Light spill from led

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
mark-taffy

Light spill from led

Postby mark-taffy » 27 Jan 2018, 13:48

Hi all
Would anybody have any ideas on reducing light spill from led illuminators? I have a mod cover
Thanks mark

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Light spill from led

Postby some bloke » 27 Jan 2018, 14:02

A scope sun shield or torch shroud can block any part of the torch lens from 'seeing' the rear of your sound mod.

A Kitchen roll or toilet roll tube could let you know if it works for you before exploring options for a more permanent solution. If you have a visible light pill for the torch that will help you see if the fix did the trick before using the NV again.

mark-taffy

Postby mark-taffy » 27 Jan 2018, 21:48

Ok thanks for the tips. I have a stainless barrel would a neoprene barrel cover make a differance ? Worth a try i guess.

weejohn

Postby weejohn » 27 Jan 2018, 22:18

What NV are you shooting with ?

mark-taffy

Postby mark-taffy » 28 Jan 2018, 09:13

Longbow john.ill see if starlight have a sunshade.

weejohn

Postby weejohn » 28 Jan 2018, 09:51

I couldn't use any LED IR with my longbow , the light spill was horrendous .
Something I never tried was using high mounts on the longbow to bring it above the height of the moderator. I now use an ATN mars and that was the same untill i tried the new coyotelite which actually works really well on its tightest beam . I only really got the coyotelite to try because it has an awesome rotary tail switch as I hate all the click/half push tail switches.
If you didn't want to try different mounts the sunshade on the scope and IR and mounting the IR as far back on the longbow as you can may help .

mark-taffy

Postby mark-taffy » 28 Jan 2018, 11:38

Thank you john i will try a few of those and let u.know how i get on

warbucks

Postby warbucks » 30 Jan 2018, 20:38

Hi Mark.
When i had my pvs 14 pinni, i could only mag up to about 6 then the picture started to "blow out" presumably light spill, it worked very well on high mag with tight beamed lasers like the n1000.

If you have a Longbow i would suggest you try a Dragonfly laser, i have looked through this combination and its one of the best n/v ive looked through.
If you have the money in the Longbow, then spend another £200 to get the best out of it -------a good example of dragonfly still beats ALL these's new led torches for distance with none of the light spill problems --------tubed just works better with lasers on higher magnification.

Dave (warbucks)

mark-taffy

Postby mark-taffy » 31 Jan 2018, 19:44

Thank you warbuck. I have a dragonfly yes its good and do use it if moisture is in the air. I do like the cleaner image LED produces when holding away from scope.
Mark

PeteL

Postby PeteL » 01 Feb 2018, 13:31

I solved the problem of the LED lighting up the back of the moderator by mounting it underneath the fore end with an adaptor on the front sling swivel. A short sunshade helps concentrate the beam.
Looks a bit odd, I admit, and precludes the use of a bipod although that's of no consequence because I shoot off sticks.
Mark, as you are in Swansea, shoot me a PM if you need further detail.
Peter

Return to “Illumination”