viewfinder wiring info, please post your findings

Nominate your favourite 'informative' posts to place here, and links to suppliers too.
anthony1973

Re: viewfinder wiring info, please post your findings

Post by anthony1973 » 20 Feb 2016, 12:20

Hi guys I have a sony dcr-trv110e camcorder I have taken the view finder out but there is a ribbon cable im not sure which wire is for + - av I have tried wiring it up like some of the other posts above but will not work I managed to get a red led lit
it is 7.5v I have tried it from 5v up to 7.4v but still nothing any help much appreciated
thanks Anthony

I have tried to attach pictures but they will not show up for some reason??

Bullseyeft

Post by Bullseyeft » 23 Feb 2016, 01:53

Yurgen wrote:As per the picture, you attached, the camera does not have CRT viewfinder, but LCD one. So I'm not sure your experiment will be successful.
What is the reason that an LCD viewfinder will not work for this ?

Yurgen

Post by Yurgen » 23 Feb 2016, 05:09

I'm not electronics engineer so my conclusion is based on previous posts of other more experienced forum members.
First of all easy wiring is possible to do with analogue devices such as CRT. LCD screen is a digital device and will require PCB to make it work. There is no PCB I guess inside such a small viewfinder. Even though it it were inside, it is highly probable that wiring of it with the camera body is made with a ribbon cable which is a real headache.

Bullseyeft

Post by Bullseyeft » 23 Feb 2016, 22:01

Thank you for the explanation. As you can tell, I am no electronic engineer either. I figured that there was a good reason but I didn't know what the reason was until now. Thanks again.

Bullseyeft

Post by Bullseyeft » 25 Feb 2016, 21:12

Hey guys, I just received my $13 delivered camcorder from the bay. It is a JVC GR-SXM740. The whole thing works. So this morning I started taking it apart to get the vf off. There were about 8 or so tiny screws holding the right side cover on. After removing the screws the cover popped off and right there was the vf attachments. 4 screws and it was off. It was plugged into the circuit board with a little plug with 3 real wires, 1 brown and 2 black,no ribbon. So got out the volt meter and turned camcorder on. Found the power + 1 black and - 1 black and the V+ brown in about 2 minutes. The whole process of disassembly and reassembly took about 15 minutes and the camcorder still works fine without the vf. I may try to resell it to get some money back on the build. I have been trying to post pics but can't seem to get it right from my phone. I tried Dropbox and Photobucket to no avail. I even tried as an attachment and still won't do it. The GR-AX970 has a ribbon cable the other 3 on the owners manual should be fine.ImageImage Finally figured out the picture problem. I can not do it from my phone at all but pretty easy on the laptop. Anyway here they are.
Last edited by Bullseyeft on 06 Mar 2016, 00:25, edited 5 times in total.

Hardy

Post by Hardy » 01 Mar 2016, 19:37

I have a view finder from a JVC GR-AX860 camera.With a ribbon cable.

I know the viewer works fine but I gather it may be a problem if it has a ribbon cable.
If I can identify the cable connections (without having the videocamera) will this viewer be ok for a near eye unit?
I am a numpty in these matters but would appreciate some guidance.

PS I have put together a couple of add ons with monitor previously but fancy doing a near eye unit.
Last edited by Hardy on 01 Mar 2016, 22:45, edited 2 times in total.

Bullseyeft

Post by Bullseyeft » 01 Mar 2016, 20:37

I think it would be a lot easier if it didn't have the ribbon and had real wires. I am in no way an expert at this. I have only completed 2 builds, a rolaids rail style and a near eye with a viewfinder. There are a bunch of guys here that do some awesome builds that may be able to help you out.

Bullseyeft

Post by Bullseyeft » 06 Mar 2016, 00:19

JVC GR-AXM341U is an easy 3 wire setup. 1-Brown is Video, 2 Blacks 1 is Pos and 1 is Neg.This is the second JVC that I have messed with and both had 3 wires and worked well. Image

Yurgen

Post by Yurgen » 09 Mar 2016, 11:22

Good finding! Especially referring to large number of that kind of used JVC cameras on the market.
What voltage did you use to make this CRT working?
Does it have any potentiometers on the PCB to adjust brighness?

Jirka

Post by Jirka » 09 Mar 2016, 11:52

Almost all of them take 5 Volts for power. The brightness can sometimes be adjusted, but not enough in my opinion.