Bore cleaning

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
Max

Bore cleaning

Post by Max » 24 Apr 2016, 20:31

Hi all is it worth cleaning the bore on an air rifle?

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Bore cleaning

Post by sunndog » 24 Apr 2016, 20:52

Not if its shooting straight.....cant remember the last time i cleaned an air gun barrel
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Ranger22

Post by Ranger22 » 24 Apr 2016, 20:56

If you change your brand of pellet - clean
If you notice a change in POI- clean

I haven't cleaned mine in years, I use Defiant pellets and nothing else. Bore stays amazingly clean, even after several thousand pellets bring fired

Max

Post by Max » 25 Apr 2016, 18:52

Thanks guys :thumbup:

snipertez

Post by snipertez » 30 Apr 2016, 08:19

Most barrels are worth scrubbing clean when new, to remove storage grease/lube. Otherwise as above, only when the accuracy goes off. Although, I've found in most cases a good clean isn't necessary when the accuracy starts to go off, as a few felt pellets will do the job (6 or 7 slim rolly filters works for .177, reg filters for .22) without the need to then fully re-lead the barrel. And in the case of my HW100 with AA Fields (.177) this can take 50-70 shots to re-lead.

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 17 Sep 2016, 15:34

three kinds of clean..

1 a bore clean... old barrel starts farting about what ever you do, two options, first the lands have gone..or secondly its choked to the grooves and over brimming.
the bore clean is a brush..and dun loads till nothing dirt wise comes out, can revive or let you know the barrels chewed.

2 the 'bore clean' people think, fishing line and a good cotton shirt bit tied to fit a fraction past a squeeky pull..thwooooooo up like a hysrolic sound at the right speed is a light clean, a sqwee-uk in jaggered pulls isa heavey clean.(after the barrels been bedded in a heavey pull is for the anoting wtf is up with it nar and the hysrolic cleen pull is probly enough for every day type cleans, or when the faffing starts.

tuther clean is the 'i clean mar barrel' statement lol..sleaning felts, each n ever time..erghh not a fan, i have tried them but, inevetably ended up pulling through any way, so a waiste of money.

the routine from new or bore cleaned..a diferent skirt size now shoots better or ffs flyers and no grouping..1-2 tins of 500 later the group just closed to oooo that nice, thats bedded, you can tell if you barrel/pellet combo likes a bedded, or a dirty, or a clean barrel by observing as you shoot sort of thing, unfortunatlyits do it and see.
(most run bedded in better..then a hydrolick pull through keeps them there, watch at the colour of the cloth and note how the gun shoots, should never run white clean..ish just a smidgion trace of grey, black is propper dirt that rots it out or gunks it up).
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

Max

Post by Max » 18 Sep 2016, 13:03

Cheers for all that mate

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 18 Sep 2016, 18:06

np
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'