Black Sun Ruby Test

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
verminator 66

Re: Black Sun Ruby Test

Post by verminator 66 » 12 Jan 2018, 12:03

looks like its worth upgrading to the ruby then

mark-taffy

Post by mark-taffy » 16 Jan 2018, 20:41

Having got 2x dragonflys 1xpbir xlr . 1x solaris laser and now a ruby im happy to say its bloody good very clear and powerfull . Thank you clive

weejohn

Post by weejohn » 16 Jan 2018, 20:59

mark-taffy wrote:Having got 2x dragonflys 1xpbir xlr . 1x solaris laser and now a ruby im happy to say its bloody good very clear and powerfull . Thank you clive
What's the verdict on which one is the most powerful/cleanest ?

mark-taffy

Post by mark-taffy » 16 Jan 2018, 21:04

Deffo cleanest . And so close to the drangonfly is hardly worth mentioning john tbh . Give it a proper going over sat as it started raining .

mrcunnie

Post by mrcunnie » 16 Jan 2018, 23:09

Received my black sun ruby off clive a couple of weeks ago now but i only had the chance to try it out on saturday night. I use a archer with one of clive's laser's, N1000 which i've used for a few years now, all i can say is that it beats the laser hands down for clarity and a bit more range, BUT the first fox i called in ran a mile as soon as the beam hit it. I managed to call in a second fox which snook in from behind me ,, by the time i seen it , it was running away from me i managed to stop it just in time before it made cover and shot it, so only had the beam on it for a second. I'll give it a few more go's before i make my mind up.

mrcunnie

Post by mrcunnie » 27 Jan 2018, 16:53

Shot three more foxe's since the last one ran for the hills and all stood there long enough for me to take a shot. Hopefully the first one was just a one off as i really like this little ruby.

hairlesshunter

Post by hairlesshunter » 27 Jan 2018, 18:32

Good to hear ordered mine 10 days ago hopefully it will arrive befor the black ruby 2 comes out :lol:
Ruby ir now arrived and I have to say it was worth the waiting for now getting a brighter and cleaner view hope the foxes like it as much as I do

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 07 Feb 2018, 16:50

Foxes are all pretty educated by now, why they probably survived this long. So it doesn't take much to get them to scarper.
Had a Ruby on a fox, wrong rifle, the other night for a good while; it didn't notice or react at all.

IR is active, so I think some animals get a "feeling" rather than actually seeing anything. Its survival. A fed flashing jewel in the wrong place, out in no where land, can't be that clever. NV still requires fieldcraft.

Thermal is passive. I would be interested in reports of foxes scarpering because they have picked up on "something". We all get a bit lax fieldcraft wise with NV at times.

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 07 Feb 2018, 17:05

Muskett wrote:Foxes are all pretty educated by now, why they probably survived this long. So it doesn't take much to get them to scarper.
Had a Ruby on a fox, wrong rifle, the other night for a good while; it didn't notice or react at all.

IR is active, so I think some animals get a "feeling" rather than actually seeing anything. Its survival. A fed flashing jewel in the wrong place, out in no where land, can't be that clever. NV still requires fieldcraft.

Thermal is passive. I would be interested in reports of foxes scarpering because they have picked up on "something". We all get a bit lax fieldcraft wise with NV at times.

Yeah, it’s usually sound or scent that alerts them with thermal but sometimes I’ve had to shout at them quite loudly to get them to stop :lol: ... in a world of their own.

I ‘just’ missed one the other week and it didn’t scarper at a rate of knots but went back the way it came across the field but didn’t pause for a second shot.

An hour later, foxy appears from behind the other side of the seat and I had to shout 4 times to get it to stop at 40m..( they look quite offended sometimes)...and lo and behold there was a crease mark in its fur along its neck and across its rump where my first bullet went. :eh:

But I have seen them when they just seem to have a sixth sense that something ain’t quite right.

Cheers

Fizz
8-)
Image Image

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting....but, heck.....I just like posting. :crazy: :lol:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 07 Feb 2018, 18:31

One issue when shooting foxes with a thermal scope is that, because they don't know you're there, their movements can be very erratic, and unless you want to shoot at a moving target, it can be quite difficult to actually get a shot for the short times they often stop for. A shout usually stops them for long enough, but you'd better be ready to pull the trigger or the chance will be gone.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR