Raymax 100

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Raymax 100

Post by phoenix » 17 May 2018, 09:59

Are all the LEDs faulty?
LEDs don't really age - if they look dim that's because they are IR and your eyes are not sensitive to the "colour" where most of the light is coming from
DO NOT stare at the LEDs when illuminated for any length of time - your eyeballs will be getting fried and you won't know about it until the headaches start.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

chazuk

Post by chazuk » 17 May 2018, 19:39

Hi Bruce,

I’ve got a new RM50 raymax and that gives double the range picture on the cameras at night , I haven’t looked directly at the leds I plugged in the RM100 and with my phone I can remotely view the cctv cameras and it is only doing around half the throw distance compared to the smaller RM50.

I called raytec gave them the serial number of the rm100 and they said it’s older than 8 years as that’s when they moved over to electronic records ,do IR bulbs not have a life span ? Raytec seem to say 10 years on their products so not sure if they mean the bulbs or just covering them selves on the whole unit psu etc.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 17 May 2018, 21:14

Sorry for being pedantic, but these illuminators don't have "bulbs" they have LEDs.
LEDs have very long lifespans, but if the RM100 is more than 8 years old and it was on for several hours every night of its life, then the individual LEDs may have lost some of their intensity. It's also the case that the LEDs which were available more than 8 years ago were nothing like as powerful as the LEDs we have now.
Frankly, you either live with what the RM100 is putting out or scrap it.
Desoldering all the existing LEDs and resoldering replacements will almost certainly damage the main board.
You would also need to be sure that the replacement LEDs can be driven by the existing power supply and that the existing optics will fit the new LEDS perfectly to get the full output.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR