Raymax 100

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
slimbo1973

Raymax 100

Post by slimbo1973 » 14 Sep 2013, 14:45

Hi guys

Managed to purchase a Raymax 100 ir . It states it's good for 150 yards, just need to work out how to use the bloody thing . If it's as good as the Bosch I will be well happy

Footage to follow as soon as I sort it out

Stew
Shit Shot Stew

SikaStag

Re: Raymax 100

Post by SikaStag » 15 Sep 2013, 09:32

I think you may be in for a surprise. I bought one and I can confirm it is no where as good as a Bosch. Bruce and I opened it up and inside is about 170 little led's, the kind that you do not get reflow soldered to a board.

I stripped out the led's to fit in 18 Oslon led's as the spotter for my roof mounted set up.

The one I bought was a 240v model came with the box to connect it to, that was separate from the illuminator.

I am sure it will give good ir illumination. I personally would go for a Bosch over one of these any day.

Ian

Gogreen

Post by Gogreen » 08 Nov 2013, 00:38

The led-swap, was it easy?
Glued leds on star in place of the old leds?
Changed driver?
Do you have any pictures with the front cover removed?

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 08 Nov 2013, 07:55

Gogreen wrote:The led-swap, was it easy?
Glued leds on star in place of the old leds?
Changed driver?
Do you have any pictures with the front cover removed?
After fitting 12 Oslon black 850nm leds to a Bosch illuminator. It was actually a Derwent illuminator made and sold pre Bosch take over.
I can tell you 12 Oslons blacks are not as good as the 18 Oslon Dragon led's fitted to the Bosch. That was my experience.
Due to the results from that I did not carry on with adding 18 Oslon 850nm led's to the Raymax. I prefer to stick with the tried and tested Bosch. It gives me the best results. It is also lighter than the Raymax

The led swap is very easy in the Raymax. The screw holes are already there to screw the 3 led boards to the heat sink (or the body of the Raymax). I was using the XP drivers which was one for each 3 led board. Too expensive. I would now use the led supply buck driver. It can cope with I am sure 18 leds from the one driver. It works out around the same price or a bit less than one XP driver. I just bought 20 in from the USA cost $260. Duty £42.

Possibly a narrower degree lens would give better results. I am too busy now to have time to experiment with things.

Ian

Gogreen

Post by Gogreen » 08 Nov 2013, 22:10

Thx a lot for the explanation.
Think I would like to try them with a camera.
I assume the pre-modded Raymax lights have TIRs in front of the led, like your Oslon version.
(Have seen a pic of it somewhere on the forum.)

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 08 Nov 2013, 23:00

The Raymax has the led's that are in a glass dome with two wires coming from the glass dome. That is it. That is what is in side

I will take a pic of the inside and post it tomorrow. so you can see what is under the black cover. Just a flat plate with lots of these little led's side by side. Must be a couple of hundred easy. There is nothing to remove to give you a better angle for further throw. I tested it as a unit before stripping it down. It did have a good picture from the illumination but lacked any distance for what I wanted.

I am sorry for lack of a pic in the first reply. I hardly have time nowadays to do anything. For packing illuminators to send out. Builds have had to take a back seat.

Ian

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 09 Nov 2013, 18:39

Sorry for delay in getting some pics up. I was wrong re the type of leds used in the Raymax. The ones I was describing are from the Derwent, pre the Bosch take over. Apologies for that.

Just downloading the pic to Photobucket now. will send link after the Rugby finishes.

Ian

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 09 Nov 2013, 18:48

Pics of the led panel from the Raymax

Ian

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 09 Nov 2013, 19:05

ian, have you got a link for that buck driver please mate, i was going to order four xp drivers when i got round to it....glad i read this thread before i did
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

SikaStag

Post by SikaStag » 09 Nov 2013, 19:55