Pellet Trouble?

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
Cottis

Pellet Trouble?

Post by Cottis » 30 May 2016, 18:39

I run an S510 in .177 and for the last 10,000 shots, have not experienced any issue whatsoever using the same Air Arms Diabolo in 4.52mm.

I ran out of pellets recently, so grabbed a coupla tins from the gunsmiths, ensuring again they were still my guns favourite 4.52 Diabolos.

The other day I missed a rabbit at 35yards in benign conditions (clean miss) and felt it had shot right of target. I put it down to odd wind, as I was certain it was a good shot. Next rabbit at 32yrds was also missed. Ok, so I quickly set up a target and took some shots to find it shooting about 4inches right but not a consistent grouping. Some were closer to the bull but others were miles off and were nothing to do with poor shots or wind. I thought something was up with scope, or stock screws or maybe a barrel issue or even a lose mod.

Went home, checked all screws were tight (they were) and took off mod, checked the baffles, all looked clean and free of debris. Fired a couple of cleaning pellets down the bore (which I never have to do but thought I would just be sure) then checked all mount screws etc. I then dialed out zero and dialed it back in and went back to the field. Shot some groups, slightly better but just not right. Normally at 35yrds, this rifle shoots groups the size of a drawing pin head.

I have not touched the scope in over 18months in terms of zero or mounting points. It is wound from 10 mag down to 3-4 for NV add on shooting and pretty much left on 40yrd focus wise. The barrel has not been smacked, nothing has changed apart from the new tins of pellets.

I do not have any measuring tools to check but I am now almost certain there is a lack of uniform sizing of the pellets I bought. Is there a way of proving this without buying expensive equipment. If this is the case, I would be very upset with Air Arms. I mean I go through the tins each time I go shooting. I only take 30 pellets tops with me (10 in the mag and 20 in a foam padded Kinder egg thingy) as I never shoot more than a dozen on a good day, normally much less. More at night but only do night shooting here and there.

Anyone else ever had this issue or have I just been lucky up till now. I could accept a new batch shooting slightly different and would be ok re-zeroing for this but there is just no consistency with this batch. Bit loathed to chuck 20quids worth of lead out in the bin without giving Air Arms a piece of my mind.

simonsays

Re: Pellet Trouble?

Post by simonsays » 31 May 2016, 20:23

Try pulling some cleaning patches through the barrel and a different batch of pellets.Either dirty barrel or dodgy/incompatible pellets can cause the spraying. A mate had similar issues with his hw100 and it was dodgy batch of pellets. I had something similar on my new Compatto and the pull throughs did the trick when cleaning felts didn't.

Good luck and let us know if you cure it.

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 01 Jun 2016, 14:54

Thanks for the input simon, i will let you know how i get on but must say i am very impressed with air arms cust serv. Although i cannot.prove it yet, i am certain it is the pellets and air arms have taken the batch and die numbers and are organising some replacements (hopefully the same batch/die number as the last lot i had which shot perfectly)

Historically, i have never been a barrel cleaner for either air rifles or rimfires. Having shot an unholy amount of lead in my lifetime, ive never come close to experiencing this before, so my money is on the pellets. Hope so as i cannot be getting into barrel cleaning haha. I guess i would need a weighted pull cord, as that is the only way i could imagine getting it thru from the breech end. Assume it should be pulled through from breech to end of barrel rather than the other way round?

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 02 Jun 2016, 08:31

Cottis wrote:
Historically, i have never been a barrel cleaner for either air rifles or rimfires. Having shot an unholy amount of lead in my lifetime, ive never come close to experiencing this before, so my money is on the pellets. Hope so as i cannot be getting into barrel cleaning haha. I guess i would need a weighted pull cord, as that is the only way i could imagine getting it thru from the breech end. Assume it should be pulled through from breech to end of barrel rather than the other way round?
Me neither.... I only looked into it recently when I bought a new AirArms S510 to shoot Drats and various forums etc recommended cleaning the barrel of any traces of transit grease/oil before firing...and when losing accuracy or changing ammo brand.

