote:
sunndog wrote:

+2 spot on bud :thumbup:
yup...

addin, entering a bend at 70mph and powering out whilste stepping the back end i thought ''oooo they got got a new camera uo''....the red glow.

when you know what your looking for...ooooo there it is instantly.
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 14 Dec 2017, 12:36

:D But its not the old days of white light lamping. Some nights its was like the Blitz down here with a flashing search light beams in every field. Like some Jedi convention :wtf:

Digi is just another tool in the armoury. Get it right, put the effort in, and it will fill the bag as high as you like.

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 14 Dec 2017, 15:27

Muskett wrote::D But its not the old days of white light lamping. Some nights its was like the Blitz down here with a flashing search light beams in every field. Like some Jedi convention :wtf:

Digi is just another tool in the armoury. Get it right, put the effort in, and it will fill the bag as high as you like.

i'll do my usual walt story here lol...

startts on a twat lamp, (i had one that actual;y lit over a mile away!!) so twat lamps everywhere, wooooo look at all them rabbits..rats what ever.

less than a week later..wooooooo look at all them white tails bobbing as they leg it

2 weeks into the twat lamp faize....one budooosh and everything disapearings for miles around...''ohh theres no rabbits left....''

out comes the twat lamp in reb blue green pink..yes pinks lagit... etc etc ..might get 2 maybe 3 nights scanterly clad shooting in.

dudahhhhhhh the dimmerswitch makes its apearence!!! oooo space tecno wow...dim the light, yeah a week tops.
then dimmed colours..purple really weird lol..even when dimmed..itssss-weird lol.

heres a bit most miss out, lighting at source, like leaving little diodes switched on literaly at sourse, yu can see them from 'miles away'..to coin the fraize.

but...pink! tiny little noise on a switch tiney widdawl lights go on..everything legs it!

do you see the pattern? bright lights from gremlins to piddly farty diodes...ddimmer, hmmmmm dimmers.,.ohhh yes dimmmmerrrsd..... :thumbup:

then we gets some night vision, switch it on and blow me if theres not a feild of critters...yeh starts with the twat lamp in IR then dwindles down then its light at sourse with tiny diodes etcetc, just the same as a lamp..in a word..diiiimmmmerrrrs hmmmmmmm oh yes dimmers.

not had the pleasure of gen2 or 3 with no lighting at all...eather way its all the same, when they suss you need a new trick up sleeve.

usualy a new dimable trick lol. :thumbup: :thumbup:
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 14 Dec 2017, 15:36

Go thermal thats passive. Just costs £4k.

I still do white light lamping if the ground is hard enough to take the vehicle. Good fun, still works.

Mix it up.

Rats I have a massive flood that can be left on. Rats don't care about it at all. Its the noise the rifle makes if shot over too often.

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 14 Dec 2017, 17:02

snoopy wrote:
Muskett wrote::D But its not the old days of white light lamping. Some nights its was like the Blitz down here with a flashing search light beams in every field. Like some Jedi convention :wtf:

i'll do my usual walt story here lol...

startts on a twat lamp, (i had one that actual;y lit over a mile away!!) so twat lamps everywhere, wooooo look at all them rabbits..rats what ever.

less than a week later..wooooooo look at all them white tails bobbing as they leg it

2 weeks into the twat lamp faize....one budooosh and everything disapearings for miles around...''ohh theres no rabbits left....''

out comes the twat lamp in reb blue green pink..yes pinks lagit... etc etc ..might get 2 maybe 3 nights scanterly clad shooting in.

dudahhhhhhh the dimmerswitch makes its apearence!!! oooo space tecno wow...dim the light, yeah a week tops.
then dimmed colours..purple really weird lol..even when dimmed..itssss-weird lol.

heres a bit most miss out, lighting at source, like leaving little diodes switched on literaly at sourse, yu can see them from 'miles away'..to coin the fraize.

but...pink! tiny little noise on a switch tiney widdawl lights go on..everything legs it!

do you see the pattern? bright lights from gremlins to piddly farty diodes...ddimmer, hmmmmm dimmers.,.ohhh yes dimmmmerrrsd..... :thumbup:

then we gets some night vision, switch it on and blow me if theres not a feild of critters...yeh starts with the twat lamp in IR then dwindles down then its light at sourse with tiny diodes etcetc, just the same as a lamp..in a word..diiiimmmmerrrrs hmmmmmmm oh yes dimmers.

not had the pleasure of gen2 or 3 with no lighting at all...eather way its all the same, when they suss you need a new trick up sleeve.

usualy a new dimable trick lol. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hmm, pink lights and scantily clad shooting :roll: Not really in to that scene but everyone to their own :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"