Black sun ruby

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
rjudd

Black sun ruby

Post by rjudd » 01 Dec 2017, 19:30

Purchased one of these pills to try in a pbir sunranger. The sunranger I Have already had the xlr pill in it which works very very well with my ward 800. Just tried the ruby pill in it and believe me it makes a difference.
Clarity is the same as the xlr pill. What I was looking at was a daytime ranged 220 yds and was able to mag up to x20 with the ruby pill where as x14 was the limit with the xlr.
I havent tested how far I can see with it just wanted to see how bright/clear it was at a small target at sensible shooting range. What I was looking at was a small security light on a wall.
Anybody with this type of illuminator a ruby pill will definitely improve it.
Cheers
Ben

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Black sun ruby

Post by phoenix » 01 Dec 2017, 20:11

The extra range comes from the fact that the E700 camera in the Ward 800 is more sensitive to the shorter wavelength of the light from the LED in the Blacksun Ruby than from the longer wavelength (850nm) LED in the xlr pill.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

AnthonyR

Post by AnthonyR » 01 Dec 2017, 20:11

I have a 50mm BS Ruby and it has about the same viewing distance as my T67 BS2 in a smaller lighter package but it is a LOT more visible, shot a fox with it last night and it didn't even notice but the verdict for me is still out as too weather it is too visible or not.

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 01 Dec 2017, 20:37

Black Sun Ruby?

Is this new led or modified 4715AS?

Chrissmith0881

Post by Chrissmith0881 » 01 Dec 2017, 21:18

Good to know mate as I'm interested in trying one! :thumbup:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 01 Dec 2017, 22:56

lightmesser wrote:Black Sun Ruby?

Is this new led or modified 4715AS?
It's a new LED with a shorter wavelength then the 4715AS.

Cheers

Bruce

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 01 Dec 2017, 23:11

How much NM is it? If red tail is visible probably 780-800?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 02 Dec 2017, 09:20

lightmesser wrote:Thanks :thumbup:
Clive's not saying!!!

Cheers

Bruce

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 02 Dec 2017, 18:30

phoenix wrote:
lightmesser wrote:Thanks :thumbup:
Clive's not saying!!!

Cheers

Bruce
I agree,
If he found something new he has every right to keep that info for himself... It is up to us to crack it :lol: and I am pretty sure I know method but I am not sure if I really want to go below 850. I already have plenty of "friends" complaining on red dot signature from 4715AS, and my head is popping out explaining what is NM wavelength emitter difference, and what it means or how it effect to certain night vision...

In other words this Ruby is great for high magnification addon setup. Black Sun for everything else ;)

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 02 Dec 2017, 19:28

Hi All,

Sorry to be all 'secret squirrel' on the Ruby, but we already have the situation where people are making similar products to us that really aren't as good but they are being passed off as being the same or better than ours, just because they use the same LED for instance and customers can be mislead which isn't right. We already use top bin LEDs which have a 25% advantage over the standard bins that others will be using and that's without any of our engineered improvements in the pill itself. So claimed similar products will be very different in performance. :shh:

We are always developing new products and ideas. A lot end up as dead ends but with the Ruby it really stood out as something very useful, especially for add on systems.

The idea of the Ruby is to make it senseless for someone to buy a dangerous, expensive, over powered IR laser illuminator when they can just buy a Ruby which is safe and gives similar performance and a perfectly clean image. :thumbup:

Black Sun 1 for dedicated tubed
Black Sun 2 for dedicated digital / tubed add on
Black Sun Ruby for digital add on

Those aren't hard and fast rules. You can also use the Ruby to go down a size or two in lenses for similar performance but with a much lighter, smaller IR unit. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive