Which to go For?

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
Hoggy57

Which to go For?

Postby Hoggy57 » 30 Dec 2017, 22:21

I've a couple of DIY home built NV kits, neither built by me. Both came with IR torches, one a T38 type and the other a T20 type. The T38 torches is giving me problems. I'm thinking of getting a T20 IR torch to replace the T38. Presently the T38 I've got uses two 18650 batteries and has a three mode switch at the rear which gives three levels of intensity light wise. I'm thinking of getting a single battery T20 IR with the three mode function at the rear as the T38 it will replace. I've not the slightest of idea if what Icurrently own are 850nm or 940nm versions. All I know is I do a lot of ratting and rabbiting, minimum range, 8 yards to a maximum range of 60 yards. I've previously noticed on occasions I've had problems with the IR intensity being to great. Things seem to improve when I set the IR intensity to its low setting. The IR on my other rifle has a variable rotary knob and it illuminates from nothing to its max, so the fine. I'd be grateful if someone in the know could advise me whats the best kind of IR illuminator I should be looking at bearing in mind its for ratting and rabbiting at the previous said distances .. (850nm or 940nm) .. I don't want to spook the rats especially!
Any advice much appreciated indeed ... cheers

Midnight.Sun

Re: Which to go For?

Postby Midnight.Sun » 30 Dec 2017, 23:12

It seems like the NM Venom Strike in 940nm suits your needs, as it has that infinite rotary brightness control rear switch. But it ain't so cheap, £89

https://www.nightmaster.co.uk/products/ ... ss-control

Or the NM400 if you prefer even smaller front lens.

But consider reading what a member in here posted as a short review about that rotary switch, I remember him saying that he didn't find it to be such a magic. You can use the forum search engine for "rotary switch" or something like that, if you are interested.

Also there's one other post I remember read some mouths ago about the cheaper Chinese brands (probably UniqueFire) going to introduce some form of rotary switches, but I don't know what happened later, as I got distracted for a little while.

Hoggy57

Postby Hoggy57 » 31 Dec 2017, 01:10

That's interesting .. I will have a look around and see what likely to be suitable. Something light in weight and with the function of turning down the illumination .. atb Peter

Midnight.Sun

Postby Midnight.Sun » 31 Dec 2017, 01:17

Strange! I didn't notice it at first, but there seem to be something wrong with their website! It's showing two prices for the same item (Venom Strike 940nm)

£89.13 and £106.96

I deleted the cookies and reopened the page but it remains the same, and it seems the price they're charging is £106.96

So they're going to see this screenshot in their email tomorrow.

blueroll

Postby blueroll » 31 Dec 2017, 07:37

Hoggy57 wrote:That's interesting .. I will have a look around and see what likely to be suitable. Something light in weight and with the function of turning down the illumination .. atb Peter

I use the XLRM illuminator that came with my Dronepro for ratting with Air rifle and MTC Mamba Lite/Ward 700 combo. 4 power settings and an almost silent rotary tail switch. Put out a "wanted" for one.

Hoggy57

Postby Hoggy57 » 31 Dec 2017, 11:10

I'm looking for something similar to what I've been using, though only to take a single 18650 battery. An illuminator that isn't too costly. It's that time of the year when we all suffer with empty pocket syndrome. I've seen something on aliexpress, but though it looks like its what I'm after I'm not sure if it is. I'm just not up on these things. All I've ever done with IR torches is switch them on when I'm shooting and switching them off when I've finished, Oh and charging the battery. Something lightweight. I use a HW100 and a Compatto Target for NV shooting and as I'm sure you're aware they can be a lump carting them around a farm field after field. For ratting I just setup statically and shoot off a small picnic table so weight isn't a problem. but rabbiting it can be a trudge. Someone suggested if I'm prepared to wait there might be something suitable on aliexpress? ... I'm just not sure what I'm looking at. It has the 850nm and 940nm then it has 3 watts, I'm just not up on it al ... just want something like a T20 that I've got, that's got a three mode setting or has some function that varies the power output from low to its maximum, that only takes one 18650 battery (to save on weight) and isn't to expensive .. atb Peter

Tikka.243

Postby Tikka.243 » 31 Dec 2017, 11:52

Have a look on the Nightvision Store (Link at top of page) the Black Sun B20 IR illuminator should do all that you require if you want more power go for the B22.

whitehackle

Postby whitehackle » 31 Dec 2017, 12:14

I use a evo t50 form the torch factory, with the dimmer switch on the back. After having the dimmer switch i wouldn't want to go back. And now clive ward can make his ir pills for them. I use a black sun ruby in mine, you wont need the range, but its nice to have the option.

jrn

Postby jrn » 31 Dec 2017, 13:15

Hoggy57 wrote:I've a couple of DIY home built NV kits, neither built by me. Both came with IR torches, one a T38 type and the other a T20 type. The T38 torches is giving me problems. I'm thinking of getting a T20 IR torch to replace the T38. Presently the T38 I've got uses two 18650 batteries and has a three mode switch at the rear which gives three levels of intensity light wise. I'm thinking of getting a single battery T20 IR with the three mode function at the rear as the T38 it will replace. I've not the slightest of idea if what Icurrently own are 850nm or 940nm versions. All I know is I do a lot of ratting and rabbiting, minimum range, 8 yards to a maximum range of 60 yards. I've previously noticed on occasions I've had problems with the IR intensity being to great. Things seem to improve when I set the IR intensity to its low setting. The IR on my other rifle has a variable rotary knob and it illuminates from nothing to its max, so the fine. I'd be grateful if someone in the know could advise me whats the best kind of IR illuminator I should be looking at bearing in mind its for ratting and rabbiting at the previous said distances .. (850nm or 940nm) .. I don't want to spook the rats especially!
Any advice much appreciated indeed ... cheers

If you don't want to spook the rats you wont do better than the Night Master Venom Strike with 940 in it with the rotary brightness control. I have one excellent bit of kit but not cheap at £106 . 96 but for close range ratting with air rifles I have nothing to touch it out of the four IR torches I own . :thumbup:

Tikka.243

Postby Tikka.243 » 31 Dec 2017, 16:13

Return to “Illumination”