Which head torch to buy

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
lanerboy

Which head torch to buy

Post by lanerboy » 24 Mar 2018, 16:51

I am after a nice head torch can anyone recommend one just needs to be able to cope with short distance for dressing rabbits etc while in the field

Don't want to spend a fortune not bothered about being able to see for long distance but won't something that will not be flat after 30 minutes use

Cheers

andy66

Re: Which head torch to buy

Post by andy66 » 24 Mar 2018, 18:10

Petzl e lite, Ideal little head torch that seems to run forever. Had mine for over 10 years and is perfect for close range messing about. Even has a red light for when your reloading and don't want to stand out or spook things. I see they have a new and improved version now the elite 2.

Brooksy

Post by Brooksy » 25 Mar 2018, 21:55

I have an LED Lenser with a dimmer switch on the battery box. No red light though, the Petzl seems to be a good option at the price.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 26 Mar 2018, 09:55

if its literally just a by yu feet torch get one of the types you find in tesco or the great outdoors, the ones with rows of small led's in them, theyre cack as throwers but last for ages.

failing that something like this will do for 50 yards or less..but iuts clickidy feckin clickidy modes including flash the epolepsey outa yu mate.

https://www.gearbest.com/headlights/pp_ ... ent=191425

the one i have draws about 250mah at the battery endon full...not bad i though for the output.
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

andy66

Post by andy66 » 26 Mar 2018, 14:54

Brooksy wrote:I have an LED Lenser with a dimmer switch on the battery box. No red light though, the Petzl seems to be a good option at the price.
Also have one of these led lensers and that has proven to be a good and reliable head torch. That again is easy 10 years old and both petzl and led lenser have had a battering.

Midnight.Sun

Post by Midnight.Sun » 05 Apr 2018, 11:09

Zebralight headlamps are on a league of their own, IMO the best headlamp illumination you can get for the comfort of your eyes. They're alwayes chasing the best of the newst LED's, care so much about its clour rendering index quality. Their so many models can be a little confusing, so basically they offer the choice between three sizes/weights: 18650 battery, CR123 battery, and AA battery. In each category there's three distance choices: First, a no reflector, no beam, just complete even flood, wide and even illumination for short distance. Second choice has a reflector behind frosty lens for short and mid range which is a less wider illumination, a bit brighter in the centre that fades at the periphery. Third choice is the relatively deep orange peel reflector for a bit longer distance, which will produce a light shape of a slightly defined main beam fading into a lower light spill around it. As for LED's choice and and its colour temperatures, there's everything possible to chose from, but so far NO double LED's (no white and red in the same torch), it is a more of a professional choice than a multitask one. Then maybe it's strongest feature is the user interface, very easy to navigate UI using one botton, the lighting levels are very well spaced, each mode has an easy to access sub mode, and the users can also program the modes to their preference to asure the maximum light power compatibility and overall satisfaction.

The prices of the models range somewhere between ~$60 to ~$90 internationally, the same value in all countries.