Black sun ruby

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
Muskett

Re: Black sun ruby

Post by Muskett » 06 Dec 2017, 19:05

I'll leave Clive to answer that one.

I'll be testing the Ruby in my NM800 as one good reason for the Ruby is to get torch bulk down. The XSearcher is big, a NM800 a whole lot less.
Bar for fox, max out range, then for everything else why carry about a brick?

I had the XSearcher before, from when I was last flush, when a few years back it was the best. I certainly wouldn't go out and buy a new one to put a Ruby in.
Well thats my take.

Seen the Ruby upgrade price (yes I did buy mine). Not cheap but those buying from scratch then go for it. Those NV enthusiasts, then, yup, you are gonna have to. Others then only if you really feel the need if your kit works fine. I think the Ruby is as big a jump as were the BlackSun was from the old ir LED's... maybe, maybe more????

I'm please I have one. I've only had mine out for 5 minutes so.....

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 06 Dec 2017, 20:48

I think where the Sunranger still gains (whether its Ruby or BS) is that is quick and easy with a gloved hand on the rubbery lens to start on flood for close range when charlie comes bombing in to the call, or out to long range with the spot when he decides to be cautious.

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 06 Dec 2017, 20:54

Just popped out again, its howling windy.

Could identify a badger at 450m plus. Could see my far Oak which is a good 550m. The House and outbuilding at 700m on x8. Thats on x8 which for scanning is ample, only lost ir when wound up to x16 at these outer reaches.
If I got my Cross Hair a little better then a 300m shot might be on. Good enough to smack a rabbit if your rifle was spot on. But I doubt I would as I don't chance, and prefer guaranteed. (Well I hope).

Anyhow this is equivalent to the best from my old DP; with more mag. The DP does have other attributes that no Add On can compete with. Importantly I think it puts the WDV firmly as a respectable Fox system. Yes, I know many have always thought that, but now its even more true.

Had a look at the "jewel" and its similar but different, slightly less sparkle?? No better or worse. All have it, so work around it.

So I'm a happy bunny, though many a bunny, fox or rat won't be.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 06 Dec 2017, 20:59

"I'm a happy bunny"

Odd turn of phrase to use on this forum :lol:
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Chrissmith0881

Post by Chrissmith0881 » 06 Dec 2017, 21:04

Is the image usable to shoot at 16x mate?

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 06 Dec 2017, 21:06

sunndog wrote:"I'm a happy bunny"

Probably he is very happy like your Australian friends :)

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 06 Dec 2017, 22:49

Read my earlier post for what I consider shootable range.
At x16 the gate range is doable to rabbit central hit.
Anything at 200m or under then head shot rabbit. Same as a DP. The atmospherics are limiting factor.

300m is a long way in daylight. At night I generally stalk in and make it sure; if I wanted to lob things I'd use a mortar.

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 06 Dec 2017, 23:10

lightmesser wrote:
sunndog wrote:"I'm a happy bunny"

Probably he is very happy like your Australian friends :)

Very 'festive' :?
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 07 Dec 2017, 00:20

Took the dog out for his midnight walk.
Took my Mamba Lite 4-16x44 hand held as it doesn't have a rifle at present. Hand held isn't easy and it wasn't cross hair perfect either.
The 44 objective and 1" tube was struggling to grab enough ir into the unit as it needs the torch beam well centred, which made everything more difficult. It wouldn't do x16 power to the 280m gate. The close stuff a bit blown away as the XSearcher was hard focused tight.
It could see as far but just wasn't the clarity of the far bigger Sidewinder, and certainly couldn't do max magnification at the furthest ranges.
For a two minute test then for a Mamba Lite of this ilk a BlackSun is plenty as this scope scale has its limitations. Keep the range sensible and they are plenty good. Plenty good for rat and rabbit.

Caveat, the moon was brighter than earlier. Digi is best, cleaner image, with less moonlight unlike Tubed kit that loves it.

So that was my first impressions. With NV everyone makes their own combinations and sets their kit up differently, so no wonder there are so many opinions.
The Ruby is a positive in my book for our growing armoury of options. Worth it for you? Well you will have to try one and then let us know how well it worked for you.
Christmas Stocking filler ready for the Easter Bunny?

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 07 Dec 2017, 13:44

I do mean to do the testing again once I get a darker and less windy night. Switch around torch lenses and try side by side. What best torch beam focus too, as I tend to leave them alone once set and let the sensor do the work. Like to get a DP to see what he ruby does there.

Just before I called it a night I had a play with the eye piece screen focus on my WDV again. Best done in the dark with the ir used. Got the best picture and cross hair yet.

Last thought, the new 800 body and rubber eye piece do feel a higher quality over the old 700. Clive's work in upgrading sure is paying off. The WDV definitely is getting better and better.