My nv journey.

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
Manthing

My nv journey.

Post by Manthing » 08 Jul 2016, 10:19

Been air gun shooting for longer than than I've been drinking alcohol, mostly around paddocks and stables with my trusty 97K. Then a couple of months ago we moved into a farm cottage with permission over the 800 acres including various areas of woodland.
Well there's not much in the way of artificial light when you're 3/4 of a mile from the nearest road so I dropped my mini maglite onto the side of the Hawk 4-12x50, which was an improvement but the incandescent bulb could be bettered by a 90lumens led bulb and a base button. This worked well, until I fired the gun, then the led went out and I had to off and on again until it packed in completely...
So a gun light was purchased, a Tracer Ledray F600 to be precise. This setup still works very nicely but the rats are getting a bit lamp shy.
Then I tuck the good lady to look for a co2 pistol so she could plink in the garden, big mistake, it ended up costing me a small fortune for a BSA ultra se, yukon 4.6x42 nv and all the fill bottle and stuff.
Whilst it's better at the job, it doesn't give the satisfaction of the 97K and will never replace it as my goto gun during the day time.
So in a couple of months I've gone from nowt to a reasonable setup, in my opinion.
Happy ratting.

warbucks

Re: My nv journey.

Post by warbucks » 08 Jul 2016, 14:05

Having shot rats by the 10's of thousands, i can tell you that single shot rifles are not the right tool for ratting, for rats you need a multi shot pcp and night vision, its the perfect set up for rat shooting.

Dave (warbucks)

Marky610

Post by Marky610 » 08 Jul 2016, 16:16

warbucks wrote:Having shot rats by the 10's of thousands, i can tell you that single shot rifles are not the right tool for ratting, for rats you need a multi shot pcp and night vision, its the perfect set up for rat shooting.

Dave (warbucks)
Nope, 10 shot semi-auto rimmy is king, bit of collateral damage at times but hay :mrgreen:
Land Rovers, who would be daft enough to own one?

Maxi

Post by Maxi » 08 Jul 2016, 18:20

I miss my HW77K, as a boy I hunted for hours with that gun and it was sooooo accurate, but for serious pest control the multi shot PCP is essential I think. Enjoy your new outfit mate.

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 08 Jul 2016, 18:27

Marky610 wrote:
warbucks wrote:Having shot rats by the 10's of thousands, i can tell you that single shot rifles are not the right tool for ratting, for rats you need a multi shot pcp and night vision, its the perfect set up for rat shooting.

Dave (warbucks)
Nope, 10 shot semi-auto rimmy is king, bit of collateral damage at times but hay :mrgreen:
:thumbup:

Man after my own heart ............ even the military accept collateral damage so who are we to argue :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Maxi

Post by Maxi » 08 Jul 2016, 18:40

rodp wrote:
Marky610 wrote:

Dave (warbucks)

Man after my own heart ............ even the military accept collateral damage so who are we to argue :lol:
OK - if that's your thinking then let's go pump action 410 husher and laser designator :shock: :lolno:

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 08 Jul 2016, 18:49

Maxi wrote:
rodp wrote:
Marky610 wrote: Nope, 10 shot semi-auto rimmy is king, bit of collateral damage at times but hay :mrgreen:

OK - if that's your thinking then let's go pump action 410 husher and laser designator :shock: :lolno:

I like to make sure, 3 1/2" magum semi with buckshot, you don't get many runners :thumbup: Anyone for rat soup ? :lol: :lol:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Maxi

Post by Maxi » 08 Jul 2016, 19:19

rodp wrote:
Maxi wrote:
rodp wrote:

I like to make sure, 3 1/2" magum semi with buckshot, you don't get many runners :thumbup: Anyone for rat soup ? :lol: :lol:
Ha, like yer plan but no BB as it tends to bounce at close range it could get naughty :shifty:

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 08 Jul 2016, 19:26

Maxi wrote:
rodp wrote:
Maxi wrote:

Ha, like yer plan but no BB as it tends to bounce at close range it could get naughty :shifty:

Yeah, it could sting in the morning :lol:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 08 Jul 2016, 19:53

:wave: Knew a old work mate who had a Italian semi-auto 9mm garden gun on his certificate, he loved it but the rimfire 9mm shot cartridges increased to a dull price, he was also keen on moving his chicken run and wheeled shed and overdosing the rat holes with 101 octane petrol, thinking back he would have made a good circus act when he was on his game. He reckoned that it was a occupational hazard to get a singed hair cut when things backfired :lol: Health and Safety would now not be amused at all :clap:
Thanks Phil.
ImageImage