stripping the T20 and making a new pill

Nominate your favourite 'informative' posts to place here, and links links to suppliers too.
22-250jock

stripping the T20 and making a new pill

Post by 22-250jock » 18 Feb 2014, 19:07

right guys,

this is mainly for the noobie's

seeing as how the UF-T20 is probably the most popular torch we are now using for converting to IR, I thought maybe we should have a sort of 'How To' in regards to stripping it and changing/making a new drop in pill.

so here goes..........

firstly your going to need a small flat bladed screwdriver, or something similar......

looking down on the lens of the torch, you will see a retaining ring, with four notches in it...........I find it easiest to hold the blade of the screwdriver against one of the notches and turn the head with the other hand, using firm even pressure to unscrew the ring anticlockwise.

remove the retaining ring, the lens and the 'o' ring (if its loose).....

now the head of the torch unscrews down over the body.......

this now gives access to the brass pill........ you need a very small screw driver or bradawl, that will fit into one of the indents in the pill, then unscrew anticlockwise

the fully dissembled torch............assembly is done by reversing the procedure :thumbup:

Now to make a new pill...........

now, you can strip the driver out of the existing brass pill and reuse the pill and spring, but to be honest its better to keep the original, then you have a spare....

so you are going to need a new pill, driver (with matching amps for led you choose), spring and LED

as well as a few tools... wire cutters/strippers, soldering iron, small file(or emery cloth), watch makers screwdriver and a set of helping hands. also some thermal glue/paste and some solder

first of all, solder the positive contact spring to the driver.....this needs to be within the inner ring on the back of the driver..

next, use the file/emery cloth to rough up a small area on the lip of the brass pill, this will help with the soldering......

insert the driver into the back of the pill,.......you may need to sand/file the edge of the driver board to get rid of any bumps, but you want it to be a tight fit, don't forget to feed the two wires through the holes in the top of the pill

driver pressed into the pill....

you now need to earth the driver to the pill using a blob of solder,.......this is where roughing up the brass helps,

now you need to glue the star onto the pill, I personally use Artic Silver, a two part thermal glue........you only need a tiny spot, so that it is as thin a layer as poss between the pill and the star.
try and ensure the star sits flat and central, you have a few minutes to do this before the glue starts to go off. I use the two screws that come with the pill to help do this.......

nearly there......... just a case of shortening and stripping back the wires...........then tin the wires and the positive and negative pads that you are going to connect to on the star

and finally, its just a case of soldering the wires to the star, I use a small flat bladed watchmakers screwdriver to hold them in place while soldering

the finished pill

list of component suppliers,......others can be found in the 'stickies' in the illumination section ;)

artic silver.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-Alumin ... 0967042610
contact springs....http://www.fasttech.com/products/1616/1 ... -flashligh
brass pills.......http://www.fasttech.com/products/1616/1 ... hlight-diy

drivers for oslon black http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

hope this helps ;)

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,