Didn't want to spend the £20 odd on buying a "proper" pull through kit then found a YouTube clip on a simple diy version........ It's just a piece of decent poundage fishing line - I found a length of fly line, doubled up and knotted near the end but the clever bit was feeding this through a drinking straw before sticking that into the end of the barrel and using it to feed the line in.

Especially useful on the S510 as the barrel muzzle is set back inside the shroud and the straw I used is smaller in diameter than the .22 bore so I could feed the length of the straw in and then withdraw it whilst feeding more line in.....and so on until the loop appeared at the breech. Stuck a Parker Hale .22 patch in the loop, added a bit of white spirit and pulled it back through the barrel.

Repeat as required... I was quite surprised at the amount of gunk that came out.
:thumbup:

Cheers

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 02 Jun 2016, 08:38

fizzbangwhallop wrote:
Cottis wrote:
Me neither.... I only looked into it recently when I bought a new AirArms S510 to shoot Drats and various forums etc recommended cleaning the barrel of any traces of transit grease/oil before firing...and when losing accuracy or changing ammo brand.

Didn't want to spend the £20 odd on buying a "proper" pull through kit then found a YouTube clip on a simple diy version........ It's just a piece of decent poundage fishing line - I found a length of fly line, doubled up and knotted near the end but the clever bit was feeding this through a drinking straw before sticking that into the end of the barrel and using it to feed the line in.

Especially useful on the S510 as the barrel muzzle is set back inside the shroud and the straw I used is smaller in diameter than the .22 bore so I could feed the length of the straw in and then withdraw it whilst feeding more line in.....and so on until the loop appeared at the breech. Stuck a Parker Hale .22 patch in the loop, added a bit of white spirit and pulled it back through the barrel.

Repeat as required... I was quite surprised at the amount of gunk that came out.
:thumbup:

Cheers

Fizz
8-)
Cheers Fizz.

That is quite interesting, as I have previously had an S200, an S410 and now an S510 and never cleaned any of them. The S510 has had the least amount of shots through it and I imagine they all use the same barrel.

Like your "hack" for barrel cleaning. Will give it a go if new batch of pellets do not sort issue

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 02 Jun 2016, 11:15

Think this was the fellah..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HtNnfNOUg

I wouldn't use WD40 on a gun though :thumbdown: I used white spirit as recommended elsewhere.

Cheers

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 02 Jun 2016, 19:31

If i may interject, buy some nylon compressor tube with an o/d of about 0.120" for 177 and use a patch of sorts or as I do with .22, a nylon tube of about 0.200" and put some thin wire down the tube, doubled, to re thread your patch at the breech end. Shouldn't scratch or foul if you do it gently boys. You could try Epic Ride - White Lightning synthetic, leaves a slightly waxed surface. Is flammable.

stillair1

Post by stillair1 » 02 Jun 2016, 19:47

I use a loop of sea trace which is plastic coated wire, closing off the blind end with a bit of masking tape to form a small loop. The open ends are just rapped around and bound to an old wooden file handle. I use mine with napier rifle clean cloth. Just trim the width by about 1/4" for .177 bores before you pull a bit through otherwise it will get stuck. When the coating shows sign of abrading, chuck it and get another bit. I use mine by feeding the loop into a straw and then feeding the straw down the bore until it peaks out of the breach, pulling the straw out with the wire loop inside. A bit fiddly on a rapid block but ok. :thumbup:
Last edited by stillair1 on 03 Jun 2016, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 03 Jun 2016, 17:40

The sea trace is just as good as my tube and is worthy of note. I would say to Cottis that if you purchased some nylon tube then you could push a pellet down the barrel from the breech and look out for the consistency of the rifling marks and any possible damage when it exits without any stress applied. You may well be surprised at the force you need to apply with some brands of pellet. Taper the end and be brave. All barrels are not equal and just like some pellet brands can be absolute crap given the manufacturing expertise and quality control employed at the time - accordingly. Simon at Daystate has a wealth of knowledge as does Allen, as does the chap at Staffordshire Custom Rifles. Will they talk to you - only if you hold their attention.

stillair1

Post by stillair1 » 03 Jun 2016, 20:49

"All barrels are not equal and just like some pellet brands can be absolute crap given the manufacturing expertise and quality control employed at the time". Never a truer word spoken. :thumbup: